lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 11-19-2021, 07:51 AM   #1
BrucecurB
Not Yet Wild

Default 1983 Marathon Gas - Clutch Issue

Good morning folks!

It appears my trusty 'steed' is going through a rebellious period! I've had so little trouble in the 20 years I've owned it that I had assumed it was Superman.

Symptom: Cart barely moves and Engine is racing rapidly.

Observation: With the Cart up on Jack Stands and the Seat off, revving the engine does not cause the engine mounted Clutch to 'close up' on the Belt. So... Where do I start, and what's the likely failure?

As always, thanks in advance!

Bruce
BrucecurB is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 11-19-2021, 09:10 AM   #2
cart around
Test before replacing

E-Z-GO

Default Re: 1983 Marathon Gas - Clutch Issue

First make sure that the drive clutch retaining bolt is tight. Your clutch could be slipping on the crankshaft.

There are flyweights inside the clutch that make it close. They may be worn out, or they may just be dirty.

This is a link to a site sponsor for a new clutch. https://www.ecartparts.com/drive-clu...-2-cycle-76-88

Another option is just buying the weights in the picture. I noticed that the sponsor does not sell them.
You would have to open up your clutch to see what it needs. I have never done that, so I can't talk you through it.

EDIT: I forgot to tell you to measure the width of the belt. 1 3/16" is new. Anything less than an inch is junk.
It's possible that your belt is just too narrow for the clutch to grab it. Does it look the the clutch is squeezing at all?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg clutch flyweights.jpg (241.5 KB, 0 views)
cart around is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2021, 09:47 AM   #3
crash12888
Gone Crazy

Remove the belt and see if you can slide the drive clutch in and out.
Not sure which one you have but might need to take the cover off and blow it out, don't grease or lube anything inside, that just attracts dirt and causes faster wear.
If it has a zirk fitting give it one or two shots and slide it in and out.
crash12888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2021, 10:35 AM   #4
BrucecurB
Not Yet Wild

Thanks Cart Around and Crash!

The belt was 'old' and hard, so I swapped on a new one. No change.
The Attaching Bolt is Tight.

I'm a little hesitant to start disassembling the sucker, it looks totally different from what I see for replacements. All metal, more or less flat on the back side with an exposed attaching Bolt. Does that sound normal? If so, is that bolt Right or Left hand thread?

...The Journey continues!

Thanks, Bruce
Old 11-19-2021, 11:57 AM   #5
Dabble Inn
Nincompoop Club Member

E-Z-GO

Can you post a couple pics of the clutch, it may or may not be stock after all these years. I want to make sure what you have before talking parts or replacement, hopefully it's not an aftermarket 94-C Comet style but since you say it's flat on the backside then it sounds like a regular style with flyweights so that's good. They're right hand threads......

Personally I hate the 94-C style with pucks, if that's what you have DON'T DON'T EVER run it without the main bolt tight. I made that mistake once running it just like you did, jacked up seat off revving and watching until it had a come apart. The main retaining bolt worked it's way out allowing the end cap to come off and the pucks flew out of there like bullets narrowly missing my face, had the roof off of the buggy and the garage door open so it was above. A puck flew by me and actually went through my garage door
Dabble Inn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2021, 12:06 AM   #6
BrucecurB
Not Yet Wild

Dabble Inn

Doing a 'Family Time' weekend, will get back with photos in a couple of days!

Thanks, Bruce
Old 11-24-2021, 08:25 AM   #7
BrucecurB
Not Yet Wild

Clutch Photos
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Clutch A.jpg (36.1 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg Clutch B.jpg (38.7 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg Clutch C.jpg (38.1 KB, 0 views)
Old 11-24-2021, 08:27 AM   #8
BrucecurB
Not Yet Wild

Well, here are the photos of the 'beauty'. So, is is a 'tear apart and fix' it or a 'trash it' style?

Thank you for all this help!
Bruce
Old 11-24-2021, 01:18 PM   #9
Dabble Inn
Nincompoop Club Member

E-Z-GO

Looks like stock so it'll have flyweights, definitely not a 94-C so that's good. Yeah open it up, remove the center retaining bolt and the cover by removing the three little cover bolts and maybe we'll see something wrong.

EDIT; since it has balancing holes in the cover mark it before removing so as to get it back on in the same place
Dabble Inn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2021, 08:13 AM   #10
BrucecurB
Not Yet Wild

That's great news... I'm an 'old car/truck' fan, and I can verify that it's always best to reuse original parts or try to find 'New Old Stock' when restoring or repairing. The new 'Aftermarket' pieces are mostly Chinese junk.

Thanks for the help, hope you are having a great Thanksgiving. I'll be back home this weekend and see what I find!

Bruce
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO