lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car
Gas Club Car Gas DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-11-2021, 09:45 PM   #1
metalstudman
Not Yet Wild

Default Has anyone else turned the CC DS differential backwards to use a Polaris motor?

I'm looking to compare notes with anyone that might have used a Polaris 250 2-stroke on a Club Car DS. I did try and search for this type topic but was unsuccessful, please excuse me if this was already talked about.
metalstudman is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-12-2021, 06:42 AM   #2
meimk
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Re: Has anyone else turned the CC DS differential backwards to use a Polaris motor?

Many have run the "clockwise" Club Car transaxle successfully in a "counter clockwise" rotation. Since almost any other 4 stroke engine you can find runs counter clockwise. Shift into reverse to actually go forward and vice versa. Gear ratios are a little different (reverse is faster than forward), but it can be done.
I'm not particularly familiar with that specific Polaris engine, but any of the stock 2 strokes in a golf cart were equipped with just a differential, no transmission, and would run the engine backwards to achieve reverse. That said, I see no reason you couldn't run the engine in just the one direction (cw) and use the transmission part of the transaxle as it was originally intended.
meimk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2021, 12:17 PM   #3
charlie99
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: Has anyone else turned the CC DS differential backwards to use a Polaris motor?

You might look through the 'sled motor' transplant sub-forum. Not too many posts over the years, but may be helpful, esp. the sticky at the top.
https://buggiesgonewild.com/forumdisplay.php?f=92
charlie99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2021, 12:45 PM   #4
rib33024

Turn the engine around and you wont have to change the rear end
rib33024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2021, 03:36 PM   #5
metalstudman
Not Yet Wild

Thanks for the responses- I did read through the sled swaps before I did my swap. I was interested in any adverse effects on the differential/tranny from the swap from long term usage-if any is known. I ended up putting the rear end in a go kart chassis just to see if it would work and couldn't believe how easy/simple the swap was.I'd found many motor swaps in a golf cart on You Tube but not in a Club Car.
The Polaris 250 motor I used is out of a Trail Boss/Trail Blazer (very common,cheap & plentiful) and these motors have about 25HP so I didn't figure it was too much HP for the rear end. The reason I turned the rear end around was to match the orientation of the CVT & to get it closer to the rear end for using a stock Polaris belt. I haven't GPS'ed it yet for top speed, but soon. I used a stock driven w/heavy duty CCW spring.
Any other advise/info/opinions would be welcome!
Old 06-12-2021, 08:19 PM   #6
metalstudman
Not Yet Wild

I finally found a post on this subject-"Running C/C rearend in reverse for forward". I'm pretty sure "2 STROKING" did what I did back in 2013. If anyone has any other input it would be appreciated. So far this configuration seems to work well.
Old 06-14-2021, 07:03 PM   #7
metalstudman
Not Yet Wild

It only GPS'd @ 34mph which is slower than it felt as it get's to top speed really fast, it has great torque for climbing.
Old 06-19-2021, 09:32 PM   #8
metalstudman
Not Yet Wild

I know this is a golf kart forum but since info on here helped me make another "Fun Machine" using golf cart parts- I figured I'd share the outcome & proof it works well.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c4la7uhsneA
Old 06-20-2021, 02:35 PM   #9
Fairtax4me
Bonafide Nincompoop

Club Car

That thing rips man! Looks like she's having a blast! Keeping the kids happy is number 2 right behind keeping momma happy.
If you could find a set of high speed gears for that axle it would really roll!
Fairtax4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2021, 06:27 PM   #10
metalstudman
Not Yet Wild

The wife loves it! This was really an experiment- The fact that it was such an easy fabrication & combination of power plant & rear end. I may make another one since it's so easy to operate.
Does the torque factor fall off a lot with the high speed gear set? I'd rather have good torque over high speed.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car