lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 01-28-2023, 12:53 AM   #1
ewsisk1s
Not Yet Wild

Default Gas Coming From Crankcase Vent

I have an ezgo workhorse with the 350. Fuel is shooting from the crankcase vent hose into the air intake hose/carburetor. It is not a crazy amount, wondering if this is causing my smoking issues though. What would cause this? Also, I smelled the oil and there is definitely gas in it. I already adjusted the valves previously and set the clearances to 0.004 before I noticed this issue
ewsisk1s is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 01-28-2023, 02:39 AM   #2
Cartmaster
British born Nincompoop

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Gas Coming From Crankcase Vent

Gas and or oil in filter box can be caused by several things. I usually find it is worn inlet valves that are beyond just valve adjustment. Can you take a picture of all four valve adjusters? You may find the inner two adjusted way more than the outer two. If so, you will need to replace the inlet valves. Another common cause is worn rings and gas blow by is raising crankcase compression forcing oil up through the PCV valve to the airbox. Both scenario's can cause smoke from the exhaust. Another possibility is too much oil in the engine on a lifted cart. The dipstick is no longer useful and you should measure the amount of oil when filling, then mark the dipstick for the new correct level. Yet another possibility is the carb is overfuelling due to a worn float valve and the smoke you see is from running way too rich. A compression test and checking colour of spark plugs will help to diagnose.
Cartmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2023, 09:01 AM   #3
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

I second everything CM said

In addition, I’ve seen cheap Chinese carbs do the same thing just because they’re garbage and for no other reason. Worth checking as well if you’ve replaced your carb.
CP241 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2023, 10:32 AM   #4
ewsisk1s
Not Yet Wild

I will get a pick of the valves when I get to the house. The spark plugs are black. See the attachments for pictures of the spark plugs. Oil smells like there is gas in it. There is some smoke, seems to smoke less after driving a little, difficult to tell what color the smoke is since there is not a whole lot. The carburetor has been replaced, not sure if factory replacement or Chinese. I cleaned the carb and that didn’t seem to help. I still have a factory carb from a previous cart with the smaller robins 290 I think. Are those the same? Is so I could try that.
Old 01-28-2023, 10:45 AM   #5
Cartmaster
British born Nincompoop

E-Z-GO

If you paid less than a couple hundred bucks for the carb, that's likely your problem. Either service and refit the original carb if you have it, try the 295 carb or pay out for a new OEM carb.

Good call CP
Old 01-28-2023, 10:55 AM   #6
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

The only difference between the 350 carb and 295 carb is the main jet size. Otherwise they are the same. If you have an OEM carb from the 295 you should be able to swap just the main jet over to it and be okay. Though I’d order a new oem jet as well because I don’t know that I’d trust a carb built in mama woo’s garage by 7 year olds to have a jet matching the oem stuff… but it *should* be close.

Second note, ditch those autolite plugs and get a set of NGK. I only recommend using NGK in these carts, or pretty much anything for that matter.
Old 01-28-2023, 10:56 AM   #7
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cartmaster View Post
If you paid less than a couple hundred bucks for the carb, that's likely your problem. Either service and refit the original carb if you have it, try the 295 carb or pay out for a new OEM carb.

Good call CP
Lucky guess but I can’t say I haven’t fought that same battle myself before…
Old 01-28-2023, 10:57 AM   #8
Cartmaster
British born Nincompoop

E-Z-GO

Go NGK or go home. Learnt that from my dad 50 years ago lol
Old 01-28-2023, 10:59 AM   #9
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

Also just looked at those pics again. What are those plugs gapped at? It looks absolutely HUGE. I usually go for about .028 in everything, just because it’s easy to remember and works well for all brands of carts. but those jokers gotta be at least .050 or more by looking at them.
Old 01-28-2023, 01:25 PM   #10
ewsisk1s
Not Yet Wild

Thanks everyone. The compression test was good, showing around 155 in one cylinder and 165 in the other cylinder. I just received the cart so I al not sure how much the carb cost, was just mentioned to me that it was recently replaced. I have a new set of plugs that I will gap correctly, I didn’t think to check that on the existing ones but will when I get to the house this evening.

Tags
crankcase vent
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO