lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car > Lithium Club Car

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 11-24-2022, 09:08 AM   #1
Beerdude77
Getting Wild
Club Car

Default Eco battery and cold(er) weather

Happy Thanksgiving! I am wondering if those of you with Eco batteries have had any issues running them in cold(er) weather? (Between 40-60*F) I have an Extreme Team right now and I am thinking about making a switch to Eco if I don't have to trick the BMS by using a battery warmer like I do with the Extreme Team. Currently I have to use a battery warmer to raise the BMS to the 80*F range then I can drive around but obviously the temp of the pack begins to fall once I do. I want to be able to use the battery in temps as low as 40* without the worry the battery will cool off below 60* and shut down like the ET does. For background I run a Navitas 5kW AC motor, 600amp controller and HD solenoid, with 2g wiring. Thanks in advance
Beerdude77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 11-24-2022, 09:35 AM   #2
Volt_Ampere
Gone Wild
Yamaha

Default Re: Eco battery and cold(er) weather

That BMS setting is crazy and not necessary. There is no issue with driving with a Lithium battery all the way down to Freezing and even below - other than loss in performance. The only significant issue is charging and there you don't want to ever charge if the battery itself is below 32F. I use my cart in the winter when it's 40 degrees here.
Volt_Ampere is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2022, 09:43 AM   #3
WalterM6
Gone Wild

Club Car

Beerdude, here's something you can try. I have an Alltrax Controller and I disabled the turbo mode. It was putting an excessive current draw on my Lithium Battery causing it to shut down in cold weather. I believe there is an equivalent setting with the Navitas and they call it turbo. Try disabling it and see if that helps.
WalterM6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2022, 01:10 PM   #4
Beerdude77
Getting Wild
Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by WalterM6 View Post
Beerdude, here's something you can try. I have an Alltrax Controller and I disabled the turbo mode. It was putting an excessive current draw on my Lithium Battery causing it to shut down in cold weather. I believe there is an equivalent setting with the Navitas and they call it turbo. Try disabling it and see if that helps.
I took a look in the app and do not see turbo as an option. I do have a setting "Battery Discharge Limit (A)" Would lowering that have the same effect?

Thanks
Old 11-24-2022, 01:44 PM   #5
DaveTM
Gone Wild

I hunt in temps as low as 12 degrees. Now, this is a Leaf pack. The cold weather effects the distance\run time of the pack for sure. Even in that temp my battery pack temp has never fallen below 32 degrees.

I don't know if there are settings on the drop 'n drive lithium batteries that shut down the pack for the reason of "cold".

I would think "standard settings" of VPC would cover any issues with the battery in very low temp's. But then, I have no experience with drop 'n drive setup. I'm only commenting on the "why we can't drive in cold temp" stuff.
DaveTM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2022, 06:36 PM   #6
WalterM6
Gone Wild

Club Car

What actually shuts down the pack is the reduced capacity in cold weather. When it's cold the load voltage decreases and when you apply a heavy load like going up a hill it drops the cell voltage below 2.5 volts (40v Pack voltage)and the BMS trips off. I never had this problem with my Leaf Batteries so maybe it's a LiFePo4 problem.
Old 11-24-2022, 06:43 PM   #7
DaveTM
Gone Wild

Quote:
What actually shuts down the pack is the reduced capacity in cold weather. When it's cold the load voltage decreases and when you apply a heavy load like going up a hill it drops the cell voltage below 2.5 volts (40v Pack voltage)and the BMS trips off. I never had this problem with my Leaf Batteries so maybe it's a LiFePo4 problem.
Sound like a spot on DX.
DaveTM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2022, 07:02 PM   #8
WalterM6
Gone Wild

Club Car

Beerdude, I looked in the Navita settings and the only thing I see that might be similar to Turbo is the Maximum Acceleration setting. If it's set to max it may be causing you a problem in cold weather. Also lowering the max battery current to about 300 could help. One last thing. Keep an eye on the dash voltmeter and see how low it's dropping.
Old 11-24-2022, 09:11 PM   #9
Beerdude77
Getting Wild
Club Car

Perhaps it is the reduced capacity at colder temperatures but would ambient temperatures in the low 50's really have this much effect?
Old 11-24-2022, 09:45 PM   #10
Beerdude77
Getting Wild
Club Car

Quote:
Beerdude, I looked in the Navita settings and the only thing I see that might be similar to Turbo is the Maximum Acceleration setting. If it's set to max it may be causing you a problem in cold weather. Also lowering the max battery current to about 300 could help. One last thing. Keep an eye on the dash voltmeter and see how low it's dropping.
Thanks, I'll take a look when I get back Sat and can connect the app to the controller
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car > Lithium Club Car