lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-04-2010, 12:51 PM   #1
skyline
Not Yet Wild

Default Buggy quit like pulling the plug.

Our 1997 48v Club Car was running great, fully charged (and charging) 6-8v batteries. While driving full throttle the drive flat out quit. Batts all test OK 8+v on each, 51v on the series. When I rolled the unit into the shop and turn the key on I hear the energy engaging at the solonoid and when I depress the pedal I hear a hum in the motor but no movement to the drive. Any suggestions as to the problem?
skyline is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 07-04-2010, 07:32 PM   #2
shadowman
The Last Moja Morani

Club Car

Default Re: Buggy quit like pulling the plug.

can you try putting your charger on to see if it works...............let us know cause that could narrow it down greatly...................................
shadowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2010, 08:59 AM   #3
OLD MEC
Gone Wild

Club Car

The most common problem is bad battery cable connections, have you checked and double checked them? You didnt say what model 1997 Club Car you have? Does it have a lever under drivers leg that controls F&R ( SERIES MOTOR ) or do you have a rocker type switch mounted on a box in same position under leg ( REGEN MOTOR )? Testing will be different depending on model.
It could be as simple as a bad internal contact in solenoid, and if you can jack up the rear wheels and block fronts to stop any motion and when pressing pedal while tapping with some thing heavy on solenoid and see if it works, and if so you need to replace solenoid? ( WARNING WITH WHEELS OFF GROUND IT ONLY TAKES A FEW SECONDS OF HIGH REV'S TO DESTROY A MOTOR )
OLD MEC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 06:54 AM   #4
skyline
Not Yet Wild

After spending most of a day searching for a loose/broken wire I found it. The heavy green power cable running to the motor was broken at the connection point away from the motor. It is attached up behind the seat and not visible. The connector was still attached to the cable covering and secure but the wires making up the cable were broken, thus no connection. When I tugged on it it seemed solid but when I took it off to examine completely (and to clean the connections) the break was visible. I replaced the cable and all is good again. Thanks.
skyline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 08:50 AM   #5
OLD MEC
Gone Wild

Club Car

Glad you found the problem, as you can see by your hidden cable problem, is why we always say "CHECK AND DOUBLE CHECK CABLES AND CONNECTIONS" and as SCOTTYB always says "GRAG THE CABLES AND PULL".
NOW ENJOY YOUR CART.
OLD MEC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 09:41 AM   #6
shadowman
The Last Moja Morani

Club Car

same here it dowes no good looking at them you have to grab tug and twist...........thanks for posting your findings................................
shadowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car