lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 11-24-2021, 03:38 PM   #1
JenniferG
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Default 1988 Marathon Piston Pin

I am doing a top end rebuild of my 1988 Marathon 2PG that was gifted to me a couple of years ago. I have used this forum to learn and resolve any issues I’ve had with it and just so you know, I’ve never done this before and am new to working on engines. That said, I research and read as much as I can and my mechanic friends have told me me that I’m capable of doing a rebuild and offered their assistance should I get stuck but they don’t know these engines, what parts are available, etc. like you guys do so I thought I’d ask you the questions and use their help in executing your answers should I need it. Being new to this, my biggest problem is understanding the lingo so please forgive my ignorance if I use the wrong terminology.

So the engine quit turning over and after a compression test that barely registered any compression at all, I came to the conclusion that I either needed to replace the engine or rebuild it. Obviously, I decided to rebuild so I managed to pull the engine and discovered that the piston had a chunk break off and there was a ring missing from it. Surprisingly, the cylinder was not scarred or worn but I purchased a rebuild kit with a new cylinder just to be safe. I have gotten as far as attempting to remove the old piston so I can put the new one on but I can’t get the pin out. The manual says to slide out the pin after removing the spring clips (pg H11) but it’s not coming out. I’ve read that the crankshaft rod assembly is no longer available and I’ll damage it using force to get it out. So my question is, is there anything besides the spring clips holding it in or any tricks to getting it out easily? I did check to see what kind of play there was with the rod and the is a little side to side but no up and down.

Also, I didn’t remove the gasket before removing the spring clips (lesson learned) and part of it crumbled while I was doing so. I’m afraid some pieces may have fallen down into the case. Will blowing it out with an air compressor be sufficient to remove any pieces that may have gotten down in there or do I need to take it apart to check?

I really appreciate any help you’re willing to give and the patience you must have to deal with such inexperience and the time you give to help so many people restore their old carts. I can’t tell you how many times people have suggested that I buy a new or newer one when they look at my little beat up cart. That is not even a consideration for me since mine was given to me and has sentimental value that cannot be replaced. It is the reason I took on such an overwhelming project and have actually enjoyed doing it so far, even though it’s a bit scary not knowing what I’m doing. Learning new things keeps the mind young or so I keep telling myself when I find myself questioning my sanity in attempting to do this…
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DC6155FF-BFF1-4442-8555-E7A76A829214.jpg (16.8 KB, 0 views)
JenniferG is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 11-24-2021, 05:48 PM   #2
cart around
Test before replacing

E-Z-GO

Default Re: 1988 Marathon Piston Pin

I'm going to assume that you removed both spring clips.

It might just be some carbon holding the pin in. Get a spray on solvent like PB Blaster, or Knocker Loose. They are both penetrants that will dissolve the carbon. WD-40 is not.

Spray it in there to heavily soak everything. Let it work for a while. I would use a brass rod, and hammer to tap it out, but a wooden dowel rod would be just as good. Tapping it won't hurt it.

When you say the gasket fell down in, I assume that you mean the cylinder base gasket. You could turn the engine upside down to shake it out. Maybe a shop vac.

I would be more concerned about the pieces of ring, and piston chunks that are down in there. Maybe a good flush in a Varsol tank would work.

While the engine is out, make sure that you change the crankshaft seals too. You are wasting your time if you don't. That's going to entail removing the flywheel, and drive clutch.

The last thing to remember is that the hole in the side of the piston goes towards the intake side of the cylinder, not the exhaust.
cart around is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2021, 01:43 AM   #3
JenniferG
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Thank you so much for answering! You’re awesome. I had removed the snap rings and I will try what you suggested to get the pin out. And that is the gasket I was referring to.

As for the chunk off the piston and piston ring pieces, that’s something that hadn’t occurred to me and am grateful for that advise as well.

I actually bought crankshaft bearings and seals prior to having any major problems with the engine because of what I’ve read in various posts I came across throughout the years. Wanted to have them on hand just in case. Makes perfect sense to put them in while I have the engine apart so that’s what I’ll do.

As for putting the piston back on, I have read your advice to others on that subject time and time again and have even taken notes on it so I don’t have to try to figure out which post I saw that information in. If I put the piston with the window facing the wrong direction or the bevel side down instead of up, or anything else to screw it up, it won’t be anyone’s fault but my own!

Your help and knowledge are very much appreciated!
Old 11-25-2021, 04:56 AM   #4
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

Please don’t tap or use a hammer!!!

Use a long bolt, a deep well socket that’s big around enough for the wrist pin to fit inside it, and a washer the same size as the wrist pin (or slightly smaller). Put the bolt through the socket, and through the wrist pin. Then use the washer and nut on the other side. As you tighten the bolt, it will work as a press and pull the wrist pin out of the piston without hitting anything.

Most 2 stroke motors use a needle bearing around the crankshaft, and if you beat the wrist pin out, that bearing is as good as toast.

I’ll try and find a YouTube video about what I’m trying to describe if it doesn’t make sense…
CP241 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2021, 05:02 AM   #5
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

Not the best video but you get the idea.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dMhmMgbBuH0
Old 11-25-2021, 09:10 AM   #6
cart around
Test before replacing

E-Z-GO

I really like your idea of pressing it out with a through bolt. I didn't think of that.

I still don't think a little tap to get it started would hurt, but everyone's idea of a little tap is different.

If the bearing did get damaged, they are available here for 25 bucks.

https://www.ecartparts.com/bearing-t...ycle-gas-80-93
cart around is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2021, 12:37 AM   #7
JenniferG
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

It worked! I got it out doing the bolt thing. Didn’t damage anything that I could see and I didn’t lose the spacers either even though I had no idea what they looked like going into it. I do now though. Did a little happy dance when it finally came out. It’s the little accomplishments that give me the confidence to keep going. So thank you both, so very much!!!!
Old 11-27-2021, 01:14 AM   #8
Dabble Inn
Nincompoop Club Member

E-Z-GO

Very good, some piston pins are a press fit so you have to have a puller. Others like these Robbin engines should just slide out or might need a light tapping, but they can be stubborn for whatever reason and require a puller too. I made this puller years ago, simple but effective.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Piston Pin Puller1.jpg (79.4 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg Piston Pin Puller2.jpg (73.6 KB, 0 views)
Dabble Inn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2021, 01:41 AM   #9
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by JenniferG View Post
It worked! I got it out doing the bolt thing. Didn’t damage anything that I could see and I didn’t lose the spacers either even though I had no idea what they looked like going into it. I do now though. Did a little happy dance when it finally came out. It’s the little accomplishments that give me the confidence to keep going. So thank you both, so very much!!!!
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO