lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric golf carts > Tomberlin

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-03-2018, 09:12 PM   #1
nickdalzell1
Resident Curmudgeon

Default Got a puzzle here...

2010 Tomberlin E-merge 500, came in with a 'throttle fault' error, fixed that, now it just clicks and then, a few seconds later, says 'speed sensor fault'. It uses a sensor and magnet very close to a Club Car Precedent so I used one of those, done it before, but still get the same thing. Motor doesn't try to turn, but on the monitor tab on the handheld, it shows current being fed during the duration before the speed sensor fault shows again, so I'm guessing this fault is a symptom of it not turning (and therefore no pulses) and not the actual problem, which I assume was a bad motor. I did do a continuity test between F1 and F2 and A1 and A2 and they both pass with continuity, so now i'm stumped. I was hoping that one of those two tests would fail. What else can cause the controller to not turn the motor and dump with a speed sensor fault? We don't get many of these (they come from competition up the road, sadly, and the moron doesn't even work on anything he sells) But the few I've dealt with often run a few feet and then shut down if there's a speed sensor fault, this one does absolutely nothing except power up and the solenoid clicks.

Oh, and it does now show proper throttle % also on the monitor tab, which it did not during the throttle fault it came in with.
nickdalzell1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 07-03-2018, 11:10 PM   #2
Marty Florida
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: Got a puzzle here...

Does the cart have an EMCOR? If so, is it possible the plug connection to the EMCOR is corroded? Brother has a Club Car that had a dirty connector causing similar and sporadic problems. Mechanic cleaned both halves of connector real well and coated pins with dielectric grease and has worked fine ever since.
Marty Florida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2018, 11:12 PM   #3
nickdalzell1
Resident Curmudgeon

No, this one has an ITS similar to EZGO TXT but with three wires.

Motor looks to have been replaced recently although we never did it, Brushes seem OK just looking inside the grille cover.
Old 07-04-2018, 09:20 PM   #4
nickdalzell1
Resident Curmudgeon

I was correct about the 'speed sensor fault' being a symptom and not a cause. Pulled the motor off to look inside after reading others with similar issues on this forum having a problem with stuck brushes and they were indeed stuck and full of oxidation (me thinks this car is a flood special). cleaned everything out and reseated all of the brushes, made sure they were free and could move properly.

After the motor was put back on took it for a test drive, where it made it to 14MPH and squealed and came to a sudden stop, like the brakes were put on. It took off again and was leaving a large smoke trail and I could smell the motor cooking itself, and hear sparks. I had to limp it at less than 12MPH or it would slam on the (regen?) again, so I made it back, apparently the motor is on its way out. Either way figured i'd update the post. It never showed 'motor stall' when it slammed itself to a stop, but it did show speed sensor, throttle and low battery faults, Which i'm sure are symptoms as I load tested the batteries and they were not bad or low at all.

Basically driving it is akin to driving an RXV with a failing motor brake. Builds major resistance the further or faster you go.
Old 07-05-2018, 07:47 PM   #5
Golf cart guy
Gone Wild

armature motor windings fail often. If its smoking you have a motor issue still. Taking the motor out will tell the tail
Golf cart guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2018, 07:30 AM   #6
nickdalzell1
Resident Curmudgeon

The armature was cooked the first time we removed it, but it didn't appear destroyed. we sanded the contacts and everything looked OK (operative word LOOKED) but obviously the motor is going out. It will drive if you keep it at or below 12MPH (car can go to 25) but still gets very hot in a short time. There's a lot of resistance in the motor too as in it's difficult to turn, and I think a bearing is squeaking but couldn't determine if it was that or a brake hub rubbing.

This wouldn't be the first E-merge with a bad motor, and obviously this one already had one replaced. I really think whomever manufactured these things (China?) didn't put enough power or torque to handle how heavy these are. underneath they remind me of Hyundai cars, and a little Yamaha in between. I wonder if Tomberlin was a company taking assets and parts from the remnants of Hyundai and making themselves a new brand?

The concern I have is how corroded and such everything underneath is around the motor/frame. It's not battery acid AFAIK, it's like this car was under water. Thankfully not where the controller stuff is.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric golf carts > Tomberlin