lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Big Block Talk!
Big Block Talk! Everything about swapping a big block engine into your cart!

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 12-06-2022, 02:53 PM   #1
DieselTech3406
Not Yet Wild

Default 90 marathon, Predator 670, & club car transaxle

Hello everyone, I'm new to this golf cart stuff & could use some help. I've got a 90 marathon gasser, in the process of picking up a new predator 670, then I purchased a 94 club car transaxle. Will there be a chance this is all doable with the parts I've acquired? I've also ordered a true comet 780 clutch & a comet 214010a driven clutch, for the 1-3/16" belt. I would love to hear some thoughts on this. Btw I got a new honda gx390 too if that might be a better option. Thanks everyone & hope to hear some thoughts. Forgot to mention I got a 4" lift kit to install a little mash up of different years & models, but should all bolt in.
DieselTech3406 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 12-06-2022, 03:06 PM   #2
DieselTech3406
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: 90 marathon, Predator 670, & club car transaxle

Also a quick note about me. I'm a certified automotive/diesel technician for 25+years. I've got a welder & plasma cutter & access to a lathe & mill. I've built about every type of ride on toy in my life I guy could think of, except a golf cart. So I'm up for the task, I think?
Old 12-06-2022, 09:20 PM   #3
raydhd
VC 460 CLONE GONE WILD

Yamaha

You might want to look around Vegascarts site at the installation manuals for some ideas for direction in your project. They do both 670 and 390-460 installations in many different carts.
raydhd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2022, 09:40 PM   #4
slonomo
Searching for The Way

Yamaha

With your skills you should be able to make it work. The transaxle will need a mounting fabricated as well as suspension. I vote for a 4 link

There's no comparision between the GX390 vs the Predator 670. The 390 is like 13/15 hp and the 670 is 22 hp, both rated around 3600-4000 rpm. If you put a rev kit and cam in either they will spool up past 5000 and have lots more of top end power, prob in the neighborhood of 18hp and 25hp respectively. I've had a 420 clone engine, a 440, and a built 460 clone and they run good, are compact and fit well into most carts without much modification, but they are a little chattery and have vibration. The 670 has WAAAYYY more power, is super smooth, and is not super loud with the muffler it comes with, but will likely need a dropped mounting and/or a lift kit to get it to fit, but worth the cost and effort IMO. If you have the means and budget, go with the 670, you won't regret it.
slonomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2022, 10:35 PM   #5
DieselTech3406
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by raydhd View Post
You might want to look around Vegascarts site at the installation manuals for some ideas for direction in your project. They do both 670 and 390-460 installations in many different carts.
Thanks I'll check them out, I've been a long time lurker on here trying to pick up a few things here & there.
Old 12-06-2022, 10:47 PM   #6
DieselTech3406
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by slonomo View Post
With your skills you should be able to make it work. The transaxle will need a mounting fabricated as well as suspension. I vote for a 4 link

There's no comparision between the GX390 vs the Predator 670. The 390 is like 13/15 hp and the 670 is 22 hp, both rated around 3600-4000 rpm. If you put a rev kit and cam in either they will spool up past 5000 and have lots more of top end power, prob in the neighborhood of 18hp and 25hp respectively. I've had a 420 clone engine, a 440, and a built 460 clone and they run good, are compact and fit well into most carts without much modification, but they are a little chattery and have vibration. The 670 has WAAAYYY more power, is super smooth, and is not super loud with the muffler it comes with, but will likely need a dropped mounting and/or a lift kit to get it to fit, but worth the cost and effort IMO. If you have the means and budget, go with the 670, you won't regret it.
Monday of next week I'm supposed to take possession of a new predator 670 that's been started 1 time, I supposedly made the winning bid on it. The 94 club car transaxle still has the swing arm bolted to it, so I might try & use it if possible. I had Viper spring technologies build some 15" long rear coil springs for me, I'll have to make spring perches for the club car transaxle, I should be able to get a solid 5" lift from them. The 5"front drop axle i believe is something Steelang or Steelong I'm not sure, on brand name. But it does look like a decent quality axle. I'm almost thinking a Jake's 94-2001 ezgo txt dual a-arm kit would fit with very minimal fabrication on a 90 ezgo marathon.
Old 12-07-2022, 12:09 AM   #7
slonomo
Searching for The Way

Yamaha

If you want the best ride and handling lift kit get the Jakes LT kit. With a welder and skills you can make anything fit really, just takes time and tools etc. They're expensive but well worth the cost if you have the money to spend. The best handling cart I built had a sport ATV front end on it, cut it off of a Yamaha Warrior atv and used the hydraulic brakes etc. Used atv wheels and tires. It was a great handling cart. I've also used the Jakes LT kits on a few carts with excellent results, but nothing like the atv front end.

Oh, 94 club car? Is that the CCW rotation transaxle or the CW rotation? If it's CCW the engines you listed will work fine. If it's CW rotation you'll actually be using reverse for forward, yeah backwards, so gearing is low. I don't know club cars so you'll have to check into that.
slonomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2022, 05:54 AM   #8
DieselTech3406
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by slonomo View Post
If you want the best ride and handling lift kit get the Jakes LT kit. With a welder and skills you can make anything fit really, just takes time and tools etc. They're expensive but well worth the cost if you have the money to spend. The best handling cart I built had a sport ATV front end on it, cut it off of a Yamaha Warrior atv and used the hydraulic brakes etc. Used atv wheels and tires. It was a great handling cart. I've also used the Jakes LT kits on a few carts with excellent results, but nothing like the atv front end.

Oh, 94 club car? Is that the CCW rotation transaxle or the CW rotation? If it's CCW the engines you listed will work fine. If it's CW rotation you'll actually be using reverse for forward, yeah backwards, so gearing is low. I don't know club cars so you'll have to check into that.
Yes from everything I've read the 94 club car transaxle is a CCW rotation transaxle. I'm hoping the club car transaxles are a reliable & somewhat tough transaxle. The Jake's lt kit will be down the road/ or a atv suspension if 1 presents its self at a reasonable price.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Big Block Talk!