lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-01-2012, 09:02 PM   #1
tyhuck
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Resistor cart + deep water

OK, I had no choice this weekend, I had to ford some deep water. Fortunately, the water did not come over the floor of the cart, so I assume that it didnt get anything important wet. But, what happens if I happen to get it into some deeper water? Obviously I am going to try to avoid drowning my cart. But, if I absolutely have no other options than to go through some deep water, what is the deepest that I can safely take it through and what needs to be done to care for the cart after the water crossing?
tyhuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 10-02-2012, 12:36 AM   #2
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Resistor cart + deep water

I don't know the answer to your question but I can suggest one precaution. If you absolutely have no other options, & you can not avoid driving through very deep water wear sturdy comfortable shoes.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 05:40 AM   #3
yurtle
Gone Mad
E-Z-GO

Assuming you can keep all the electronics dry, I'd be worried about the wheel bearings, differential, steering housing, etc. Keep everything with a Zerk fitting well lubed. Since you have a resistor cart, I assume that means a throttle wiper board. Don't want to get that wet. Also, I'd try and avoid getting the hot resistors wet. I don't know what material they're made of, but they're probably old and rusty, so the thermal shock may be enough to do them in.
yurtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 05:42 AM   #4
yurtle
Gone Mad
E-Z-GO

Having said all that, I drove mine in water slightly above the floorboard several times, and ended up with replacing the wheel bearings, due to a grinding sound that developed. Surprisingly, the ITS and its micro stayed dry.
yurtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 07:41 AM   #5
tyhuck
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by yurtle View Post
Assuming you can keep all the electronics dry, I'd be worried about the wheel bearings, differential, steering housing, etc. Keep everything with a Zerk fitting well lubed. Since you have a resistor cart, I assume that means a throttle wiper board. Don't want to get that wet. Also, I'd try and avoid getting the hot resistors wet. I don't know what material they're made of, but they're probably old and rusty, so the thermal shock may be enough to do them in.
My resistor assembly is a new upgraded unit, but I can see your point regardless. Ive plenty of experience with hot metal warping because it was quenched, and I can see bad things happening if the coils warped enough to cause contact with one another. Hopefully we dont get any more rain like we got last weekend (around 8" in 2 days) so I wont have to worry about it too much. I mainly wanted to see if there was any kind of maintenance that I needed to perform afterward.
tyhuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 07:58 AM   #6
Gonkulor
Astronautilator

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyb View Post
I don't know the answer to your question but I can suggest one precaution. If you absolutely have no other options, & you can not avoid driving through very deep water wear sturdy comfortable shoes.

Your thoughts are spot on about the heat of the coil and it warping, or worse yet shattering from thermal shock.

Maintenance after an instance of your hair standing on end and wondering if you will be calling AAA will probably be a good rinse and visual inspection. If your cart is going to quit once you are in the puddle or afterwards, well, you will know it. As yurtle suggested, those greased and lubricated parts are a worry. You can put a lot of unnecessary wear on those parts if you don't shoot some grease into the zerks and also check the packing of the wheel bearing grease.
Gonkulor is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO