lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Big Block Talk!
Big Block Talk! Everything about swapping a big block engine into your cart!

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-30-2009, 08:48 AM   #1
enjoylife..itsshort
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Where do I find these big blocks?

Been looking at some of these posts and now I'm thinking about a bigger HP engine. I have a 99 EZ that I'm going to work on this winter to trick it out. I probably wouldn't do a motor swap until next winter (wife's already peeing and moaning about money for this) but I'd like to start looking for an engine now. I found two B&G 18 HP on craigslist for $300 but didn't know if that was good or bad. If I knew what they were mounted to I may be able to look a little better.
Also, when all was said and done, with a used motor, how much am I looking to spend on a swap? Am I looking at a happy wife or is she gonna wanna leave me? Which may be an option........nah. Thanks in advance for any input.
enjoylife..itsshort is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 09-30-2009, 09:19 AM   #2
Boris
DELETED

Default Re: Where do I find these big blocks?

Welcome to BGW 'short' ..........

You won't find very many running B&S 18's (from what I've seen anywhere) for $300 ....... much less two of them. And if you're talking a "two fer" $300 thats a no-brainer. Even if bad comes to worse you could sell one of them to pay for both .......... OR, you can paint one of them pink, put a big ribbon on it, and tell the wife that it's the latest style of European headwear ........ ....... ALL the girls in Pa-Ree (Paris) are wearing them.

Seriously, If you don't want them, pass along the craigslist location to your brethren here at BGW.

Good luck
Boris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2009, 11:58 AM   #3
enjoylife..itsshort
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

One of them was $350 but it has sold and the other is $300 and still available. I just got an email back from this guy and he says it's a running Briggs v-twin but not a vanguard. Does this sound good? I've noticed in the other threads that Vanguards seem to be the engine to use. What should I roughly expect to pay for a decent running engine? By the way, if I do find something that I don't need I will pass it along.
Old 09-30-2009, 12:29 PM   #4
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

$300 is a very fair price even ebay bargain basement sales for the motor new average 3-4 xs that plus....you will need accessories to make it run and convert to Golf Cart. If you can assess the motor condition ( take and read a compression test) and locate and fit a clutch and belt and wire a new ignition, etc. on and on then YES a craigslist motor is do-able...... but if you are like most people who are not small engine mechanics then you may be better off saving up your money until you can buy a turn key big block kit from our sponsor Carts Plus Parts
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2009, 12:30 PM   #5
Boris
DELETED

That still sounds like a good price for an 18 HP engine. You might want to give one of our sponsors a shout. ....... Tom @ CPP gets a good share of my questions ........ but any of our sponsors are I'm sure capable of letting you know the difference.

Good luck .......... and take some pics. We like pics in here.
Boris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2009, 02:07 PM   #6
enjoylife..itsshort
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

I am gonna wait a while longer for the engine, I've got a little bit tied up in the cart with the stuff I am going to do this winter to it. Since I don't plan on doing the motor swap till next winter maybe I'll fall into a great deal. I'll keep lookin'. The $300 18HP was on Craigslist for New Castle PA if anyone else is interested. I do appreciate the input and once I start the tear down next month I will definitely put up some pictures. One question for everyone...I know its a preference choice but which do you prefer and why....lo-pros or lifted with large tires? My family wants me to go with the lo-pros which are actually starting to appeal to me. I have an 83 CJ-7 that runs on 33's so I've always been partial to lifts. But again, those lo's are starting to look good. Just askin'.
Old 09-30-2009, 02:38 PM   #7
DOOmsman
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Lo pros = no off road
DOOmsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2009, 02:38 PM   #8
cuzky
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Just make sure the motor is horizonal shaft .
cuzky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2009, 01:09 PM   #9
Monsterezgokid
Kid no more!!

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuzky View Post
Just make sure the motor is horizonal shaft .
1" or 1 1/8" Straight shaft
Monsterezgokid is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Big Block Talk!