lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car
Gas Club Car Gas DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 01-09-2023, 08:30 PM   #1
BrucecurB
Not Yet Wild

Default 1999 Precedent 'Hard Start' issue

Hello again Folks!

I've got this 'Balky Contraption' wired, plumbed, new battery and belt. Disassembled the 'Driven Clutch', polished all the sliding surfaces and replaced the 'Buttons'. Seems to work nicely on the bench!

Problem! When I activate the starter while in Gear, forward or reverse, the clutch is already tightly engaged and the Starter is attempting to roll the Cart while starting the engine. My personal experience with my ancient Ez-Go is the engine fires off while there is 'slack' in the drive unit, then the RPMs cause the Drive Clutch to engage the Belt and off we roll.
So.... What's the deal with this Club Car?

As always, my sincere thanks for all the wonderful help from you folks!

Bruce
BrucecurB is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 01-09-2023, 08:42 PM   #2
Scooter Bob
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Default Re: 1999 Precedent 'Hard Start' issue

Does the belt have a bit of side clearance in the engine clutch when at rest? Does the belt have a bit of free play up and down in the middle when at rest?

If it's tight on the sides or on the bottom of the engine clutch, then it'll be dragging the cart when turning over with the starter.

You said you put on a new belt, is it the right one?
Scooter Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2023, 01:23 PM   #3
Fairtax4me
Bonafide Nincompoop

Club Car

There was no Precedent in 1999. Kinda need to know what we're working with here to give better info. Do you have a serial # for the cart?
What engine is in it? Should have a sticker/label somewhere on it, but if not pics will help a ton.

Did you do anything to the DRIVE clutch? It's far more common for the drive clutch to be worn and/or stuck than the driven clutch.

What belt is on it? Part number, Brand?
Fairtax4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2023, 08:03 PM   #4
BrucecurB
Not Yet Wild

Hey folks... Sorry to be slow to respond, I've been elbow deep in an Engine Rebuild for my 1978 Dodge truck! Currently feel like the truck ran me down... Hahaha, 'Old Folks' need to stay in the Rocking Chair.

I'll get all the requested info together first thing in the AM and be back with all the Answers. Thank you for helping me...

Bruce
Old 05-07-2023, 11:16 PM   #5
BrucecurB
Not Yet Wild

And suddenly... It's 4 Months later!

Life has been an unending series of curves this year, recreational pursuits had to be back burnered. So... Back to the crazy Club Car with the 'over eager' clutch engagement.

When it's sitting in the 'OFF' mode, there's slack in belt - fairly loose actually. However as soon as the Starter engages, the Belt tightens up and the Cart attempts to roll. Is it possible the Drive Clutch on the Engine is at fault and engaging at too low of an RPM?

In reference to the Belt, this is the Model Number on the I.D. Tag of the Cart.
AG9939-808241

This is the belt installed, 1016203 with Dimensions of 1" Width and 37 2/5" Length.

Any Ideas?

Thanks, Bruce
Old 05-08-2023, 11:08 PM   #6
Ricks_club
Gone Wild

If there is slack in the clutch belt and you can press it down over an inch, then the belt is NOT to tight.

I would guess that the spring in the drive clutch is broken and thus allows the drive clutch to engage the belt at cranking rpm.

Take the drive clutch off and check it out

Richard
Ricks_club is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2023, 07:02 AM   #7
BrucecurB
Not Yet Wild

Thank you SO much Richard!

I was sort of 'leaning' that way, but having virtually 'zero' experience with this sort of machine, I was hoping for a little conferring opinion before starting yet another project!

Part # 2 of this Question: I know the 'Driven Pulley' mounting bolt is 'Right Hand' thread, do you know if the 'Drive Pulley' or Clutch is 'right' or 'left' ?

Thanks again for ALL hints and help!

Bruce
Old 05-09-2023, 04:15 PM   #8
Ricks_club
Gone Wild

do you know if the 'Drive Pulley' or Clutch is 'right' or 'left' ?

Sorry, I don't have an answer for that question.
Ricks_club is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2023, 08:10 AM   #9
Fairtax4me
Bonafide Nincompoop

Club Car

There should be slack in the drive belt when its off. That's how these are.

The spring in the drive clutch may be damaged or weakened. A new clutch is relatively cheap and the ones in the $150 or so range seem to be pretty decent.
Rotation isn;t important, as the only difference between the Clockwise and Counter Clockwise clutches is a tiny shim under the clutch buttons. Most people put them on and run them and have no problems. If you are a stickler for details you can open the new clutch and make sure the shim is on the correct side for rotation, but it really doesn't matter.

Some belt drag is normal when the engine starts spinning. So it's kinda hard to say that's causing any issue here. But since you have refurbed the driven clutch, it won;t hurt to go through the drive clutch as well or replace it.
If the sheaves of the clutch (the cones) appears wavy or groovy or have any scoring, you're generally better off to replace it.
Fairtax4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2023, 09:57 AM   #10
lockman1
What the ....?

Club Car

1997+ to about 2014 Clockwise rotation FE 290's and 350's have reversed thread drive clutch mounting bolt.
"Righty Losey"
lockman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car