lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 01-27-2015, 11:44 AM   #1
jrem13
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Thumbs up 98 Club Car 36v resistor no micro(limit) switch!

Hi all,

I recently had an issue with my 98 Club Car 36v resistor cart suddenly not wanting to move. While checking out what might be the source of the issue I noticed that my F&R switch had no micro switch/limit switch in place whatsoever. The key switch has been loose since I've had it and the cart has also been able to work without the key which I'm guessing is a direct result of the micro switch not being present. Up until yesterday my cart has run fine like this since I purchased it a few months ago yet am wondering if not having this in place could potentially cause any kind of future damage/issue to the F&R or other components other than working without a key?
Thanks in advance!
jrem13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 01-27-2015, 11:47 AM   #2
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Default Re: 98 Club Car 36v resistor no micro(limit) switch!

Welcome to BGW. The micro or limit switch is merely a safety device. The idea is to have a few switches in place to prevent the cart from accidentally moving by requiring the operator activated a sequence of switches to go.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2015, 12:22 PM   #3
jrem13
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Ok, sounds good, thanks for the reply! I didn't think it had anything to do with why my cart suddenly decided to just not move but couldn't really find if it acted as a fuse in any way to the F&R. I had recently installed an 8" lift and 24.5" tires and know the electronics were being pushed a good bit because of it. I cleaned up the connections and wiring as much as I could and forward worked but reverse did not. The solenoid terminal on the reverse side was burned so I'm getting one today to see if that corrects the issue and if not I'm guessing it'll be time to move to the F&R switch. I know I'm going to need to switch the entire cart over to a controller system in the near future. It's looking now like it's going to have to be sooner than later!
Old 01-27-2015, 12:36 PM   #4
Sergio
Gone Wild

Club Car

The micro switch in the FNR is not much of a safety device, but it is there primarily to protect the FNR from arcing if you switch from Forward to Reverse while the cart is running.
It disconnects the solenoid so there is no current flowing thru the FNR switch during the change in directions.
Sergio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2015, 12:47 PM   #5
jrem13
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Thanks, Got ya. Sounds like it might be something I need to get as long as the current F&R switch checks out with the new solenoid. If not, it looks like a micro switch comes with a new F&R that I hopefully won't have to purchase right this second. Guess we'll see??
Old 01-27-2015, 01:17 PM   #6
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

There is a sequence of events which must occur before the cart will move. Each of these events involves a small switch being activated. As technicians we were taught this was a safety sequence which prevented accidental movement, personal injury, etc.

NEVER switch direction while moving or apply throttle in one direction while rolling in another direction. You can damage the cart.
Old 01-27-2015, 01:23 PM   #7
jrem13
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Scotty B, thanks. I'm thinking that might have been something I did while trying to get out of the off road predicament I was in at the time which in turn might've screwed me. Guessing that might mean my F&R is probably a no go?
Old 01-27-2015, 01:26 PM   #8
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

We can't know from the information posted so far. Does the solenoid click when the gas pedal is pressed and the cart will not go?
Old 01-27-2015, 01:31 PM   #9
jrem13
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Yes, it clicked for both forward and reverse with no movement. After I cleaned up the connections it would go forward but no reverse. I did notice the solenoid terminal that reverse was connected to was burned and it actually broke off while trying to clean it so I'm grabbing a new one from a friend this afternoon to see if that resolves the issue but if not a new F&R will have to be next. Still trying to maintain hope!
Old 01-27-2015, 01:46 PM   #10
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

I think you have your answer

Tags
club car, limit switch, micro switch
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car