lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Lifted Golf Carts
Lifted Golf Carts Off-Road Golf Carts.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 11-15-2022, 10:23 AM   #11
Marathon Matt
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Re: Fully Independent Suspension Build

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyb View Post
Good post slonomo

I need to get back around to restoring my Workhorse build. Motor got filled with water... long story
very nice scottyb. your fab work looks great.
Marathon Matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 11-15-2022, 10:31 AM   #12
Marathon Matt
Gone Wild

Club Car

Heres a pic of the rear shock mock up. i put the shocks on a 15* angle even though i know that will reduce travel, but it will also make them softer essentially (effectively reducing spring rate) but i suspect that the spring rate was probably going to be too stiff if mounted vertical. we'll see how that works out.

I also cut my center mount out for the upper arms, i wanted to move them farther forward and at a bit more angle than I had them mocked up at previously.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20221115 - golf cart rear shock mock up.jpg (343.3 KB, 0 views)
Old 11-15-2022, 11:17 AM   #13
slonomo
Searching for The Way

Yamaha

I used to race hare scrambles and cross country races but on atv's. I was in the over 40 sport 2wd division and 4x4 500 class division. Lots of suspension work. I even have a giant pile of coil overs in the shop from my trial and error processes.

I put a Yamaha Warrior atv front end on my G1 golf cart years ago. It was my first attempt and it took many years to get it right. What I ended up with was the stock atv geometry for the a arms, heim joints on all the ends, misalignment spacers on all the ends for maximum travel and no binding, and I used a dune buggy rack and pinion unit with a ujoint style steering column from an ezgo txt.

The result was a 14 foot turning radius, 6" of real usable travel (3" up, 3" down), a super soft ride, and was nearly indestructible (and I beat on that thing).

Couple things I would recommend:
1.) rack and pinion steering
2.) 4-5 degrees of pitch on the a arms (not flat)
3.) heim joints and misalignment spacers (high quality)
4.) 4 bolt steering column from Ezgo TXT (2001-2004? i believe?) that uses 5/8" spline extension shaft that expands.
5.) buy good used Japanese brand (Hon, Yam, Kaw, Suz) coil overs by Kayaba or Showa, I prefer the Kayaba's (KYB) they hold up the best for stock shocks, come on Yamaha atvs.

I have a build thread on this if you are looking for any ideas. Looks like you know what you're doing though.

https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/showthread.php?t=60848
slonomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2022, 10:22 AM   #14
Marathon Matt
Gone Wild

Club Car

Changing the shock and upper link layout and building based on full compression of the rear suspension. These cheap Polaris 500 knock off shocks have a real pretty white bump stop but they never contact before the stroke bottoms out inside the body. Typical Chinese. Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 11-17-2022, 10:25 AM   #15
Marathon Matt
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Fully Independent Suspension Build

Working out full comprehension location and body clearance. With the adapters for the front wheels to 450R hubs makes subframe I built too wide. Debating on modifying the subframe or going with 450R front wheels and tires. I suspect everything would work better with 450R front tires, ie steering, unsprung weight, etc

Old 11-17-2022, 10:38 AM   #16
Marathon Matt
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Fully Independent Suspension Build

Quote:
Originally Posted by slonomo View Post
Couple things I would recommend:
1.) rack and pinion steering
2.) 4-5 degrees of pitch on the a arms (not flat)
3.) heim joints and misalignment spacers (high quality)
4.) 4 bolt steering column from Ezgo TXT (2001-2004? i believe?) that uses 5/8" spline extension shaft that expands.
5.) buy good used Japanese brand (Hon, Yam, Kaw, Suz) coil overs by Kayaba or Showa, I prefer the Kayaba's (KYB) they hold up the best for stock shocks, come on Yamaha atvs.
1. That’s my plan as well
2. I’m currently at 6* with my a arms
3. I bought a good high quality set of Heims and HMSpacers. So as long as my welding is good, I should be ok
4. The original EZGO steering column is a four bolt with universal joints, so I’m hoping it will hold up.
5. I went cheap with the shocks buying Chinese knock offs. If they don’t work out but the suspension is cycling good with no binding etc I will upgrade them as things progress

Thanks for the reply and information. That’s why I am sharing this build so you guys can help me avoid pitfalls. So I really appreciate the input.

I’ll check out your thread on your build soon.

Old 11-17-2022, 02:45 PM   #17
Marathon Matt
Gone Wild

Club Car

Went back to tilted shocks so I didn’t have to rebuild the upper mounts again. There seems to be enough room for the upper links. Fabricating the upper link brackets now. Hopefully by this evening the rear will be mostly finished.

Old 11-17-2022, 02:50 PM   #18
Marathon Matt
Gone Wild

Club Car

This is what I hope to be ride height. I’m only seeing about 3-4 inches of travel out of these 16” shocks. I thought I could get more but I’m loosing some travel with the shocks tilted.

At ride height I’m getting the 10* in the lower arms that I wanted and the upper links will be at 0* or slightly negative. So that’s all working out the way I had planned for.

Old 11-17-2022, 06:32 PM   #19
Marathon Matt
Gone Wild

Club Car

Getting close.

Old 11-18-2022, 01:54 PM   #20
slonomo
Searching for The Way

Yamaha

Looking good! Makes me want to get my G16 project going!!
slonomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Lifted Golf Carts