lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Big Block Talk!
Big Block Talk! Everything about swapping a big block engine into your cart!

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 11-05-2022, 01:26 AM   #1
BestAsbestos
Not Yet Wild

Default Electric to gas swingarm help?

So I thought I had this figured out but maybe I need to go back to the drawing board? I made up this swingarm for a GX390, two pivots at the rear and a heim join in the front. Problem being theres a lot more play forward/back then I expected. It's bending the frame trying to move forward as I rock the cart side to side. I didn't expect much if any movement in that direction, any ideas how I can compensate for it?

BestAsbestos is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 11-05-2022, 12:20 PM   #2
strantor
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: Electric to gas swingarm help?

Sorry I am not picking up what you're laying down. About how this set up or what the problem is.

Can you show a zoomed out pic? Where are your shocks?
strantor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2022, 04:59 PM   #3
Fairtax4me
Bonafide Nincompoop

Club Car

Does the cart have leaf springs?
Think of it this way, as the rear axle moves up and down it gets further away from the frame, and then comes back. This also means it gets further away from the crossmember in the front, because the axle is not able to move FORWARD as it moves down. But the front of your cradle has to move backwards slightly to move with the axle, because the axle is then further away from the front cross member. It may only be 1/4", but that's more than enough to break stuff that's bolted tight together.

You can eliminate that issue by using a short sway bar link like one of these: https://www.summitracing.com/parts/e...QaAglEEALw_wcB

Make a tab off the front of your cradle that sits about 2-3" above the top of the crossmember, and use the bushing link to attach the two. The bushings allow enough motion to keep from breaking the frame, but will still hold the front of the cradle to cushion it from bouncing around.
Fairtax4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2022, 08:39 PM   #4
slonomo
Searching for The Way

Yamaha

I'm thinking you have your design all wrong. I've never seen a heim joint used as the front pivot point for an engine cradle like that. That heim joint, the way it's mounted, is only allowing maybe 1/4" of articulation, maybe 1/2" at most. Most engine cradles will travel 5-10 inches up and down with no suspension mounted. With suspension mounted you should get maybe 3-5" of travel max on most golf carts.

Most golf carts that have a front pivot point like that use a different style connection that allows much more movement, most of the time with rubber bushings.

At this point, I don't think I can help you with this current design. I think you need to come up with something much different. What you have is nearly a rigid design.
slonomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2022, 09:26 PM   #5
BestAsbestos
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fairtax4me View Post
Does the cart have leaf springs?
Think of it this way, as the rear axle moves up and down it gets further away from the frame, and then comes back. This also means it gets further away from the crossmember in the front, because the axle is not able to move FORWARD as it moves down. But the front of your cradle has to move backwards slightly to move with the axle, because the axle is then further away from the front cross member. It may only be 1/4", but that's more than enough to break stuff that's bolted tight together.

You can eliminate that issue by using a short sway bar link like one of these: https://www.summitracing.com/parts/e...QaAglEEALw_wcB

Make a tab off the front of your cradle that sits about 2-3" above the top of the crossmember, and use the bushing link to attach the two. The bushings allow enough motion to keep from breaking the frame, but will still hold the front of the cradle to cushion it from bouncing around.
Interesting idea. I've got one I wanna try out first because it will cost me nothing but a couple hours of time to make it.

I'm gonna take a section of square tubing and cut two slots into it, turn that heim join 90° and bolt it inside so it can slide back and forth. The only problem I see is how fast will this part wear out? Only time will tell.

Thoughts?

UPDATE: Wait a minute why'd nobody tell me about these things??
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rcagE0CAEkc

https://www.amazon.com/10L0L-Snubber...dp/B093JXW1WW/
BestAsbestos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2022, 09:36 PM   #6
sho305
Vegas modded 420

Yamaha

I would keep the front rigid pivot. The rear make it move front rear but not side to side, or use two front joints. Leaf springs will locate the rear you only need a snubber in front, see older CC carts for this. Or can use a short link that can swing.
sho305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Big Block Talk!