lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car > Lithium Club Car

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 12-07-2021, 01:23 PM   #1
mnealuf
Not Yet Wild

Default 3month old Extreme team 100ah,48v bms failure?

I have a issue with what I think maybe a bad BMS with my almost new (3 months ) exterme team 100ah , 48V pack. It was fully charged and I drove cart about 5miles to diner Sunday night . Battery meter said around 52.x volts and operated ok. Today tried to load cart in a pickup truck to weigh it . Cart worked fine out of garage and while parked in yard idle while setting up ramps the BMS tripped. I assume anyhow, no voltage anywhere and case meter was dark. I pushed cart back to garage and plugged charger in and it started to charge and it reset and was about 52.volt . Drove cart into truck which did fine and when tried to back out it popped again. Drove truck to garage and did same reset with charger and unloaded. Left headlights running and after a short while the BMS popped. The Daly app shows very low current draw and voltage should be fine . I verified voltage with DMM and it’s about 52 and change, I left a VM for one exterme team phone number and the other one the VM box was full. I also sent them a email and haven’t heard back from any avenue yet. I have had it do this once before when dash meter read 17% and I thought the dash SOC was incorrect but this is different and fully broken . Anyone have any thoughts? . I am officially tired of pushing this thing after breaking and I don’t trust it at all. I am rather annoyed a $2400 3 month old battery and cart is now untrustworthy and seriously considering going back to lead acid.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 210EDA93-1371-4000-A484-AA756A7D0897.jpg (41.3 KB, 0 views)
File Type: png 360A2B57-990F-4F62-B308-6719693CB965.png (226.0 KB, 0 views)
mnealuf is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 12-07-2021, 03:35 PM   #2
Pat911
Gone Wild
Club Car

Default Re: 3month old Extreme team 100ah,48v bms failure?

It’s very difficult to diagnose this remotely as there are many things that could be wrong. It’s possible but unlikely to be the BMS as it’s resetting ok when you plug the charger back in. It seems to be tripping under a fault condition. Cells look to be extremely well balanced which is a good thing but with LiFePO4, it can be misleading when checking cell voltage in the middle of the discharge curve, you really should check it at 100% or 0% SOC. A pack with 2mV - 5mV of deviation at 50% SOC could have 250mV deviation at 100%. I have seen this personally.

Does the Daly app report a fault when it trips? It’s reported where it says “fault alarm” and only shows when it’s tripped. When you plug the charger back in it clears.

Cheers
Pat.
Pat911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2021, 08:55 PM   #3
mnealuf
Not Yet Wild

In the bms app there is zero faults listed but I can’t see the bms on my phone when it trips because the battery is dark so no Bluetooth. That’s super dumb it resets, sorta of worthless as diagonitic tool unless there is a way to wake it up and Bluetooth transmit without plugged NG1 charger in. I didn’t reset it again and it is currently in broken state in case ET wanted me to do something different.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat911 View Post
It’s very difficult to diagnose this remotely as there are many things that could be wrong. It’s possible but unlikely to be the BMS as it’s resetting ok when you plug the charger back in. It seems to be tripping under a fault condition. Cells look to be extremely well balanced which is a good thing but with LiFePO4, it can be misleading when checking cell voltage in the middle of the discharge curve, you really should check it at 100% or 0% SOC. A pack with 2mV - 5mV of deviation at 50% SOC could have 250mV deviation at 100%. I have seen this personally.

Does the Daly app report a fault when it trips? It’s reported where it says “fault alarm” and only shows when it’s tripped. When you plug the charger back in it clears.

Cheers
Pat.
Old 12-07-2021, 09:19 PM   #4
WalterM6
Gone Wild

Club Car

If the Daly is going into the sleep mode you need to set the sleep timer to 65535 seconds. This will prevent it from going into the sleep mode. The default password is 123456 when it asks for it. Let us know how it acts when you disable sleep mode.

One last thing I need to ask. Do you charger your cart after every use or do you let it get down to a low SOC before you recharge?
WalterM6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2021, 09:43 PM   #5
mnealuf
Not Yet Wild

Currently the bms has no voltage output to the 48 terminals, the 12v Terminix Mal’s and the gauge on the case is dark. I typically charge it because I have been struggling with knowing how much is left in the tank and I pushed cart back once when dash SOC said 17% and app said 24%.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WalterM6 View Post
If the Daly is going into the sleep mode you need to set the sleep timer to 65535 seconds. This will prevent it from going into the sleep mode. The default password is 123456 when it asks for it. Let us know how it acts when you disable sleep mode.

One last thing I need to ask. Do you charger your cart after every use or do you let it get down to a low SOC before you recharge?
Old 12-07-2021, 10:51 PM   #6
WalterM6
Gone Wild

Club Car

You might want to check what your "dischg overcurrent protect" is set at. Normal should be set at 200a. If you have hills it should be up in the 300's.
Cold weather also has an effect on battery voltage.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screenshot_20211207-222905.jpg (45.5 KB, 0 views)
WalterM6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2021, 10:54 PM   #7
Pat911
Gone Wild
Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by mnealuf View Post
In the bms app there is zero faults listed but I can’t see the bms on my phone when it trips because the battery is dark so no Bluetooth.
The BMS, and hence Bluetooth doesn't shut down on a fault condition, even if the output is off. As WalterM6 said, the Bluetooth may be timing out. If I'm not mistaken, the timeout can only be changed in the PC software, not the phone app. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Having said that, the default Bluetooth timeout is 300 seconds (5 minutes) so you should be able to see the fault within this time of it occurring.
Pat911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2021, 12:47 PM   #8
UncleJerm76
Gone Wild

Club Car

ET is a good group and will take care of you. I have delt with them on more than one occasion and yes it is hard to get someone on the phone 1st try. Give them a chance to get back to you I know they have been absolutely overtaken by orders as of late.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
UncleJerm76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2021, 10:07 PM   #9
mnealuf
Not Yet Wild

I heard from ET guys and they suspect something is wrong with the BMS software. Said they could mail me a usb dongle and cable or complete BMS with newest code loaded. It’s strange to me the code would break all of a sudden so requested an entire BMS in case it is the actual CCA inside BMS. Bummer no cart this weekend but fingers crossed the new BMS fixes it.
Old 12-09-2021, 11:20 PM   #10
SouthCo
Gone Wild
Yamaha

Sounds like pretty good customer service. Hope the new BMS with new software fixes the issue.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
SouthCo is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car > Lithium Club Car