lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric golf carts > Icon

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 12-11-2022, 04:49 PM   #1
LilThunder
Not Yet Wild

Default Icon i40L w Bad AGM Battery

Icon i40L with 6 - 8v (Constant Power 8V-180DT) agm batteries. Cart is 2 Yrs old and I have one bad battery.

5 batteries read 8.6-8.7v and the 6th battery only reads 6.3v. The 6th fails on load testing.

Can I just replace the one bad Agm battery?
LilThunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 12-11-2022, 05:00 PM   #2
mrmotoguzzi00
Gone Wild
Club Car

Default Re: Icon i40L w Bad AGM Battery

Well...... you can but this is the beginning of your batteries going bad and not being in sync... which will lead to them just going bad faster... but that could be another yr down the road...
mrmotoguzzi00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2022, 05:08 PM   #3
ThreeCW
Gone Wild

Cushman

You might want to replace that bad battery with a "good" used one. With optimistic thinking, you might double the life of your pack to 4 years

What make and model of batteries are you running?
ThreeCW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2022, 08:53 AM   #4
LilThunder
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThreeCW View Post
You might want to replace that bad battery with a "good" used one. With optimistic thinking, you might double the life of your pack to 4 years

What make and model of batteries are you running?
Constant Power 8V-180DT, AGM Deep Cycle GC8
https://www.royalbattery.com/constan...deep-cycle-gc8
LilThunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2022, 12:31 PM   #5
ThreeCW
Gone Wild

Cushman

The "Made in China" notation on the Constant Power deep cycle battery might be an indication of the quality of these batteries.

Lead acid battery life is a function of a number of things:
1) Battery quality
2) Depth of discharge (deeper discharge reduces battery life)
3) Number of cycles (the more cycles reduce battery life)
4) Proactively recharging your battery after each use (improves battery life)
5) Battery maintenance (is essential for good battery life)
Edit 6) Discharge rate (higher discharge rates reduce battery life)

If you buy good quality batteries and look after them well, many BGW members report getting 5 years plus of service from them.

If your cart is used constantly and is discharged deeply, there are only so many cycles in a lead acid battery and even brand name batteries can be used up in a year or two.

If you don't charge your cart after every use and you allow your batteries to sit for longer periods in a discharged state, permanent sulfation of the battery cells can occur which reduce battery performance and life.

Failing to properly maintain batteries (regular watering, cleaning and proper terminal torque) can severe limit battery life.

And then there is the quality component of batteries ... you typically get what you pay for.

Do you know what sort of use and care these 2 year old AGM batteries have received?

If they have been lightly used and well looked after, buying a used AGM for $100 (or less) might give you some more life from this pack.

If the battery pack had been heavily used and /or poorly maintained, the failure of the one battery may be the first failure with more potential failures to come. If that is the case, you might want to consider replacing the entire pack ... especially if this is a cart you want to be dependable for your users.

Edit - AGM's don't require watering, but my other comments are valid for AGM's too.

ThreeCW is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric golf carts > Icon