lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-14-2020, 06:34 PM   #1
Deafpower72
Not Yet Wild

Default 1999 Ezgo Golf Cart only goes Reverse, no Forward

Hello,
This is my first time posting here. I recently purchased 1999 Ezgo Golf Cart DCS I believe its Medalist.

Previous owner warned me about this problem...it can only run reverse (with full power) and as it is switched to Forward, it would not run. He said it is a simple job to get it fixed at lower cost. It would sputter and jerk forward very barely. After doing my homework on internet and found out this could be micro switch issues. So I purchased brand new micro switch for both: F/R MS and R MS.

Now, I replaced both MS. It ran reverse (Full power) and as soon as I switched to Forward, it ran reverse (full power)! (Manual Switch) so I am missing something!

I have been looking in this forum and Internet...I would not find answers unless I missed something there.

Batteries are 3 years old, wires looks good and solid. There's no hint of burning or smell burnt. Please advise.
Thanks!
Deafpower72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-14-2020, 06:56 PM   #2
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Default Re: 1999 Ezgo Golf Cart only goes Reverse, no Forward

The two microswitches on the F/R assembly are Run and Reverse. The Run MS contacts have to close in both Forward and Reverse. The Reverse MS contacts are closed only when Reverse is selected.

The direction the motor spins is determined by which direction the amps flow through the field windings and that is determined by the controller's low power output. The F/R switch simply tells the controller which way to send the amps.

The controller defaults to forward and has to be told to do reverse by placing battery pack voltage on Pin-4 (orange wire).

Sounds like a bad controller.

Also sounds like you might have gotten the microswitch connectors swapped when you replace them. There most likely wasn't anything wrong with the original switches.

BTW: The stock DCS controller is a poor design, so replace it with an Alltrax XCT48400-DCS controller.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DCS Schematic.jpg (128.8 KB, 0 views)
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2020, 07:52 PM   #3
Deafpower72
Not Yet Wild

Thank you for replying....I swapped F1 and F2 on the controller to see if it changes other way. It did changed to Forward but no Reverse. So I changed it back. So I assume that I got a bad controller?

As for swapping MS...old one (Reverse MS) was cut off so it was no good.

Alltrax XCT48400-DCS controller....I say WOW! But I am not sure if this would work with my current motor?

Here some of pictures what wiring looks and controller.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_3333.jpg (213.1 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3331.jpg (227.1 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3330.jpg (229.4 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3328.jpg (209.8 KB, 0 views)
Deafpower72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2020, 10:33 AM   #4
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

The stock DCS motor is a strong one that works well with a XCT-48400-DCS controller and the cart will do up to about 24MPH on stock height (18") tires and a 36V battery pack.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO