lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-07-2015, 10:24 PM   #1
andrew520
Not Yet Wild

Default Help converting G1 solenoid setup to single G16 solenoid

I have a 1985 G1 cart with a 1998 G16 Engine. The person who did the swap left the original dual solenoid setup intact and I am now having an issue. The cart starts and runs fine when cold but after driving for awhile and getting it hot, if you stop the cart and attempt to start it again the solenoid just clicks, the starter doesn't crank, eventually it will start after the engine bay cools off a little. I installed this new Starter less than 1 month ago, was a brand new eBay purchase. These solenoids look original to the 1985 cart and since I only need it to crank forward I would like to eliminate this setup and install a single solenoid.

How should the starter be wired to be correct? Right now this is the setup:

"F2" IS + DIRECT TO BATTERY

Here is the solenoid I want to use (if it will work. It is a normally closed continuous duty solenoid)

Extra info:

Testing with a volt meter/test light with the cart off or key on, A1 A2 F1 and F2 on the starter are all hot (same when tested at the solenoids). The exciting wire gets hot with key on and foot on pedal, starter cranks and engine starts (when cool). When you push the pedal A1 goes dark and the other three remain hot.

Any input would be greatly appreciated thanks
andrew520 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-08-2015, 09:19 AM   #2
smallblock450sl
Sometime's............

Yamaha

Default Re: Help converting G1 solenoid setup to single G16 solenoid

Follow the wireing diagram for a G16. It's at the last of the owners manual attatched. You may need to open it with "adobe".
Attached Files
File Type: pdf 1998_-_Golf_Cars_-_Ultima_Gas.pdf (5.70 MB, 0 views)
smallblock450sl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2015, 09:55 AM   #3
andrew520
Not Yet Wild

So am I only supposed to use posts F2 and A1 on the starter generator? (plus the red and green small wires of course)
Old 08-08-2015, 10:33 AM   #4
smallblock450sl
Sometime's............

Yamaha

There will need to be a "jumper lead" from F1 to A2. Battery negative to A1 and solenoid lead to F2. This will give you the correct rotation.
Old 08-12-2015, 07:21 PM   #5
andrew520
Not Yet Wild

Thumbs up Re: Help converting G1 solenoid setup to single G16 solenoid

Thanks for the advice on the jumper wire! That's where I wasn't sure. Got the cart running and took it on a 3 mile drive and it didn't once fail to restart. Hoping the solenoids were the problem.
Old 08-12-2015, 07:35 PM   #6
smallblock450sl
Sometime's............

Yamaha

Cool Post up a picture of your ride! And I want a picture of of the engine compartment.
Old 08-14-2015, 10:13 PM   #7
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

Yes, please include pics of your new solenoid setup, its a common question around here (what to do about G1a solenoids). If it were my g1, i would be looking into a ezgo series electric F&R swap, pronto. I have not built this yet, but i would not even consider the crazy costs for those relays from the OEM or aftermarket. Its a big pain to convert to the new style on only one side. Please add pics of yours.
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha