lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 02-13-2020, 09:13 AM   #1
LEMANSZ20
Gone Wild
Club Car

Default Project 87, Club Car DS

Hey guys ok, so heres my situation. As some know I got a cart for dumb cheap and just am slowly working on it here and there. I finally got batteries in in last night and wired up a few things, but more to how it originally was.

The good news is the cart moved, I bought all new solenoids from David on here, and put in the new batteries. To my surprise it actually went forward and reverse, issue is I started smelling burning so I stopped right away. I am going to provide a few before and after pictures, bc im going to now be in the tedious stage of not what goes where. IT seems the way it was wired before was incorrect, and I tried to hook up the charger, but kept blinking from yellow to red so I doubt it was charging(mod charger 36)

Now my plan is im gonna remove all accessory wires first, to eliminate some of my confusion, but one thing im most confused about is I have 2 white wires as shown in the photos that I cant see to find in the wire diagram.

I post the before, but if you guys can help me start diagnosing, im sure i am gonna ask alot of questions. One thing, and please understand when explaining things. LIterally my first time working on carts, so I dont know names of parts or frankly anything about guage cables and the voltage and what not. Its all chinese to me, so please be patient as I learn.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20200126_131728.jpg (251.4 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 20200201_090653.jpg (220.6 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 20200201_090657.jpg (152.1 KB, 0 views)
LEMANSZ20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2020, 09:19 AM   #2
LEMANSZ20
Gone Wild
Club Car

Default Re: Project 87, Club Car DS

Here is the current state, nothing is really Done so take it lightly. I was suggested by you guys to throw batteries in, but i decided replace solenoids and I changed out the battery cables that connect one another for new as well.

One thing I noticed is the cart seemed willing to go faster in reverse then forward in the few seconds I gave it gas.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20200213_090156.jpg (206.0 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 20200213_090244.jpg (210.3 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 20200213_090330.jpg (242.4 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 20200213_090313.jpg (124.5 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 20200213_090257.jpg (232.1 KB, 0 views)
Old 02-13-2020, 09:20 AM   #3
LEMANSZ20
Gone Wild
Club Car

Oh and Sorry Its a 1987 Club Car DS with the 5 Solenoids, very simple cart
Old 02-13-2020, 04:07 PM   #4
Budule
Gone Wild

Club Car

where does the big white wire on the pack positive go ? doesn't look right...
Budule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2020, 05:04 PM   #5
Mooncarter
Gone Insane

Club Car

Make sure you have the charging wires oriented correctly.

I see you have the + charging wire run directly to the pack. That's OK, but I think you may have them backward from the charging receptacle.
Mooncarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2020, 07:20 PM   #6
LEMANSZ20
Gone Wild
Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooncarter View Post
Make sure you have the charging wires oriented correctly.

I see you have the + charging wire run directly to the pack. That's OK, but I think you may have them backward from the charging receptacle.
Well see thats my confusion, I have these 2 white wires coming out of the charging port. My confusion started there, I think i figured out why the cart was running slower, thanks to David, the guy is the king. I put the forward on the wrong battery and was only getting 18 volts. I havent run it by driving it, but its on jack stands, cause I seriously need new brakes in the back.

I just ordered them so hopefully that will get taken care of. I just gotta figure out where some of these main cables go, and mainly right now the charger ones are the most confusing ones.
Old 02-13-2020, 07:59 PM   #7
Budule
Gone Wild

Club Car

should be like this ….
hot side of charge port to F/R switch (via fuse)
and Neg side goes to Pack Neg....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg thGX5GNGA8.jpg (29.9 KB, 0 views)
Old 02-13-2020, 08:25 PM   #8
LEMANSZ20
Gone Wild
Club Car

Yeah the thing is that thats the f/r switch, the 2 white cables are coming out of the charger port
Old 02-14-2020, 05:24 AM   #9
Budule
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by LEMANSZ20 View Post
Yeah the thing is that thats the f/r switch, the 2 white cables are coming out of the charger port
the white cable on the hot side is the red one in the pic that says "charger port " the white cable on the neg side goes to pack neg.....looks like you have the hot one going to the pack positive , which will work but the less cables on there the better....
Old 02-14-2020, 02:02 PM   #10
Mooncarter
Gone Insane

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Budule View Post
the white cable on the hot side is the red one in the pic that says "charger port " the white cable on the neg side goes to pack neg.....looks like you have the hot one going to the pack positive , which will work but the less cables on there the better....
If you look closely at the photo, it looks like he has the 2 wires coming from the charging port backward. The one closest to the driver's side should go to - and the other one to +.

Yes, it was factory wired to go to the FNR for the positive side but I don't see where that really matters. He needs to get the charger working and throw a charge on those new batteries.

Also, the FNR diagram above is for a V-glide with POSITIVE key switch. This cart has no V-glide and the key switch is negative.
Mooncarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car