lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Big Block Talk! > Clone Engine Swaps

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-20-2022, 08:53 PM   #21
slonomo
Searching for The Way

Yamaha

Default Re: UPDATE to: Need help understanding tapered shaft adapter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denny B View Post
Since that photo was taken I have fabricated a bracket that is bolted to the top mounting hole and the bolted to the cart frame. But I have no adjustment. I like your turn buckle idea. I'll redesign it and incorporate a turn buckle and I will rotate the alternator as you suggest.

The 14.7v is at high RPM.

Thanks.
Now you're cookin!
slonomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-26-2022, 07:29 PM   #22
Denny B
Not Yet Wild
Mixed Breed

Okay…this has got me stymied. I installed a “Mini” alternator in my buggy (35 Amp). When I installed it I really don’t recall my sequence of things but I must have started the engine and then connected a jumper cable (small one) between the alternator output terminal and the positive side of the battery and was reading 14.7 volts at the battery. If you recall, I asked about that in an earlier post.

Fast forward today: I have not run the engine since I originally installed the alternator until today. Today I hard wired the alternator to the battery (alternator output terminal to battery positive terminal) and a really strange thing happened.

When I hit the starter I could tell it was cranking a little slow like there was a drag on the engine (new battery, fully charged) and it took longer than usual to start. When it started it was idling much lower than normal. When I opened the throttle the engine stalled and quit. I tried this a few more times with identical results. I then disconnected the alternator wire from the battery and turned the key and the engine fired right up, ran normal and accelerated just fine when I opened the throttle.

Okay…here comes the crazy part…after starting the engine with the wire disconnected I could re-attach the alternator wire to the battery and everything worked normal. Engine runs and sounds normal and the battery voltage reads 14.7 volts. I turned off the engine, tried to start it again and it cranked slow, idled slow and quit when I opened the throttle. I disconnected the wire from the battery, started the engine, it started right up and ran normal. I went back and forth and few times with this (wire connected & disconnected) with the same results. I could not start it with normal results with the wire connected, but, with the wire disconnected it would start right up, run normal and when I re-attached the wire to the battery I would get charging voltage of 14.7v and totally normal sound and power from the engine.

I have a Predator 212 engine with a V-Power starter kit wired to an ignition key. I have the alternator grounded to the buggy frame and a #10 wire running from the alternator output terminal to the battery positive terminal.

Can any of you guys solve this puzzle for me?

Maybe a relay that cuts out the alternator while starting the engine?

I could always put a switch on the alternator wire and turn it off upon starting the engine and turn it on after start-up….but I’m sure there must be a better way.
Denny B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2022, 07:39 AM   #23
richie
ZZGONE

E-Z-GO

I used this diagram when I put one of these on a garden tractor. Worked great. Something about the charge light that made it cut on.
Also, what seat is that you are using? Need something for a cart I just got and looking for seat options.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg A8BC590A-D38C-4EAA-8F78-69E19E72B177.jpeg (146.7 KB, 0 views)
richie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2022, 10:20 AM   #24
Denny B
Not Yet Wild
Mixed Breed

Quote:
Originally Posted by richie View Post
I used this diagram when I put one of these on a garden tractor. Worked great. Something about the charge light that made it cut on.
Also, what seat is that you are using? Need something for a cart I just got and looking for seat options.
Thanks for the diagram.

This is the seat on my cart: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000N4O2ZM...roduct_details

I ordered it from Amazon. But here is an interesting note...when it arrived the return address was from Northern Tool.

This is from Northern Tool's Website:

https://www.northerntool.com/shop/to...=Item%23+11758
Old 08-29-2022, 08:06 PM   #25
Denny B
Not Yet Wild
Mixed Breed

Quote:
Originally Posted by richie View Post
Is this diagram for a one wire alternator?
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Big Block Talk! > Clone Engine Swaps