lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-23-2020, 09:42 AM   #1
CaptainPete
Getting Wild

Default Western EZGO Charger

My charger started humming really loud about a month ago, still charged no problems. When I plugged it in before it would take a second and then start to build voltage and start charging, now it doesnt build up. The cart is running fine, batteries have water and I am leaning toward the charger. There is power to the charger. Its an 02 TXT 42 volt. Before I buy a new charger is there anything I can check, If I need a charger besides the connector what kind do I want??? Thank you.
PS I live in a golf course community and currently looking for someone with a 42 volt EZGO to try their charger to confirm but only found one that is 48 volt so far.
CaptainPete is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 09-23-2020, 02:18 PM   #2
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

Default Re: Western EZGO Charger

You probably have a Lester brand charger, and it probably needs a new capacitor. The correct value will be printed on the side. You can get a new one locally at a place that sells electric motors. Be sure to get a "motor run capacitor", not a "motor start capacitor". You can do a basic (but not super accurate) test on it with a ohm meter set to 20 million. The value should start at near zero, and climb steadily to whatever your meter indicates as "out of range". Any other behavior is an automatic fail. The problem is this test will only show a "totally shorted" cap, wont tell you if it has just drifted away from it's original value. Capacitor needs to be disconnected during test.

My assessment is based on the assumption that your charger does click on, but the needle never climbs.
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2020, 03:26 PM   #3
CaptainPete
Getting Wild

I think it might be a DPI, can you tell me how I check the transformer? It was humming really loud and was very hot. Thank you very much.

Last edited by CaptainPete; 09-23-2020 at 03:45 PM.. Reason: trying to add photo
Old 09-24-2020, 10:03 AM   #4
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

DPI did make chargers for Western carts.

There are only two active parts to that generation of DPI chargers, Transformer and PCB. (There is an ammeter, case,output cable and power cord, but the charger consists of only the two parts mentioned)

There are two SCRs that rectify the AC from the transformer secondary, one or both may be blown. If so. you might be able to replace them. If not, you'll probably need a new PCB.

Contacting DPI may be a good idea.

Attach-1 is a block diagram for a Gen-III DPI
Attach-2 is a picture of the PCB in a Western DPI charger.
Attach-3 is a picture of the PCB is a 36V Gen-III DPI charger showing the SCRs as well as the PCB.
Attach-4 is showing the paperclip used to attach images to posts.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DPI Charger - Block Diagram.JPG (34.8 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg western charger1.jpg (83.9 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0065 1200x900.jpg (182.6 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg Paperclip circled.jpg (53.9 KB, 0 views)
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2020, 09:32 AM   #5
CaptainPete
Getting Wild

This is the transformer. I only show about 4.6 volts on the output side.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_7464.jpg (108.9 KB, 0 views)
Old 09-30-2020, 09:58 AM   #6
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainPete View Post
This is the transformer. I only show about 4.6 volts on the output side.
Was the 4.6V measured on your voltmeter's AC or DC scale?

If it was the DC scale, remeasure on AC scale.

If it was 4.6VAC, then disconnect the transformer leads to the PCB and measure the open circuit voltage.

Contact DPI in either case.
Old 09-30-2020, 05:24 PM   #7
CaptainPete
Getting Wild

That was DC, AC is 53.8 volts. I assume the ceramic fuses are blown there’s no continuity with my meter. Not sure if the fuse thing is secondary to another part on the PCB. Waiting to hear from the company.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 5DACBC0E-B093-4858-B787-3B608F5A073D.jpeg (124.9 KB, 0 views)
Old 09-30-2020, 05:29 PM   #8
Golf cart guy
Gone Wild

Only thing I have seen go bad on those is the circuit board.
Golf cart guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2020, 07:13 PM   #9
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainPete View Post
That was DC, AC is 53.8 volts. I assume the ceramic fuses are blown there’s no continuity with my meter. Not sure if the fuse thing is secondary to another part on the PCB. Waiting to hear from the company.
Sounds like the fuse(s) did their job. Probably a blown SCR or two. (They are the two TO-220 cases bolted to the lower panel.

IS the 58.3VAC with the two wires from the transformer than plug into the board next to the fuses disconnected?

If so, that sounds a bit low. The same transformer was used in 48V chargers. (IIRC the red dip switch next to the second LED down in the picture switches that charger between 42V and 48V.)

------------
Did you email them? Like many companies, their tech support is probably working from home.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO