lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Big Block Talk!
Big Block Talk! Everything about swapping a big block engine into your cart!

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 12-27-2022, 11:00 AM   #1
dan2255
Not Yet Wild

Default 2004 club car 420 duromax clutch options/tuning

Good day.
I have completed a duromax 420 swap on my 2004 club car precedent. Since it runs in reverse I have put the 8:1 gear ration in the transaxle and the red spring in the driven clutch. I also run a comet 780 drive clutch with yellow springs. The cart is running good but too slow/ too high RPM at high speeds.
Would changing the driven clutch spring to another color give me more speed or should I get the 6:1 gear ration kit?
I also need to climb steep hills thus the red spring.
dan2255 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 12-27-2022, 12:17 PM   #2
raydhd
VC 460 CLONE GONE WILD

Yamaha

Default Re: 2004 club car 420 duromax clutch options/tuning

I run on a flat island with a heavily modded VC 460. My comet primary has the green springs with the 68 gram weights. This gives a fast shift over for max speed for a given rpm.My secondary has the stock spring with the B1 setting for max speed with minimum revs. I run an 1 1/4" belt with around 1" deflection. Also note I am running 24" tires. All this gives me a top speed of 45.5 mph @ 5600 rpms with me lifting off the throttle. I believe my engine could rev to over 6000 rpms BUT concerns over the cast iron flywheel and slip lock valve spring retainers stop me from trying. My Omega build addresses the concerns but events this season stopped progress on the swap.
raydhd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2022, 10:58 PM   #3
slonomo
Searching for The Way

Yamaha

Default Re: 2004 club car 420 duromax clutch options/tuning

Driven clutch spring has nothing to do with top speed, although when the secondary is tuned right it can increase acceleration and hill climbing ability. Think of the secondary clutch spring as a device that keeps the cvt in the correct position for the demand of the vehicle. In other words, a larger (stronger) spring will delay upshift and keep you in "low gear" for a longer period of time. This is why you can climb hills easier with a larger spring. The flip side of that is also true, a smaller diameter spring (lighter) will allow the clutches to upshift quicker getting you to top speed faster.

Gear ratio simply changes how many rotations of the engine it takes to rotate the axle. Example....8:1 means the engine has to make 8 revolutions for every 1 revolution of the axle......6:1 means it only takes 6 revolutions for every 1 of the axle. So going from 8:1 to 6:1 will give you a higher overall top speed with less engine rpm, at the expense of hill climbing and acceleration ability.

What really matters here is...."Final Drive Ratio", this is the sum of the clutches, belt, transmission, differential gears, and tire size. This is what determines your top speed in relation to engine rpm.

So, IMO, you can't have the highest top speed AND the best hill climbing ability.....cannot have both.....you can only have one be the best.

Of course......horsepower overcomes all the challenges associated with the 6:1 gears
slonomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Big Block Talk!