lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 01-10-2016, 10:46 PM   #1
ticklechicken
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Default Surging and reduced speed

2001 Club Car series cart - AA0130
6" lift with 23" tires
Brand new Trojan batteries

My cart has started to have reduced speed and power and also occasionally surges during constant throttle. It seems like the cart is somehow getting random throttle inputs. Most of the time, it runs fine, But when it's acting up, full throttle will only give 6mph. If I cruise for 30 seconds like that, I'll get a 3 second surge up to full speed and an immediate return to 6mph. Sometimes it just stops altogether. I can still hear the solenoid clicking though. Wait anywhere from a minute to an hour, and then it starts working again. Sometimes it comes back to full operation, and sometimes it comes back but with the surging. And if it does come back to full operation, it may start acting up again with a few minutes.

This has been happening for about a month. It mostly seems to start about an hour after we get near some water. It usually stops after 2-3 days which hints to me that it's something that has to dry out. Not sure, just a guess. After the 2-3 days, it sometimes runs for days without incident. We use the cart every day. It really seems to only come back after we encounter some puddles.

I replaced the MCOR, but that didn't fix anything. What next? This is my first cart, and I've only had it a few months.
ticklechicken is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 01-11-2016, 02:45 AM   #2
mrgolf
Old Sky Soldier

Club Car

Default Re: Surging and reduced speed

Try jumping the two pin connector at the mcor when it does it. If that fixes it you got a bad mcor.
mrgolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2016, 06:04 AM   #3
teecro
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by ticklechicken View Post
.... I replaced the MCOR, but that didn't fix anything. What next? This is my first cart, and I've only had it a few months.
Do you know if you replaced the MCOR with a newer version? If you replaced with same as in a 2 or 3 you could still have a bad MCOR. I replaced a 2 with a 3 not knowing any better and had no real improvement. Got a 4 from Hicks and all is right in the world again. You would know the newer versions as they look different and require the use of adapter cord.
teecro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2016, 06:58 AM   #4
Sergio
Gone Wild

Club Car

If You still have a gradual "speed range" from pedal up to pedal down when the cart is giving a max of 6mph, then the issue may be the micro-switch and resistor that control the max speed for reverse.

Look at micro-switch #3 in the FNR lever.

You can disconnect the Green and White wires from the #3 switch and connect them together.

That will assure the voltage to the MCOR is not being reduced which would cause a slower top speed, just keep in mind You will also have full speed in reverse with those 2 wires connected together.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2001-2002_DS_Series_with_MCOR.jpg (704.0 KB, 0 views)
Sergio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2016, 11:18 AM   #5
ticklechicken
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Thanks to everyone for the replies.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrgolf View Post
Try jumping the two pin connector at the mcor when it does it. If that fixes it you got a bad mcor.
I already replaced the MCOR, so it's unlikely this is the issue. Seems like an easy test, so I'll do it anyway.

I understand that I must disconnect the 2-pin connector, but I'm not sure which pins to short. Do I short the pins on the cable, or do I short the pins on the MCOR?

Quote:
Originally Posted by teecro View Post
Do you know if you replaced the MCOR with a newer version? If you replaced with same as in a 2 or 3 you could still have a bad MCOR. I replaced a 2 with a 3 not knowing any better and had no real improvement. Got a 4 from Hicks and all is right in the world again. You would know the newer versions as they look different and require the use of adapter cord.
It's the original MCOR 1. I replaced it with the same version. I saw the upgrade kits to change to an MCOR 4. Is there a performance difference between the four different types?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sergio View Post
If You still have a gradual "speed range" from pedal up to pedal down when the cart is giving a max of 6mph, then the issue may be the micro-switch and resistor that control the max speed for reverse.

Look at micro-switch #3 in the FNR lever.

You can disconnect the Green and White wires from the #3 switch and connect them together.

That will assure the voltage to the MCOR is not being reduced which would cause a slower top speed, just keep in mind You will also have full speed in reverse with those 2 wires connected together.
I'll check this when I get home tonight. Thanks.
ticklechicken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2016, 02:03 PM   #6
mrgolf
Old Sky Soldier

Club Car

The cable gets jumper. There is a micro switch inside the mcor. This takes it out of the system. If everything works, the micro switch in the mcor is bad. Cost nothing to test.
mrgolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car