lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-10-2017, 01:43 PM   #1
jbsmith05
Gone Wild

Default Upgraded Controller - Reduced Runtime

Anyone have any knowledge of how much less runtime you get once you upgrade the controller?

Going from stock electronics all else remaining the same to a 400A controller (alltrax) and 2g cables...how much less time do you get on a 4x12 - 48v cart.

In my initial few drives after upgrade I've noticed that my voltage after returning home is a couple volts lower than beforehand. Now granted I may be driving differently since I'm testing and playing with settings, but I have to imagine that even if not it'll be a sizable difference??
jbsmith05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-10-2017, 01:49 PM   #2
NoleFan4Ever
MOD of all BS!

Club Car

Default Re: Upgraded Controller - Reduced Runtime

There really shouldn't be much unless you are driving it differently (harder) which would require more energy. That controller has the capability to push harder then your stock controller so that would more effect its draw on the pack then just changing it.

Give it a few days after you are done setting/tweaking and then try to drive it exactly as you did before and see how it does then.

One thing about upgrades, they will identify weak links much faster due to the increased demand, so if your batteries have some age on them, this can make it show up more than before.
NoleFan4Ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017, 01:52 PM   #3
jbsmith05
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoleFan4Ever View Post

One thing about upgrades, they will identify weak links much faster due to the increased demand, so if your batteries have some age on them, this can make it show up more than before.
Understood - they have at least a couple years on them, not sure exactly since I bought it used, but based on all tests I found out how to do here on the forums they are in good shape - still taking and holding full charge.

Seems like I also read somewhere on here that going to the 6x8 config would give you more capacity - do I have that right in the memory bank.
Old 08-10-2017, 02:04 PM   #4
NoleFan4Ever
MOD of all BS!

Club Car

I have 4x12's and am more than happy with mine and they are over 7 years old and with great care I still maintain high 50.x volts 12 hours after charging and they go all the distance I do with no issue so we keep them going. I will never change over to 6x8's as there is no value in it for me, but I probably will go Lithium when these give up the ghost.
Old 08-10-2017, 02:07 PM   #5
jbsmith05
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoleFan4Ever View Post
I have 4x12's and am more than happy with mine and they are over 7 years old and with great care I still maintain high 50.x volts 12 hours after charging and they go all the distance I do with no issue so we keep them going. I will never change over to 6x8's as there is no value in it for me, but I probably will go Lithium when these give up the ghost.
If I can go lithium when mine die for about the same price as a new set of deep cycle then I will too (been using lithium in large scale R/C for years)...but from what I read, it's a little to rich $$ for me right now).

Now lithium and a brushless motor ...well maybe.
Old 08-10-2017, 02:50 PM   #6
NoleFan4Ever
MOD of all BS!

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbsmith05;1419004/
Now lithium and a brushless motor ...well maybe.
From what I am seeing the costs are easing down and if you consider a new pack and selling your old charger for at least $100, you seem to be within ~$200 to $300 or so. Then you take into the 350 pound weight offset, duration of life cycles on lithium, I think the cost comparison and a good net present value puts you way to the good side. (At least that is the justification I am convincing myself of....)

(Pack only I am referring too)
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car