lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-23-2011, 10:36 PM   #1
FontaineDrummer
Not Yet Wild

Question Electric EZ-GO F/R Fried Motor (for sale?)

My fiance had a 2006+ electronic EZGO cart that had a F/R switch go bad (the electronic component next to the batteries under the seat). It was taken into a shop for them to replace it, since it needed the 'suped up version'. After being in the shop for a few weeks, they're now saying that the F/R switch has fried the motor. Now, I'm not the most advanced person in the world here, but something tells me that this may not even be worth trying to fix? I have some mechanical knowledge with gas engines, but the electronic side confuses me.

I hope this isn't in bad taste for my first post in asking this. The body is in great condition, tires are great, has radio with speakers, 4 seater with fold up seat in back...the motor is fried (so says the shop), and the F/R switch is bad (so says the shop). Would it be worth my time and effort to try and fix this thing, or would I be better off just buying a used one?

And with that being said...is anyone in the Dallas area looking to part with an electric cart for....as cheap as possible? It's used mostly in the neighborhood since there is so much crammed into such a small area...using a car is almost pointless.

Thanks....I appreciate your expertise. .....or does anyone want to do a trade with a little extra $ for this thing? (I can get pics if anyone is interested). I just don't know what else to do..
FontaineDrummer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 10:46 PM   #2
Coltf1991
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Re: Electric EZ-GO F/R Fried Motor (for sale?)

If it needs a motor so what. For sure fix it. HAHAHAH carts alone are worth a lot of money not counting the electronics!

I'll take it off your hands! I am in houston. What do you want for it???
Coltf1991 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 04:15 AM   #3
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Welcome to BGW.

If the body, chassis and accessories are in good shape and you have the mechanical skills to do the work yourself, you'll probably spend less money fixing this cart than buying another one.
However, if you are hiring out the labor, you might be better off financially buying a working cart.

Unless I'm mistaken, you simply want the cart to run as it did before rather than turning it into fire-breathing hot-rod that does wheelies, so the parts will be either stock or direct replacements.
If so, all you have to do is put the wires on the replacement part on the same terminals they came off of on the old part.
Take pictures of the old part before removing any wires. Mark the wires with string tags or tape as you take them off. Using the picture as a guide, install the wires on the new part.

Personally, if it were mine, I'd put in a Heavy Duty F/R switch, a Plum Quick motor and a 400 Amp controller. (Check out the Site Sponsor Websites)

Good luck, whatever you decide to do.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 06:26 AM   #4
kgsc
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

Hang in there FD. I agree that if you have some mechanical skills we can help you work through this. I new FNR cam from scottyb would help tremendously. As for the motor, I do not know. Can they put another one in it to confirm that is what it is ? or can you ? If the motor is toast go ahead and upgrade that with one from somebody like Plum Quick. I have 2 and they were money well spent. I have seen controllers fried by a bad FNR but can't say I have ever seen a motor.

Good luck and let us know.
kgsc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 09:29 AM   #5
FontaineDrummer
Not Yet Wild

Thanks guys! I have some mechanical knowledge...but electrical is new to me.

So here's the deal....it appears to be a '98 EZGO, with EZGO factory lift kit. Body and frame are in great condition. Apparently whomever had the cart before-hand, tried to give it more power, and did it all backwards. (here's where I'm going to sound dumb..)

They installed a 500 watt controller, but the motor is 300 watt (?). The motor is burned out and no longer working, and the F/R switch is burned out too (manual switch...not rocker). So all I need to do is replace the motor....or maybe I need to replace the controller as well down to 300 so it doesn't do this again. Guy at the golf cart shop quoted almost $1,000 to fix it. My gut told me that you guys could probably help me more than having to pay $1K... Is there any place or any way that you can see this being done much cheaper? Oh yeah...and of course, they didn't send the wire to the motor as a 4G wire...... I'm sure that didn't help much. Seems like they did it back asswards...

Thoughts?
Old 09-01-2011, 09:35 AM   #6
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

You are getting the correct picture.
You mmust upgrade the entire system or the amperage flow bottlenecks at the restriction which causes heat which melts stuff

In a series cart you have to upgrade a 13 or 14 cable delivery system, controller, solenoid, F&R switch, and possibly the motor depending upon how high amperage controller you choose. Hope this helps
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 09:52 AM   #7
FontaineDrummer
Not Yet Wild

So I'm looking at about that much to redo this system..
Old 09-03-2011, 01:23 PM   #8
FontaineDrummer
Not Yet Wild

Thanks for all of your help! I am in contact with Plum Quick about getting a bandit motor. I'm also looking for a 'beefed up' F/R since this controller is 500amp. I'll let you know what I find out...hoping it won't cost me a grand. The motor itself is already going to save me several hundred bucks. If there weren't kids driving this thing, I'd throw in the big motor! Any leads on a decent price for a beefed up F/R switch? (manual, not rocker)
Old 09-03-2011, 01:31 PM   #9
DOOmsman
Gone Wild

Yamaha

> Scottyb's Carts Unlimited see his link in his post above/\
Is a sponsor here and will help you get rolling again.
Be aware it may crowd 1000 dollars but it sounds as tho
you will have a cruiser when done.
DOOmsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 07:59 AM   #10
FontaineDrummer
Not Yet Wild

Okay, here's what I decided to do with this thing. I got a motor and heavy duty F/R to install on this cart from Plum Quick. I need to put the 4g cables on this thing as well. This is another simple question, but again, I'm not too tuned in with electrics.

Do I need to redo the entire system with 4g? Do I need the cables to jump from battery to battery (36v), then to the motor...or what all needs to have the cables updated? I just want to make sure I'm doing thing thing right...

Thanks for the help guys!

Tags
electric ezgo, ezgo, wanted
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO