lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-11-2018, 02:59 PM   #1
NoleFan4Ever
MOD of all BS!

Club Car

Exclamation TahoeDawgZ71/scottyb - Please read and comment

We again are getting contradictory information from Alltrax (as compared to last year). Please read this post http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/elect...ml#post1520542 and also #4, 5 & 6 in that same thread.
NoleFan4Ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 05:04 PM   #2
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Default Re: TahoeDawgZ71/scottyb - Please read and comment

I may be to blame. Alltrax always did have the diode on their diagrams. Through a chance I learned it was redundant and there was built in protection. In discussion with some technicians I mentioned it was preferable that no diode was installed on the solenoid rather than one was put on reversed and I was told the warranty would remain in tact without the external diode. In a DIY world where 50 % of the installers never looked under the seat of an electric cart before changing the speed controller this was a happy compromise.

At this time Alltrax engineering has asked that everyone install the solenoid coil suppression diode, even though it is redundant, as an extra layer of protection.

I won't be putting one on my carts but I will start sending them out with new controller/solenoid combos.

I'm afraid here we go back to a bunch of backward diode problems - I will suggest that those of you doing your first or second install leave the diode off until you see the cart wheels move forward and back on the jack stands. Then be very sure of the (+) and the (-) side of the solenoid coil BEFORE you put the diode on and test it. If you are guessing you have a 50/50 chance of doing damage to the cart. This is why I was such an advocate of not using the redundant diode. But some people can't leave well enough alone so here we are again.
Attached Images
File Type: png Diode.png (2.7 KB, 0 views)
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 05:34 PM   #3
Sethmac
Getting Wild

As someone doing their first cart, that would have been a great piece of advice, but I'll own the ignorance on my part...I was ready to purchase new parts but seems I got away lucky.

I'm an instructional designer so would be glad to try to write up some step by step instructions to make it easier on folks in the future.

Here is the picture that tripped me up in my instructions when orienting the diodes.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_7596.jpg (180.8 KB, 0 views)
Sethmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 05:46 PM   #4
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

That diode suks with 2 red ends. :lol
Old 07-11-2018, 06:22 PM   #5
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

What is a redundant diode.
Or a redundant anything for that matter?
So, I googled it.

re·dun·dant
rəˈdəndənt/Submit
adjective

not or no longer needed or useful; superfluous.

synonyms: unnecessary, not required, inessential, unessential, needless, unneeded, uncalled for;
More
(of words or data) able to be omitted without loss of meaning or function.

ENGINEERING
(of a component) not strictly necessary to functioning but included in case of failure in another component.
Old 07-11-2018, 06:33 PM   #6
Mooncarter
Gone Insane

Club Car

I bet more stuff has been screwed up from installing (these type) diodes than has ever occurred from leaving them out.
Mooncarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 07:14 PM   #7
NoleFan4Ever
MOD of all BS!

Club Car

And the 2 people I talked to both gave me about the same scenario. They "tried" to incorporate it internally, but it never truly worked as they wanted so they revised the drawings and owners manuals so they were all consistent and more clear on directional polarity. (Don't know if they meant electrically or fundamentally or as Sergio mentioned, do they really know unless they were an Engineer....(?))

I know the manual I just received and the drawing are very clear through nomenclature and depiction that the banded/striped end of the diode must go to the positive side for correct operation. The drawing shows the stripe side of the Regen diode going to the battery side of the solenoid large post and the stripe side of the coil diode going to the small post that the light blue wire goes to, so hopefully with the more detailed drawings and instructions, users are better at getting them correctly installed.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf XCT CLUBCAR IQ WIRE DIA.pdf (135.7 KB, 0 views)
NoleFan4Ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 08:00 PM   #8
Sergio
Gone Wild

Club Car

I think everyone has always agreed that in general a voltage-suppression circuit, diode or otherwise, across any relay or Solenoid coil activated by an electronic device is critical.

I was really just concerned for our members if they had been unintentionally instructed to leave a critical component off their system that could cause them an expensive failure.

I am glad that was not the case.

I definitely agree that "consistence" in just about any process leads to less failures, so diodes are back with Alltrax Controllers.

I like the idea to be more specific about wire colors for diode orientation if the exact (unmodified) cart is known, that is probably easier with Sepex carts with their harnesses.
Sergio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 09:14 PM   #9
WalterM6
Gone Wild

Club Car

So my next question would be... Do we really not need the precharge resistor?
WalterM6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 09:57 PM   #10
Mooncarter
Gone Insane

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by WalterM6 View Post
So my next question would be... Do we really not need the precharge resistor?
Yes it is needed. And after re-reading the title of this thread, I should have stayed out of this discussion among pros. Sorry guys.
Mooncarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car