lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Big Block Talk! > Clone Engine Swaps

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-08-2022, 06:37 PM   #1
Randallrebel1126
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Gear Ratio for golf cart

I am asking for a good gear ratio for my 212cc predator Ez Go Shuttle lifted build. I thinking of 20x10x8 tires so I'll be lifting 4-6 inches. It has a torque convertor [12 tooth gear on driven, 15 tooth on axle] now but I might go with centrifugal clutch. I am not looking for excessive speed but need good climbing and decent top end speed. Tell me what ya think.
Randallrebel1126 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 09-13-2022, 11:52 PM   #2
bronsonj
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Gear Ratio for golf cart

The torque converter is way better than the centrifugal clutch. The torque converter actually provides different gear ratios including a slight overdrive. The clutch is a single gear ratio that relies on slippage to vary the speeds when it isn't fully engaged. You will get far better performance with a torq-a-verter.

I put a TAV2 torq-a-verter in an '85 marathon (metal body cart) with a Harbor Freight 212cc engine. I used a 10T sprocket for #41 chain on the torq-a-verter and I am pretty sure I used a 16T or 18T on the input shaft to the rear diff. I also took the governor off of the motor and a couple other minor things, but that cart would launch! That was on stock tires so if you are using larger diameter than stock you may want to go with a bigger gear on the rear diff to compensate.

Top speed on my old cart was 23mph with two guys on it. Getting from 0 to 17-ish mph was quick! Getting from 17 to 23 took an entire block, so it took a bit to get top speed. Anyway, I loved that cart. I built it on the cheap too and after I sold it his daughters used it like an ATV for several more years then moved away. No idea where it's at now.

Here's my build thread for it: https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/showthread.php?t=82683
bronsonj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2022, 12:17 AM   #3
bronsonj
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Also note, most people stuffing aftermarket engines into golf carts go with far larger engines than we're talking here. With 212cc's you can have fun but you need to understand that you can't do wheelies and get 30mph. You can have a cart that launches well and get 23mph but if you want good climbing ability and 25+ mph then you'll need a bigger engine or a gearbox that gives you a bigger range of gearing than the torque converter.

The TAV2 I had went from 2.7:1 (geared low) to 0.9:1 (overdrive). Then I transferred power on the chain from a 10T drive gear to a 16T or 18T driven, gearing it down further. Then into the rear diff which is 11.44:1.

Also please be careful on how you mount the motor. That diff moves up and down and I've seen people mount the motor on the cart and just run the chain to the diff. But when you hit a bump it'll make the chain go slack then tight as that diff goes up and back down. I mounted my motor on a small frame that was bolted to the rear diff so that it moved as one. That way there's no issue of the chain going tight/loose due to bumps like you'll have with some other options.
Old 09-15-2022, 07:01 AM   #4
slonomo
Searching for The Way

Yamaha

If you need climbing power, you really need a larger engine. The Predator 420 would get the job done in a big way vs the 212. There's no replacement for displacement. The 420 would be able to take a taller gear and still have the torque you need to climb hills, but you'd get better acceleration all the way to top speed of 25 mph or so. You can put a rev kit in it to safely rev it to 5000 rpm and get a little more speed.

Torque converter is definitely the way to go btw.
slonomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2022, 10:32 PM   #5
Randallrebel1126
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

I have gone with the 420 cc predator. Series 40 torque converter, first gear from driven pulley 10 T to 26 T on reverse gear box to 12 T to 26 T on differential. Just was guessing on the sprockets.
Old 09-20-2022, 11:09 AM   #6
bronsonj
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

I assume you removed the governor, yes? I think you'll find that the 26T is a bit large. You'll have torque for days but once it's on the ground and moving my guess is that 10T to 26T may put top end around 16mph. If you drop that to a 10T to 16T then you'll see 25mph or so on your 20" OD tires. If you run larger tires you'll get more speed by a few mph.

If you tried a 12T drive to 16T driven combo or a 10T drive to 14T driven you'd be in the low 30's.

As for larger tires, you can go larger diameter than 20" with a 4 inch lift. 20" tires fit under most years of stock 4 passenger EZGO. I'd guess the 20 inch OD tires would fit on a shuttle just as well. If you are putting in a 4" lift then I'd look at putting 22" or 23" OD tires on it.

Also, I didn't think about this earlier, but the shuttle rear differential may be a different gear ratio? But you can see that by counting the number of input shaft rotations per tire rotation since you have the motor off.

-- edit --
Unless that series 40 ends up with a higher overdrive final ratio. I don't know that torque converter so you may get better speed than I was thinking. Slo will know better that stuff
Old 09-22-2022, 12:51 PM   #7
Randallrebel1126
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Thanks everyone. I have pulled the governor out (much to my anxiety of cracking open a brand new motor before it has even been started lol) and removed the oil sensor too. I just used short bolts that fit tight with rubber washers on both sides to plug the holes. I may tap one to put a nipple in for my pulse fuel pump - better that than drill another hole. But I have thought of (to keep from opening the motor up again) plug into the value cover breather hose. Waiting on cables to hook up the VM22(mikuni knock off) carb. Just need to learn to weld now- only done arc welding and suck at it too fiberglassing the body.
Old 09-22-2022, 12:54 PM   #8
Randallrebel1126
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Slonomo, so you think I need and smaller gear on the differential? I have a 10T on the torque converter to 26T on the reverse gear box then 12 T to 26T on the differential. What ratio would that al be? And where do I need to put in a smaller sproket?
Old 09-22-2022, 03:21 PM   #9
bronsonj
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Just remember the gear ratios stack and your rear diff is 11.44:1. So after your Torq-A-Verter gears down then you have your chain/sprocket gear reduction then you have your rear diff.

Let's assume the 40 series does the same as the smaller 30 series. Meaning it goes from 2.7:1 geared down to 0.9:1 overdrive.

So you can calculate it. Take your motor RPM (5000) divided by 0.9 (5555) for the overdrive in the torq-a-verter then divided by your next ratio (10T top 26T is 26 divided by 10 so you divide your prior number by 2.6) which gives us roughly 2,136.75 rpm at the input shaft into the diff. Divide that by 11.44 because the rear diff is 11.44:1. this nets us 186rpm at the tire.

Using the 2 * Pi * R formula we know a true 20" diameter tire will have a 62.8 inch circumference (a 23" OD tire will have a 72.2 inch circumference).

62.8 inches times 186 rotations per minute is 11,680.8 inches per minute or (divide by 12) is 973.4 feet per minute, (times 60) same as 58,404 feet per hour. Finally divide 58,404 feet per hour by the number of feet in a mile (5,280) and you are at 11 miles per hour at 5,000rpm.

I assumed your max engine RPM would be 5k but it may be more, I don't know. But 5,600 or maybe even 5,800rpm is the real max?

But the easiest place to tweak the gear ratio is the sprockets, so I'd play with the math and try different sprocket combinations to see what you need to get the speed you want.
Old 09-22-2022, 11:11 PM   #10
slonomo
Searching for The Way

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randallrebel1126 View Post
Slonomo, so you think I need and smaller gear on the differential? I have a 10T on the torque converter to 26T on the reverse gear box then 12 T to 26T on the differential. What ratio would that al be? And where do I need to put in a smaller sproket?
I don't know about the gear sizes, sometimes you have to do some trial and error to see where you are at. I've used all kinds of online calculators, they will get you close, but I haven't seen any that will be exact, kind of a guide. I say make your best estimate from all the info you can gather and give it a whirl. You can always gear up or down.
slonomo is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
gears ratio, sprockets
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Big Block Talk! > Clone Engine Swaps