lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car
Gas Club Car Gas DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 11-29-2022, 03:48 PM   #1
SLYS FARM
Getting Wild
Club Car

Default 2001 club car no start timing issue

I have been troubleshooting a 2001 gas club car that cranks but won't start. I was stumped when spraying ether into the carb would not ignite when there was an obvious spark. The process of elimination has led me to the last possible option. Somehow the timing must be off. What are the chances that the " keyway", the 1/2 moon keyset that lines up the flywheel shaft could become damaged??? It would make sense if somehow the magnets on the flywheel were out of time with the ignition coil ( ?) the engine won't fire. I was told the motor was rebuilt a year ago. The cart has not been used much since. I'm wondering if a wrong-size keyset, a damaged keyset, or no key set at all could throw off the timing enough to prevent ignition???
SLYS FARM is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 11-29-2022, 03:52 PM   #2
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

Default Re: 2001 club car no start timing issue

Very unlikely.
CP241 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2022, 05:27 PM   #3
meimk
Gone Wild

Club Car

Has it ever run since you've been involved? You covered a fair bit in your other thread, but I never saw an answer to which way the engine is turning. Is the clutch turning clockwise or counter clockwise? It's a simple & common thing for the starter to get accidentally wired to run backwards and it will give you the same symptoms you're describing. Additionally their are 2 versions of that engine in Club Cars. 92 to 96 they were counter clockwise, 97 & newer they were clockwise. If you've never had it running, someone before you might have either wired the starter backwards or even swapped out an earlier engine. The differences are internal.
meimk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2022, 05:36 PM   #4
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by meimk View Post
Has it ever run since you've been involved? You covered a fair bit in your other thread, but I never saw an answer to which way the engine is turning. Is the clutch turning clockwise or counter clockwise? It's a simple & common thing for the starter to get accidentally wired to run backwards and it will give you the same symptoms you're describing. Additionally their are 2 versions of that engine in Club Cars. 92 to 96 they were counter clockwise, 97 & newer they were clockwise. If you've never had it running, someone before you might have either wired the starter backwards or even swapped out an earlier engine. The differences are internal.
I asked a bunch of questions he never answered. He just wants to replace parts I think cause that’s all he’s asked about
Old 11-29-2022, 07:55 PM   #5
SLYS FARM
Getting Wild
Club Car

great info !! Thank you!! this is a 2001 so the starter needs to be wired clockwise ( CW). The first thing I noticed when the cart came to me was the starter was sluggish. It just didnt seem to have much power. As I was checking the wires The wire coming from A2 grounded to the frame was so hot the frame itself became dangerously hot. Thats what led me to think it was wired incorrectly. Once I wired CCW ( A1 to ground) the starter had way more power and appeared to be working as it should.
Obviously, the starter needs to go back to CW but what would cause a ground wire to become so hot it literally fused the bolt to the frame????
Old 11-29-2022, 08:29 PM   #6
Scooter Bob
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

I'll ask again, since you haven't answered yet, HAS IT RUN SINCE YOU'VE HAD IT???

If not, could be the guy that "rebuilt" it put in a camshaft from an engine with opposite rotation, or just didn't time it right. Easy enough to check, with the valve cover off and the spark plug out so you can see piston position.

Even if it did run, and now it doesn't, could have been any number of reasons, and now you changed the starter direction, so now it might be spinning the engine backwards.
Scooter Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2022, 08:35 PM   #7
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLYS FARM View Post
great info !! Thank you!! this is a 2001 so the starter needs to be wired clockwise ( CW). The first thing I noticed when the cart came to me was the starter was sluggish. It just didnt seem to have much power. As I was checking the wires The wire coming from A2 grounded to the frame was so hot the frame itself became dangerously hot. Thats what led me to think it was wired incorrectly. Once I wired CCW ( A1 to ground) the starter had way more power and appeared to be working as it should.
Obviously, the starter needs to go back to CW but what would cause a ground wire to become so hot it literally fused the bolt to the frame????
Of course, this is one of the questions I asked you in your previous posts. Which way does the clutch spin when you step on the pedal

Corrosion is common on the ground strap, Creating a bad connection, which results in heat and weak action. I always sand that spot on the frame and use a fresh bolt. Wire the starter back the correct direction.
Old 11-29-2022, 08:38 PM   #8
Scooter Bob
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLYS FARM View Post
but what would cause a ground wire to become so hot it literally fused the bolt to the frame????
Was the entire wire hot, or just near the frame connection?? A poor connection due to loose or corroded, will cause excessive heat under high current.
Old 11-29-2022, 09:42 PM   #9
SLYS FARM
Getting Wild
Club Car

I tried the starter wired both CW and CCW. It is currently wired CW. I have tried multiple spark plugs and all are putting out strong " blue" spark. Spraying starting fluid into the carb should ignite.?? This doesn't make sense. Even a weak spark making contact with ether should combust. The motor has good compression, starter is turning over strong, got fuel, got spark but no ignition....why????
And yes... this cart was running a few months back after the motor and starter were rebuilt.
Old 11-30-2022, 06:19 PM   #10
Scooter Bob
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

As has been mentioned several times before, PLEASE take off the valve rocker arm cover. And pull the spark plug so you can check piston position and turn the engine easier.

1) verify the cam is moving the valves.

2) verify proper engine rotation by observing the valve movement. Around piston TopDeadCenter of the exhaust stroke you should see the exhaust valve closing and the intake valve opening. If you are turning the engine in the wrong direction, you'll be seeing the intake close and the exhaust open, and this won't run.

3) once engine rotation direction is verified, check approximate timing by verifying the above exhaust valve close and intake opening is happening when the piston is at TDC (or pretty close)

4) once direction is verified, check and set valve lash before you put the cover back on.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car