lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-22-2021, 02:40 PM   #1
FoundSoul
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

Default 2000 EZGO TXT - 36V - Series Drive - Reverse works, but not forward

I helped my mom buy this cart last year, used, and it's been working great for her since. She uses it to get from her lake cabin down to the shore so she can enjoy the lake, and then back to the house.

It has been working fine, and she let my 16 yr old daughter borrow it, and she used it, parked it, and the next time my mom tried to use it... no forward.

I don't have a diagnostic guide, but poked around with a multimeter. Batteries are about 1 year old, it was converted to triple 12v batteries by the guy I bought it from. That's of course been working fine.

36v+ at the batteries + and -. (not freshly charged at the time, though probably had been charged not too long prior)

If I put it in reverse and hit the gas, I hear a click, and it goes.

If I put it in forward and hit the gas, it does nothing except I hear something 'click'. I presume the solenoid is what's making the click sound.

Using the DMM, if I put the negative on the battery neg post, and the positive on ANY of the four posts on the motor, I get the following results in these positions of the forward/reverse lever:

Reverse: full battery voltage, 36v+
Forward: nothing... dead in the water.

So... doing some research on this forum searching through old threads and such, I've read in a couple of threads that if a 2000 EXGO TXT Series drive cart is moving in one direction, and not the other, that it's ALWAYS the F/R switch.

Trying to be considerate of spending my mom's cash on a repair, and knowing I had some more info that might be helpful, I decided to start this thread to try and get confirmation before I order a new F/R switch.

Is there ANYTHING else it could be with these symptoms? Is there an easy way to test that F/R switch further, or is it worth bothering with?

If the answer is F/R switch, I'll get one ordered and I can install it easy enough. I just wanted to check with the experts here first....Thanks in advance!
FoundSoul is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 07-22-2021, 02:46 PM   #2
camaroluvz28
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Default Re: 2000 EZGO TXT - 36V - Series Drive - Reverse works, but not forward

Take the cover off of the F/R switch...look at the side facing the controller at the contacts. Using a flashlight look closely at each contact on the board and the cable, you will most likely find that one of the cables has melted or a contact on the board itself is burnt/melted sideways or one contact black instead of copper colored...Usually easy to spot and very common on EZ Go's going only one direction...
camaroluvz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2021, 02:59 PM   #3
kernal
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Using words like always and never frequently get me in trouble. A bad F/R switch is likely in a series cart.
The lever when adjusted correctly is difficult to turn. If you or someone loosened the bolt to make it easier this could have caused a failure.

In any case, whether the switch is bad or not a "caddy shifter" will make it easier for your mom to operate it. Cheap and installs in a minute.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg index.jpg (3.1 KB, 0 views)
kernal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2021, 03:00 PM   #4
FoundSoul
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by camaroluvz28 View Post
Take the cover off of the F/R switch...look at the side facing the controller at the contacts. Using a flashlight look closely at each contact on the board and the cable, you will most likely find that one of the cables has melted or a contact on the board itself is burnt/melted sideways or one contact black instead of copper colored...Usually easy to spot and very common on EZ Go's going only one direction...

Thanks, I'll run over and check this out, and maybe take a picture or two.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kernal View Post
Using words like always and never frequently get me in trouble. A bad F/R switch is likely in a series cart.
The lever when adjusted correctly is difficult to turn. If you or someone loosened the bolt to make it easier this could have caused a failure.

In any case, whether the switch is bad or not a "caddy shifter" will make it easier for your mom to operate it. Cheap and installs in a minute.

Thanks, will check that out once I get this sorted.
Old 07-22-2021, 03:39 PM   #5
FoundSoul
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by camaroluvz28 View Post

I don't see anything obviously burnt here, but I'm not sure I was able to get the angle you most needed. Lemme know and I can try again, not easy to jam a phone in there. Here are a few pics:

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/0zm70du7f...PfB62LXHa?dl=0
Old 07-22-2021, 03:55 PM   #6
camaroluvz28
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Yeah not anything really obvious like I’d hoped…here’s a few things you can try that may or may not work but won’t cost you anything but time…that big nut in the center of all those wires holds the tension on all the contacts, try tightening that nut down harder(it’s a 9/16th I believe and try again. Be careful though if cart makes partial contact suddenly the cart may jump or lurch forward. Another thing you can do is while the pedal is pressed lightly, move the Forward\reverse lever by your legs very lightly back and forth in the forward position,just after solenoid clicks (again warning if it makes contact the cart will lurch forward so either be prepared or if possible raise rear wheels off the ground…If either of these things get cart to move or jump you know the F/R is the issue
Old 07-22-2021, 04:06 PM   #7
FoundSoul
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

Will check it out and report back.

I see in another thread that I can swap the B&D cables to swap the direction it works in. Is that accurate? Would that help confirm anything or rule anything out?

I figure if nothing else, it could get my mom's cart usable in forward again so she can get to the lake and back while I figure this out.
Old 07-22-2021, 04:14 PM   #8
camaroluvz28
Gone Wild

Yamaha

I do remember you can switch two of the wires but couldn’t remember which ones…If it was on another thread on this site I would trust the info though…I just didn’t wanna give you bad info and make things worse…that would tell you that if the cables check out and the motor wires/studs are not burnt or melted that your F/R is the culprit
Old 07-22-2021, 04:27 PM   #9
sthreatt
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

"B" and "D" are S1 and S2 from the motor. Swapping their position on the back of the switch does change direction of travel. That's actually what the switch does when functioning properly. Unhook a battery cable before you go monkeying around in there with a wrench.
sthreatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2021, 04:57 PM   #10
FoundSoul
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

Woohoo! We have liftoff!

I disconnected the battery, and went through and loosened and re-tightened every nut in the drive circuits. Also tightened that center 9/16 on the F/R switch. Reconnected the battery, no dice.

Wiggled the shifter lever while hitting the gas, and she lurched to life. Forward and reverse. At first, I was able to get it to recur by shifting into R and then back into F. No power. Wiggle it and it would go again. I tried this a few times trying to find a consistent reproduciple pattern/symtom to determine if it just needed to be adjusted a bit. But after a few times of it acting almost consistently... Now, I can't get it to act up... My guess is the switch is tired or a bit corroded, or maybe just barely in adjustment, and it may act up again. I told my mom to wiggle it if it gets stuck, and to let me know. We'll see how it goes.

Thanks to all who chimed in to help here, I greatly appreciate it! Man, I miss the days when car forums were this useful and had thriving communities. Facebook has darn near killed forums, and it sucks in comparison.

Thanks again all!
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO