lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 02-06-2014, 11:31 AM   #1
scooterman
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Welding cables vrs regular cables

Is it worth the extra cost to get the finer stranded wire over the regular battery cable type? I know finer strands can carry more current than the larger diameter strands that isn't in question but any issues with the stiff cables over the easier to route finer stranded cables, the cost is considerable.
scooterman is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 02-06-2014, 11:41 AM   #2
Sergio
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Re: Welding cables vrs regular cables

There is no current carrying advantage in the finer strands, that only happens in high frequency.
As long as the cable is not too stiff where it will put stress on the battery posts, solenoid post, etc, it will work the same as welding cables.
Sergio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 12:36 PM   #3
scooterman
Gone Wild

Club Car

Your right I was thinking open air capacity. It does look tight under there so maybe that is why the welding cables are mentioned.
Thanks for the info.
Old 02-06-2014, 01:50 PM   #4
Volt_Ampere
Gone Wild
Yamaha

Finer strands make the cable more flexible. Good for welding cable. Not necessary but ok for cart use.
Volt_Ampere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 05:39 AM   #5
Dale-D
Gone Wild

Club Car

I got mine at Handyman Hardware in New Iberia, off of Lewis Street.
I bought 12ft of #4 welding cable, 12 connectors and got the Shrink tube at Ralphs

Took me about 30 minutes to build every cable and cost under $30
Just use a vise and a propane torch to heat the fittings until it melts the solder. Be sure the fitting and cable is clean, have the cable inside the fitting before you heat it and fill it with solder til it is full, allow them to cool, put the heat shrink tube over the fittings and heat it slightly until it shrinks tightly around the fitting and wire to form a tight seal.

Dale D
Dale-D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 08:30 AM   #6
scooterman
Gone Wild

Club Car

Hey Dale I was thinking of that, I wasn't sure how much I needed but is has to be much cheaper than 250$ online at some of these places. My brother-in law wants to do his also so we may just get enough to do both at the same time.

Thanks for the info.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale-D View Post
I got mine at Handyman Hardware in New Iberia, off of Lewis Street.
I bought 12ft of #4 welding cable, 12 connectors and got the Shrink tube at Ralphs

Took me about 30 minutes to build every cable and cost under $30
Just use a vise and a propane torch to heat the fittings until it melts the solder. Be sure the fitting and cable is clean, have the cable inside the fitting before you heat it and fill it with solder til it is full, allow them to cool, put the heat shrink tube over the fittings and heat it slightly until it shrinks tightly around the fitting and wire to form a tight seal.

Dale D
Old 02-07-2014, 09:14 AM   #7
Dale-D
Gone Wild

Club Car

You're welcome
I think I got about 20 connectors
I don't rememmber for sure, just count the wires you need to make and double that for the connectors
Get with Scottyb about the Bolt-Thru connector
Use 2 wrenches where ever there is a nut top & bottom
DO NOT LET THEM TURN or you will screw up the connection on the other side of that fitting. Be especially careful on the motor part.............

PS: I did mine and I did NOT notice any difference at all, not in speed or torque
I am running a Electrical Motor Products Hi Speed replacement motor on my cart

Where do you work

I am a contract Petro Engineer ( Contract Company Man )

Dale D

Last edited by Dale-D; 02-07-2014 at 09:17 AM.. Reason: left something out
Dale-D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 10:29 AM   #8
scooterman
Gone Wild

Club Car

Keystone Engineering out of Lafayette, I'm an Industrial Electrical designer. So the electrical part is fun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale-D View Post
You're welcome
I think I got about 20 connectors
I don't rememmber for sure, just count the wires you need to make and double that for the connectors
Get with Scottyb about the Bolt-Thru connector
Use 2 wrenches where ever there is a nut top & bottom
DO NOT LET THEM TURN or you will screw up the connection on the other side of that fitting. Be especially careful on the motor part.............

PS: I did mine and I did NOT notice any difference at all, not in speed or torque
I am running a Electrical Motor Products Hi Speed replacement motor on my cart

Where do you work

I am a contract Petro Engineer ( Contract Company Man )

Dale D
Old 02-07-2014, 01:02 PM   #9
rbuggies48IN
Gone Wild
Mixed Breed

acquired this from other posts.

Although the resistance of the cables seems tiny (#6 = 0.00047 ohms/ft vs. #2 = 0.00015 ohms/ft), the voltage drop is significant when large currents are present, which will reduce performance. So for the high power motor, which use big amps from quick standing starts or more continuous energy when climbing hills, use large diameter cables and keep them as short as possible in in order to enhance performance. If your cables are warm after a typical 'run', they are telling you a larger cable will be a good idea, unless they are heating-up from a poor contact/connection. Change all cables to-and-from FNR, motor, solenoid, controller and batteries for optimum results. Also make sure your cable connectors match-up in size for proper connection to cables and battery posts.
rbuggies48IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 11:32 PM   #10
UltraFast
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by scooterman View Post
Keystone Engineering out of Lafayette, I'm an Industrial Electrical designer. So the electrical part is fun
Keystone sounds familiar. You don't happen to work on power plant turbine generators do you?
UltraFast is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car