lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car
Gas Club Car Gas DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 11-26-2021, 11:11 AM   #1
sundy
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Default 91 engine rebuild vs replacement

I am looking at a 91 Club Car to buy. Serial number AG9102233886. The engine has been running low on oil and has what might be a rod knock. I imagine a rebuild or replacement will be required. Our park has a 10 MPH speed limit so I don't need a 'big block' unless it's cheaper as a replacement. I am buying this to make some money on a resale. I would like some price info for a rebuild or replacement. Just general info I know without tearing into the engine an accurate estimate is not possible.
sundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 11-26-2021, 03:51 PM   #2
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

Default Re: 91 engine rebuild vs replacement

Carts are always worth more and easier to sell with a stock engine.

The target market of people looking to buy an engine swapped cart is small. They’re strong, yes. But loud, can be finicky, etc. for example if they need a belt, ignition coil, etc. they need to know exactly what it is they’re looking for to search it out. They can’t just buy a “club car belt”… Many golf cart repair shops also won’t touch a cart with an engine swap. So your target selling crowd is much much smaller compared to a cart with a stock engine.

Plus it’s going to cost you a fair bit more money to swap it than rebuild your original motor. 91 should be a KF82 which you can still get pretty much everything for it, though you may have to get aftermarket for some stuff. And it’s very, very easy to work on. If you have the FE290 you can still get OEM everything and it’s not expensive either.

Key point though it catching it and rebuilding it before it blows a hole in the case. Once that happens everything changes. But if it runs and does what it’s supposed to now, just knocks, then it’s still salvageable.
CP241 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2021, 09:25 PM   #3
sundy
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

I bought it today for $390. I am going to check the valve lash first thing. One of the guys here in the park put a new head gasket on it and that is when the problems got worse. It has a new muffler on it so I could part it out and make money on the deal. I'm looking forward to working on the engine. I read your whole thread on your rebuild, which helped me decide to buy the cart.
Old 11-30-2021, 06:12 AM   #4
sundy
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

I see now that adjusting the valves is no small matter. I might just post a video of the engine running. Maybe an expert can tell me something.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car