lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car
Gas Club Car Gas DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-23-2020, 03:48 AM   #1
cpcodbuggy
Not Yet Wild

Default 99 DS Hard Start

Hello All, my first post. Picked up a 99 DS couple of months ago. All stock. I am concerned that the cart is hard to start. I have put fresh gas/filter in. Taken carb off and cleaned completely, new spark plug, new air filter, confirmed choke is working properly. Only mods are have done mods to allow it to idle while in gear/neutral. It also has a brand new battery. I just feel it should pop over quicker. It cranks and cranks for maybe 10-20 seconds. Once it starts it runs well, but is very cold blooded and needs choke or partial until it gets warmed. I plan on using it to haul firewood this winter and am concerned about it getting harder to start in colder weather. Thanks for any help.
cpcodbuggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 09-23-2020, 07:18 PM   #2
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

Default Re: 99 DS Hard Start

I’d start by adjusting the valves. This can make a huge difference.
CP241 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2020, 04:14 AM   #3
cpcodbuggy
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by CP241 View Post
I’d start by adjusting the valves. This can make a huge difference.
Thanks, I will search out the procedure and specs and report back with results. I will also do a compression and leak down before and after for others info.
Old 09-25-2020, 04:05 AM   #4
cpcodbuggy
Not Yet Wild

So, update. I pulled valve cover and lo and behold, I have non adjustable valves! They are obviously the hydraulic lifter type. So no go there. Than move on to leak down test. Had motor at TDC on compression stroke, but couldn't get the motor to stay locked and when I put air to it, it kept trying to rotate no matter what I did. Than on to a compression test. I have 150 PSI, which I consider pretty good. And I realized that my starting procedure wasn't working. I was putting the gas peddle to the floor. It starts much better if I push the peddle just enough to get the motor turning and a little choke and it fires right off. Tempermental old girl....
Old 09-26-2020, 01:54 PM   #5
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

A couple things...

Someone must have swapped the FE290 for a FE350. I’ve never seen a 290 with HLA’s but most club car 350’s had them.

Secondly, if feathering the gas pedal makes it better then your cable linkage is out of adjustment. Remove the cover to the back electrical box next to the air filter. There’s a cable with a couple 10mm nuts on it. With the key and cart OFF slowly depress the go pedal with your hand. You should hear/see the microswitches click and the carb NOT move. After you press the gas pedal another 1/2” or so further you should start to see the cable at the carb juuuust barely begin to move.

Use those 10mm nuts to adjust the cable going into the black box until it does this like stated above.

If the carb begins to open too soon, it will cause harder starting and can cause jerky low speed operation as well.
CP241 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2020, 03:14 AM   #6
cpcodbuggy
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by CP241 View Post
A couple things...

Someone must have swapped the FE290 for a FE350. I’ve never seen a 290 with HLA’s but most club car 350’s had them.

Secondly, if feathering the gas pedal makes it better then your cable linkage is out of adjustment. Remove the cover to the back electrical box next to the air filter. There’s a cable with a couple 10mm nuts on it. With the key and cart OFF slowly depress the go pedal with your hand. You should hear/see the microswitches click and the carb NOT move. After you press the gas pedal another 1/2” or so further you should start to see the cable at the carb juuuust barely begin to move.

Use those 10mm nuts to adjust the cable going into the black box until it does this like stated above.

If the carb begins to open too soon, it will cause harder starting and can cause jerky low speed operation as well.
CP, that is the info I was looking for in adjusting the throttle cable! Thank you. I will take a pic of the engine and post it up here. I was very surprised to not see any adjustable valves as well.
Old 03-26-2021, 12:09 AM   #7
Ricksters
Not Yet Wild

I had same on my 93 DS and did the rookie move to r/r carb, filters, pump, plug, then blow out fuel pick up line and add air in the tires for safe and completely irrelevant measures.
Now she starts okay but have to pump the pedal and no idle. She seems to run hot.
If I choke it she dies so air is not the issue. I've adjusted the mixture screw and it doesn't seem to help. Also adjusted the idle set screw, also no real help. Won't idle.
I can run it but it wants to die.
Ricksters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2021, 08:35 PM   #8
99hawk409
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

My 2001 DS was hard starting for quite a while. It finally died on me the other day and i swapped out the coil. It now starts quicker than it ever has. I guess i had weak spark.
99hawk409 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car