lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-12-2020, 11:16 AM   #1
lwildbeard
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Default Battery warming for remote cold-weather cart use

Hi everyone, I live in Wisconsin and have built a 48v Club Car DS using CartsUnlimited c54 kit.

I would like to use it for hunting, but WI deer season being late Nov brings a lot of cold weather questions into play for an electric cart. Temps can be sub zero in the worst years.

I am toying with the idea of running and additional voltage converter to an auxiliary switch, and using the cart’s battery pack to power 6 motorcycle hand grip heating pads mounted to the bottoms of the batteries to keep the batteries warm while the cart is sitting idle out in the woods.

Wondering if anyone has thoughts on this or have tried anything similar? Batts are water/acid, and there are 6, 8 volt batteries.

Link to what I am thinking of using as the heating element:
https://www.denniskirk.com/kimpex/ha...SABEgJOBfD_BwE

Last edited by lwildbeard; 10-12-2020 at 11:53 AM.. Reason: Would like this added to the custom carts section instead of the troubleshooting section.
lwildbeard is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 10-12-2020, 12:24 PM   #2
DaveTM
Gone Wild

Default Re: Battery warming for remote cold-weather cart use

Being in Southwestern Pennsylvania we can have some cold hunting weather.....not like you get....but anything below freezing has a negative effect on batteries.

At one point in time I was toying with the idea of hooking up a small 12V blower type heater for my cart. I didn't do that as I was somewhat concerned about a "glow" heater with the gas that is emitted from flooded lead acid batteries.

With my current Lithium batteries that would not pose a problem....but I've not really reconsidered the heating option.

Likely my only concern about the type of heating your looking at is...will these "stick" to the batteries? It may be that if they don't stick...or even have a small gap between the batteries and that heating unit, actual battery keeping warm may not occur.
DaveTM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2020, 01:00 PM   #3
lwildbeard
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

My plan was to create some 2 layer drop-in floors for the battery trays out of thin sheet metal and have the heating pads placed in between the 2 layers so the batteries would be sitting directly on a radiant heat source. I figured I could throw a blanket under my seat to help preserve the heat while the cart is sitting in the woods as well. Not sure if it’s plausible or what kind of battery drain 6 of these pads would impose either. Just brainstorming and trying to come up with a solution for cold weather electric cart use.
Old 10-12-2020, 02:40 PM   #4
DaveTM
Gone Wild

You may wish to consider installing a separate 12V Marine battery for your heat power source. I have one that connects my Winch's & Lights so I don't put additional power pull from the pack.

Also, do those heating pads have the amps that they pull listed? I looked at the PDF file instructions and it didn't list how many amps those pull.

I realize they are "just" grip warmers......but it's hard to say how much of a drain they will put unless you know the amps.
Old 10-12-2020, 03:37 PM   #5
lwildbeard
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveTM View Post
You may wish to consider installing a separate 12V Marine battery for your heat power source. I have one that connects my Winch's & Lights so I don't put additional power pull from the pack.

Also, do those heating pads have the amps that they pull listed? I looked at the PDF file instructions and it didn't list how many amps those pull.

I realize they are "just" grip warmers......but it's hard to say how much of a drain they will put unless you know the amps.
They say they are 12v and 15w, so if the formula is correct, I believe that would mean 1.25Amps/pad. Still not sure what this would mean for my battery back, especially when you factor in the 48to12v reducer as well. I believe the reducer I have outputs 12v and 10a so 6 pads totaling 7.5amps shouldn’t be an issue there?
Old 10-12-2020, 05:43 PM   #6
DaveTM
Gone Wild

Well....I'm no engineer but if the heaters are rated for a total of 7.5amps, that (I think) would mean the heaters would draw 7.5amps per hour.

So, if your battery pack is rated at 125amps, after 4 hours of running your heaters the battery pack would drop from 125amps, to (4x7.5=30) to 95amps.

I think that's how it would effect your battery pack.
Old 10-13-2020, 12:14 AM   #7
Bobbob
Gone Wild

Club Car

You might want to think about lining your battery compartment with insulation. They make different engine insulation that you can use to line your battery compartment. Using one or two heating pads would be more than enough to keep it warm and not be a great battery drain.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Bobbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2020, 12:35 PM   #8
_ogre
Golf Cart? oops 😉

Club Car

i live in se michigan, just off 8 mile road, same latitude as WI/IL border
i use my cart all winter, it stays outside up by the house, not close to it's charger
while the cart doesn't get a lot of use it takes me to the barn/shop/garage everyday
sometimes power sledding with the kids and grandkids

talk to plowman's carts, he's a sponsor here, located in flint
he also plows snow with an electric cart
i bought my trojan batteries from him
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1211161230_zpsqfcyran4.JPG (84.3 KB, 0 views)
_ogre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2020, 01:19 PM   #9
Mooncarter
Gone Insane

Club Car

However you do this I would do as Dave suggested and use a separate battery.
Mooncarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2020, 10:51 PM   #10
Dlab
Gone Wild

Man, even down here in Louisiana, cold weather slows the cart significantly, and drains the batts. Good luck with your project, let us know how it works out.
Dlab is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery, electric, heater, warmer, water
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car