lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 01-22-2023, 04:12 PM   #1
Iridereallyslow
Not Yet Wild

Default Carryall 48V inoperable, need guidance

I have a 2015ish? Club Car Carryall 500 48V S/N ME1533-575783

Cart has 1280 total hours. Batteries are less than 1 year old.

It started having jerky/delayed acceleration. I replaced MCOR and it was okay for a day, then exhibited the same jerky acceleration. After a week or so of continued homeowner use of the cart, with the same symptoms, a noise that I would describe as "clicking" developed in the rear end that got louder as speed increased. This did not last long before the cart stopped working all together.

-Battery pack is full and holds charge. (51.1V)
-Solenoid clicks and controller receives power from solenoid

After some research I think that the Curtis 1520 controller is fried, so I replaced with Navitas 600 amp, as well as replaced the speed sensor on the motor. When I press the Accel pedal in forward, the solenoid clicks and the cart has the slightest hesitation to move forward. When FNR is switched to reverse, cart appears to operate okay.

Any idea what could be wrong or where I need to look now? Also, do I have two separate problems, an inoperable cart, as well as some other issue that caused the rear end to start making a clicking noise shortly before the cart stopped working?

Thanks in advance!
Iridereallyslow is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 01-23-2023, 06:03 AM   #2
Gazoo
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Re: Carryall 48V inoperable, need guidance

Check all connections at batteries and motor. Check FNR switch/connections. Where did you buy replacement MCOR?
Gazoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2023, 06:11 AM   #3
Cartmaster
British born Nincompoop

E-Z-GO

I guess i would be looking at motor brushes first?
Cartmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2023, 10:52 AM   #4
Fairtax4me
Bonafide Nincompoop

Club Car

You have at least one problem, clicking from the rear end (like a card in bicycle wheel spokes) usually means damage inside the motor. Brushes failed, or it lifted a commutator bar.
No guarantees, but I would be suspicious of what's going on in there.

Figure out the rest after you know if the motor is any good.
Fairtax4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2023, 11:02 AM   #5
sthreatt
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

I agree with Cartmaster and Fairtax. I'd want to look in that motor.
sthreatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2023, 11:29 AM   #6
Iridereallyslow
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gazoo View Post
Check all connections at batteries and motor. Check FNR switch/connections. Where did you buy replacement MCOR?
I re-checkd all connections at batteries, motor, and FNR rocker switch. Everything appears good, and the app for the Navitas controller shows the FNR switch in correct position, either F, N, or R.

The replacement MCOR is an OEM (made in Mexico) unit, purchased from USGolfCars ebay store.
Old 01-23-2023, 12:41 PM   #7
Iridereallyslow
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fairtax4me View Post
You have at least one problem, clicking from the rear end (like a card in bicycle wheel spokes) usually means damage inside the motor. Brushes failed, or it lifted a commutator bar.
No guarantees, but I would be suspicious of what's going on in there.

Figure out the rest after you know if the motor is any good.
Thanks for the encouragement to take the motor off Fairtax, I wish I did sooner (definitely before I started throwing parts at it). Can you please verify this motor is toast? Looks like the card in the bicycle wheel spoke example you gave.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg cart motor1.jpg (196.8 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg cart motor2.jpg (176.5 KB, 0 views)
Old 01-23-2023, 05:15 PM   #8
Fairtax4me
Bonafide Nincompoop

Club Car

Yep, no saving that.
Might be able to get some core credit for a motor from EMP or a similar rebuilder, but I would think that one is just boat anchor material now. When it starts flinging copper around it tends to tear up everything.

For future reference, that type of damage is usually what happens when an armature is stalled. The motor is being fed power, and the cart is trying to move, but it is blocked, either brakes are stuck, the cart is trying to climb something it cant, or someone is holding their foot on the throttle to attempt to hold the cart in position or prevent rolling when on a hill. This can happen when the batteries are excessively low as well, and the operator is trying to get the cart to go "just a little bit more" under it's own power.

It runs current through one set of windings in the armature, and since it is stuck that way it overheats that winding and causes it to deform or totally melt. It burns the coating off of the copper winding and then causes it to short to the armature frame (the steel rotor core) which shorts the motor, and just leads to more damage.
Fairtax4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2023, 05:58 PM   #9
sthreatt
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iridereallyslow View Post
Thanks for the encouragement to take the motor off Fairtax, I wish I did sooner (definitely before I started throwing parts at it). Can you please verify this motor is toast? Looks like the card in the bicycle wheel spoke example you gave.
I've seen a couple of motors that looked this way after towing them in after batteries had died too low to drive home. They were towed too fast with a pick-up truck and that ground speed WAYYYY over-spun the motor beyond it's capability.
sthreatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2023, 02:05 PM   #10
Iridereallyslow
Not Yet Wild

Okay I've replaced motor with Admiral A4, that's connected to Navitas 600amp controller that I uploaded firmware for the Admiral a4 motor, and then a 400amp solenoid, and 2ga cables. All these parts are new as well as the MCOR. When you put cart in Forward, press pedal, solenoid clicks and cart wants to move in reverse it seems but doesn't actually go anywhere. When you put cart in reverse, it functions properly.

Any ideas what could be wrong?
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car