lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Yamaha
Electric Yamaha Electric Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 01-03-2023, 11:06 AM   #1
mgray70
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Team axle problems

Working on a 08 YDRE. rear end has a slight growl. Started reading here about the white, yellow labels. This one is a yellow label. Can't pinpoint where is coming from, so I drained the oil, and it does have significant metal shavings, nothing big. I've never tore into one of these, so asking advise on where I should look, or do next. Also can't get the full plug out. Stripped the allen hole.
How hard are these to rebuild, or is it better to get another rear end?

Sent from my SM-S906U using Tapatalk
mgray70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 01-03-2023, 11:43 AM   #2
Volt_Ampere
Gone Wild
Yamaha

Default Re: Team axle problems

If the gears are wearing, you are better off finding a replacement. I have had mine apart to do the brake discs. It's not hard to pull apart to inspect. Metal isn't good. Should be none. If you pull it to inspect, you can fill it before reinstalling without using the fill plug.
Volt_Ampere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2023, 11:49 AM   #3
jasonojordan
Gone Wild

Club Car

Don't know about golf cart world but if that was in the automotive world that would be considered normal amount of shavings depending milage.
jasonojordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2023, 01:34 PM   #4
Volt_Ampere
Gone Wild
Yamaha

I have two carts with these axles and no it's not normal at all to have steel shavings on the drain plug. Mine are 11 and 13 years old and there was no metal anywhere when I changed the fluids. Yamaha calls for a fluid change every 4 years - I bet nobody does this. I have read about a problem with this axle where the gears were soft. Mine are both fine but it sounds like this one isn't.

Not sure how easy it would be to find rebuild parts - I think you can find a replacement assembly though. Yamaha has not used this axle for a few years now.
Old 01-03-2023, 02:25 PM   #5
ojo
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Plowman's sells this Team axle new but, it's a 3.5k investment :shock

The 2016+ models are equipt with a standard Dana axle with drum brakes, $ 857 only!
ojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2023, 02:49 PM   #6
jasonojordan
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volt_Ampere View Post
I have two carts with these axles and no it's not normal at all to have steel shavings on the drain plug. Mine are 11 and 13 years old and there was no metal anywhere when I changed the fluids. Yamaha calls for a fluid change every 4 years - I bet nobody does this. I have read about a problem with this axle where the gears were soft. Mine are both fine but it sounds like this one isn't.

Not sure how easy it would be to find rebuild parts - I think you can find a replacement assembly though. Yamaha has not used this axle for a few years now.
Good to know there is someone with specific experience to chime in on it.
jasonojordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2023, 04:57 PM   #7
Volt_Ampere
Gone Wild
Yamaha

I wonder if the 2016+ Dana axle will go in an older G29???? That would be a good option if a new axle is needed!
Old 01-03-2023, 05:40 PM   #8
mgray70
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
I wonder if the 2016+ Dana axle will go in an older G29???? That would be a good option if a new axle is needed!
Probably would, but the mounts are completely different, so that would require some manufacturing, and probably some brake cables. I watched a video today of one being disassembled. It looked simple enough, just haven't seen these gears anywhere. Just axles, and they are ridiculous!

Old 01-03-2023, 08:34 PM   #9
Volt_Ampere
Gone Wild
Yamaha

There are many gears in there and if you could find them, they will be expensive. Only real service items are the bearings and the brake discs. If it's trashed, I would really look into replacing with a Dana - and I would really like to know if this is a reasonable thing to do. I have two Drives that I intend to keep for a long time.
Old 01-03-2023, 09:50 PM   #10
mgray70
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
There are many gears in there and if you could find them, they will be expensive. Only real service items are the bearings and the brake discs. If it's trashed, I would really look into replacing with a Dana - and I would really like to know if this is a reasonable thing to do. I have two Drives that I intend to keep for a long time.
I'm gonna try go into it tomorrow. Hopefully it will be a bearing. The guy just bought this cart, and it also needs batteries. I have a new Dana rear end that I got cheap a while back. It's for the EZGO marathon. I'll be looking at a way to make it fit.

Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Yamaha