lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-15-2018, 08:19 PM   #1
Ribber
Getting Wild
Club Car

Default DS No Go

Haven't driven cart much lately, but got on last weekend and had a shudder when I pressed pedal. No other issues after that, but I've read here that shudder usually means bad batteries. Didn't investigate.

Daughter comes in tonight and says it won't go.
I checked pack and each battery (51 and 8.5-8.6)
Solenoid is 'clicking' and I didn't see anything glaring obvious wrong. Cart won't go at all, no movement. Was late so I didn't dig deeper.

Any direction to narrow down before I start troubleshooting?

Crown batteries are 2 years old and I bought a DPI charger earlier this year.
Ribber is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-15-2018, 08:30 PM   #2
mrgolf
Old Sky Soldier

Club Car

Default Re: DS No Go

Sounds like bad connection. If it is a series drive could be contacts in FNR switch.
mrgolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2018, 05:38 AM   #3
NoleFan4Ever
MOD of all BS!

Club Car

And/or motor brushes or or possibly a controller or a resistor in the V-glide if yours has one.....

Time to troubles shoot.

Take the yellow wire off pin 3 on your controller and with the cart jacked up, in forward, and key on, check the voltage from pedal up to pedal down and it should go from 0vdc to 5vdc gradually changing. This will tell you if/what your v-glide/potentiometer is putting out.

If good, then you can measure what the controller is putting out to the motor between the M- on the controller and the B-. The voltage should be about 48vdc (or pack voltage) when the pedal is pushed just enough to engage the solenoid and then decreasing to 0vdc when the pedal is pushed all the way to the floor. If it is erratic or drops a few volts then will not go any further OR jumps back to 48vdc, you have a blown resistor in the back side of the potentiometer.

Further then that, you have a motor issue.....
NoleFan4Ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2018, 07:45 PM   #4
Ribber
Getting Wild
Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoleFan4Ever View Post
And/or motor brushes or or possibly a controller or a resistor in the V-glide if yours has one.....

Time to troubles shoot.

Take the yellow wire off pin 3 on your controller and with the cart jacked up, in forward, and key on, check the voltage from pedal up to pedal down and it should go from 0vdc to 5vdc gradually changing. This will tell you if/what your v-glide/potentiometer is putting out.

If good, then you can measure what the controller is putting out to the motor between the M- on the controller and the B-. The voltage should be about 48vdc (or pack voltage) when the pedal is pushed just enough to engage the solenoid and then decreasing to 0vdc when the pedal is pushed all the way to the floor. If it is erratic or drops a few volts then will not go any further OR jumps back to 48vdc, you have a blown resistor in the back side of the potentiometer.

Further then that, you have a motor issue.....
Ok working nights this weekend so might be a few days before I can check.
I didn't really consider the motor. Are there any typical signs of motor failure? My cart won't move at all and its the stock motor (2002).
Old 08-16-2018, 08:21 PM   #5
NoleFan4Ever
MOD of all BS!

Club Car

Usually brushes go, but a motor that is old or ridden hard can surely fail internally.

If all above tests good, you can test the motor like this:

Place the Run/Tow switch in "Tow", (If you have one) then disconnect the pack and then all the cables from the motor. (Be sure to double wrench every motor post/stud when breaking them lose or you may break them off. Spray them down with penetrating oil prior to doing it). If you have a Series motor some will have S1/S2 in place of F1/F2.

Get out your DVM and set it to the Continuity setting and:
- Test between A1 and A2 (Beep)
- Test between F1 and F2 (Beep)
- Test between A1 and F1 (No Beep)
- Test between A1 to Motor Case (No Beep)
- Test between F1 to Motor Case (No Beep)

Now flip your meter to Ohms/Resistance and:
- Test between F1 and F2 and you should get 0.8 to 1.2 Ohms (Sepex only)

If all those are correct as stated above then you can test the motor:

To test run a Series motor:
With all cables removed from the motor, jack the cart up at the rear and connect a jumper from A1 to S1. Then connect 12 volts positive to A2 and 12 volts negative to S2. (swap S1 and S2 to change rotation direction) You may want to have a disconnect switch in-line with the power supply as some do and some do not....

To test run a Sepex (regen) motor:
With all cables removed from the motor, jack the cart up at the rear and connect a jumper from A1 to F1 and then a jumper from A2 to F2. Connect 12 volts positive to A1/F1 and 12 volts negative to A2/F2. (swap polarities to change motor rotation) You may want to have a disconnect switch in-line with the power supply as some do and some do not....

And remember that you are only "testing" the motor so you don't want or need to engage it very long.
Old 08-16-2018, 11:26 PM   #6
Mooncarter
Gone Insane

Club Car

All great advice above.

I recently had a similar problem and it was simply a loose battery cable in the pack. Check/clean those.
Mooncarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2018, 08:03 PM   #7
Ribber
Getting Wild
Club Car

Tested all above.
When slowly depressing pedal, it gradually changes but ends up at 8.2vdc, not 5vdc.
Tested motor with a jumper and clamped cables from a 12v battery and got nothing?
Removed every single connection and cleaned.
Solenoid clicks when FnR in gear, but not in neutral so I'd think FnR is working.
Pack voltage at B- and M- on controller.
Pack voltage at S1, S2, and A1 but nothing at A2 (with pedal depressed).

I'm probably forgetting something, but my novice experience tells me I'm getting power to the motor.
Old 08-20-2018, 11:42 AM   #8
NoleFan4Ever
MOD of all BS!

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ribber View Post
Tested all above.
When slowly depressing pedal, it gradually changes but ends up at 8.2vdc, not 5vdc.Ok
Tested motor with a jumper and clamped cables from a 12v battery and got nothing?Here is your problem.....
Removed every single connection and cleaned.
Solenoid clicks when FnR in gear, but not in neutral so I'd think FnR is working.It is
Pack voltage at B- and M- on controller. But did it drop as you depressed the pedal? See what my directions said it should do....

I'm probably forgetting something, but my novice experience tells me I'm getting power to the motor.
If the motor would not turn when you manually applied voltage (as stated in the directions) then you have a motor issue.
Old 08-20-2018, 03:45 PM   #9
Ribber
Getting Wild
Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoleFan4Ever View Post
If the motor would not turn when you manually applied voltage (as stated in the directions) then you have a motor issue.
I did not play around with the pedal when checking M and B, but can check later.

Do you feel pretty certain the motor has issues?
I followed instructions to a Tee. Used a charged Deep Cycle battery and heavy duty jumper cables for the power. For the jumper, I used a 10 gauge wire from an old trolling motor connector.
Old 08-20-2018, 09:54 PM   #10
NoleFan4Ever
MOD of all BS!

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ribber View Post
I did not play around with the pedal when checking M and B, but can check later. Re-read my directions. You have to if you want to know that the controller is telling it to move.

Do you feel pretty certain the motor has issues? Not if you did not correctly complete the other tests as stated
I followed instructions to a Tee. Used a charged Deep Cycle battery and heavy duty jumper cables for the power. For the jumper, I used a 10 gauge wire from an old trolling motor connector.
I would re-read my directions and do them as stated and then draw the correct conclusion.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car