lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-16-2017, 03:56 PM   #1
Unicorn
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default How to replace Club Car DS Run/Tow Switch

Just got my new run tow switch but I don't know how to replace it. I disconnected the old one but how do I remove it and put the new one in? Does the knew one fit into the old rubber switch cover? Does it get removed from the top or bottom? I have to be careful because I cannot put it into Tow. Thanks for any help. IMG_2908.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Unicorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-16-2017, 04:50 PM   #2
jakesnake27
Gone Wild

Default Re: How to replace Club Car DS Run/Tow Switch

Disconnect the main battery pack leads, so you don't accidentally fry something. I've never replaced one, but I am assuming that the rubber slips off the old switch, revealing a nut at the base. Remove that nut then slide the switch out from beneath the plate. Reverse procedure for installing the new one.
jakesnake27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2017, 04:50 PM   #3
shaffer88
Gone Wild

Looks like it's just the basic toggle switch on the top side of the base of the switch you'll see a hex nut. Loosen this and it should drop out to the bottom
shaffer88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2017, 04:52 PM   #4
Unicorn
Gone Wild

Club Car

Since I can't put the cart in "tow" am I safe disconnecting the main leads first? Also. Could I just disconnect the run/tow switch each time rather than replacing it? Does disconnecting it do that same as switching it?

Old 05-16-2017, 06:06 PM   #5
TahoeDawgZ71
revolutiongolfcars.com

Club Car

Unhooking the wires from the switch is the same thing as putting it in tow. Unhook the switch, Unhook the batteries, take an adjustable wrench and loosen the nut at the bottom of the rubber boot and remove it. Remove switch. Install new switch. Tighten nut. Connect batteries. Connect wiring to switch. Enjoy.
TahoeDawgZ71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2017, 06:10 PM   #6
Kashmir
Gone Wild
Club Car

Default How to replace Club Car DS Run/Tow Switch

That switch is SIMPLE to replace. The rubber boot screws onto the switch. It keeps the switch water resistant. After you get the rubber boot off, there is a nut holding the switch onto the plate. Just use a pair of pliers and loosen the nut and take it off. The switch will fall through the hole and you stick the new one through the hole (from the bottom) and tighten the nut then screw the boot back on.

***this literally took me longer to type than it would take to replace the switch.

Kashmir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2017, 06:15 PM   #7
shaffer88
Gone Wild

^^^^^^^
shaffer88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2017, 04:56 PM   #8
Unicorn
Gone Wild

Club Car

Thanks everyone. Kashmir was right in that it takes only a few minutes to replace. I disconnect the old one, used a wrench to unscrew the switch. The old switch just falls through as you all said and the rubber cap remains connected to the nut that you reuse. Reverse those directions to install the new one. Very easy. Tested and works. Thanks. What makes the run/tow switches fail? The one I replaced is a genuine Club Car switch identical to the one I just installed from TahoeDawg71 and was dated 10-22-14. Seems early to go bad.

Old 05-17-2017, 05:16 PM   #9
Kashmir
Gone Wild
Club Car

just like anything mechanical, electrical, electronic or hydraulic....
Some last for years and years, other can go at any time.
You just never know when something is going to fail.
Of course if this switch was subject to a lot of the elements, that may have caused a premature death. While the switch part has the rubber boot, the rest of the switch is exposed underneath. Anyone will tell you with a DS cart, running in the rain or mud is going to make the battery compartment a mess in short order.
Kashmir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2017, 05:17 PM   #10
Unicorn
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kashmir View Post
just like anything mechanical, electrical, electronic or hydraulic....
Some last for years and years, other can go at any time.
You just never know when something is going to fail.
Of course if this switch was subject to a lot of the elements, that may have caused a premature death. While the switch part has the rubber boot, the rest of the switch is exposed underneath. Anyone will tell you with a DS cart, running in the rain or mud is going to make the battery compartment a mess in short order.

Does the DS have less protection underneath than other carts? Is that why you say that?

Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car