lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric golf carts
Electric golf carts Harley Davidson, Melex, Pargo, Taylor-Dunn and other Misc. Carts.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-15-2011, 01:52 PM   #1
DustinTM
Not Yet Wild
Taylor-Dunn

Default Troubleshooting catastrophic failure, cart doesn't move.

I have a Hyundai cart that has been having troubles lately and recently blew up. When letting off the accelerator pedal occasionally the cart wont stop completely, it wants to keep going (very slowly) so you have to tap the accelerator pedal again to get it to kick off. After a round I pulled it into the cart shed and plugged it into the charger. The next next day when I got to the course the charger was charging (which is not the norm). I got into the cart and it wouldn't move. The reverse buzzer goes off, but nothing else. I am assuming that the cart was sitting there trying to run (barely) all night while being plugged into the charger. I lifted the seat and everything was warm. The batteries, coils, motor, etc. I can't believe I didn't burn the place down. I can't find a fuse, or a reset switch on the motor. I am not sure if it has the original motor because it has a 3.5 hp 36v, 5.5 at 48v motor that has a Santiago cart supply sticker on it but no other identifying marks. I can't see anything burnt anywhere. My first stop is to check the solenoid, but I really have no idea where else to begin. I live in a small town with no golf cart repair shops near. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Dustin
DustinTM is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 09-15-2011, 09:58 PM   #2
Jeff Rose
Not Yet Wild
Mixed Breed

Default Re: Troubleshooting catastrophic failure, cart doesn't move.

Well I am certainly by no means an expert but I would start with the simple stuff first. Even if the pedal was stuck down, there should not have been any current draw I wouldn't think with it being shut down. First, was the key off? I hate to ask that but lets face it, we've all done it, right? If the key was off the solenoid should have cut the power off at the positive end so regardless of weather the pedal was stuck 'down' or not there would be no power going thru anything. Secondly, put the f/r lever in the middle so that it is in neutral. If it is in neutral then the pedal sticking would also have no effect.
If you think everything is off you could pull a battery cable and then touch it to the post and see if there is a spark. If so then the solenoid is allowing power thru and that would give you a place to start. Make sure you try the spark test with ventilation.
I have a Hyundai too so I wish you luck.
Jeff
Jeff Rose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2011, 10:28 PM   #3
DustinTM
Not Yet Wild
Taylor-Dunn

Actually, I retested the batteries and they were really low, 2.8v-5.6v between the six of them. They were getting old too. I put it on blocks, plugged the charger in, pressed the accelerator and the wheels spun. I don't know "exactly" what happened, but I think the batteries got fried when; the key was in the on position, the accelerator pedal was not completely disengaged, the e-brake was on, and the charger was plugged in. It sat there charging for 20 hours with the batteries boiling away. My guess is that the cart, running even barely, uses more battery power than the charger can charge. At any rate, I can say that this golf cart is a tough sob. It became a heater for 20 hours and can still be a golf cart too.
Old 09-16-2011, 04:48 PM   #4
Jeff Rose
Not Yet Wild
Mixed Breed

OK, good luck. Let us know how it turns out.
Jeff
Jeff Rose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 01:22 PM   #5
DustinTM
Not Yet Wild
Taylor-Dunn

Everything works. Thanks for the help!

Tags
electric cart, help needed, hyundai, problem, troubleshooting
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric golf carts