lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-21-2018, 06:54 AM   #1
5Star
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Default 2002 Club Car DS No Torque in Reverse

Hello all, New to the forum. I just purchased my first golf cart. 2002 48v Club Car DS with the blue high speed motor and it has the rocker switch for FNR. The cart has a top end speed of 27mph and has a lot of torque moving forward. I can drive it up onto the back of my pickup, via ramps, no problem. Here is the problem...When I put the cart in reverse it moves just fine until it meets the smallest resistance. ie: Going up a small incline or even someone pushing against the reverse motion from the rear. Batteries are 3 months old and fully charged. All register the same voltage on my meter. All of my electrical connections have been cleaned and are solid. Don't know what else to do. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.
5Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 10-21-2018, 07:25 AM   #2
NoleFan4Ever
MOD of all BS!

Club Car

Default Re: 2002 Club Car DS No Torque in Reverse

That is an IQ cart and the reverse is set at 1/2 or less. (for safety). I assume that is a high speed motor (maybe a D&D) and what you give to one end you take from the other. Since it is a Sepex cart, you obviously have a high speed motor and if that is your stock controller you probably only have a 250a Curtis, maybe bigger tires, etc. so unless you can get someone with a handheld Curtis Programmer to turn up the reverse, you will probably be looking at a controller upgrade down the road.

If you go with an Alltrax XCT 300 it will be a Plug and Play replacement for your stock controller and allow you to adjust the Reverse setting along with all the other settings via your laptop PC and the Alltrax Tool Kit.... It also gives you 350 max amperage. See them and other upgrades here https://www.revolutiongolfcars.com/c...-club-car-prec
NoleFan4Ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2018, 10:34 AM   #3
5Star
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Thank you for your reply and input. I am really just learning my cart. The 1st pic is my motor. The 2nd pic I think is a 48v to 12v inverter. The 3rd pic is my on board computer. And the 4th pic is the controller I found that under a gray box. And I do have 10" wheels. AND by the way...Your cart sounds like a BEAST!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg wlZH7HtQT%OtCkbZf8v4xg.jpg (195.4 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 7Gvf3dhlS6eZyEkH9u0LNw.jpg (206.4 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg W0mkcLniR2y8IEAXbn7jNw.jpg (224.3 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg bmQsS3HvTcqBz8kYSMtPKw.jpg (204.7 KB, 0 views)
Old 10-21-2018, 04:28 PM   #4
WalterM6
Gone Wild

Club Car

Try this, unless your in Florida. Find a steep hill. Go about halfway up and stop. After you're at a complete stop try to get going again. If you can't get going again your controller or batteries aren't able to put out enough power.
One other thing. Can you push your cart easily with one hand on a flat level surface?
WalterM6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2018, 06:24 PM   #5
NoleFan4Ever
MOD of all BS!

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5Star View Post
Thank you for your reply and input. I am really just learning my cart. The 1st pic is my motor D&D 9hp High Speed Motor. The 2nd pic I think is a 48v to 12v inverter Factory CC Voltage Reducer. The 3rd pic is my on board computer Correct. And the 4th pic is the controller I found that under a gray box Yes, stock Curtis 250a. And I do have 10" wheels ???. AND by the way...Your cart sounds like a BEAST!! That old thing is so weak it won't pull an oak leaf out a sick sows rear...
How tall are your tires??
Old 10-21-2018, 08:35 PM   #6
Fairtax4me
Bonafide Nincompoop

Club Car

You need a bigger controller to really unlock that motor. That stock controller just can’t deliver the juice needed for that motor to turn backwards.
Fairtax4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2018, 09:24 PM   #7
NoleFan4Ever
MOD of all BS!

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoleFan4Ever View Post
-snip-
If you go with an Alltrax XCT 300 it will be a Plug and Play replacement for your stock controller and allow you to adjust the Reverse setting along with all the other settings via your laptop PC and the Alltrax Tool Kit.... It also gives you 350 max amperage. See them and other upgrades here https://www.revolutiongolfcars.com/c...-club-car-prec
And 5Star, with that motor and other things it probably has now or in the near future, I would get the Alltrax 500a that way you get the full potential of what you want, need, and am capable of.....

Note- With all that you will need (if it does not have it yet), 2ga cables and 400a solenoid to complete the delivery system.
Old 10-22-2018, 07:22 AM   #8
5Star
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fairtax4me View Post
You need a bigger controller to really unlock that motor. That stock controller just can’t deliver the juice needed for that motor to turn backwards.
Thank you. That does seem to be the general consensus.
Old 10-22-2018, 07:25 AM   #9
5Star
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by WalterM6 View Post
Try this, unless your in Florida. Find a steep hill. Go about halfway up and stop. After you're at a complete stop try to get going again. If you can't get going again your controller or batteries aren't able to put out enough power.
One other thing. Can you push your cart easily with one hand on a flat level surface?
Thanks for your help. Tried the hill trick. Can't stop in the middle and get going again. Yes the cart pushes fairly easily on flat ground.
Old 10-22-2018, 07:38 AM   #10
5Star
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoleFan4Ever View Post
And 5Star, with that motor and other things it probably has now or in the near future, I would get the Alltrax 500a that way you get the full potential of what you want, need, and am capable of.....

Note- With all that you will need (if it does not have it yet), 2ga cables and 400a solenoid to complete the delivery system.
I am ordering 2ga welding cable and terminals and heat shrink to build them myself. Also ordering the 400 amp solenoid. Will have to wait on the controller. Is there a problem putting the 2 ga cables and the solenoid on before I get the upgraded controller? I will be replacing the Positive, Negative (through OBC), and the 5 battery jumpers. Also, do I need the 2 ga for the green or white wire? Do all of the jumpers need to be the same length? I ask because I reconfigured my batteries by flipping 3 of them around. Numbers 1, 4 and 6. Anal I know, but it just makes the cable run neater. And my tires are 205/65-10. 20.5 x 8.0 - 10. Sorry about all the rambling questions.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg CC_powerdrive_plus_(regen2).jpg (154.7 KB, 0 views)
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car