lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-31-2011, 03:30 PM   #1
kellerjam
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

Default Increase hill and overall speed 2000.5 series

Hi all, new to the forum and looking for some advise. Just bought a 2000.5 Club Car DS Series (2000.5+ version with black struts, etc.). Speed is somewhat acceptable on flat streets, plenty downhill (of course), but way too slow up hill. Looking for advise to get some speed up hills and more speed in general, since I'll be forking out some cash to do that. Don't need 30 mph, but wouldn't mind getting to 22-23 mph with solid uphill speed for the best $$ possible.

- Has original motor and (white) controller.
- No lift
- Customer tires and rims (but ~same diamater maybe a little wider)
- Still need to add rear seat to fit family of five
- To be used only in house community only, which is mostly hills (I'd say maybe 30 degrees for a couple hundred yards at most).

Been researching a lot since I got it a week ago. Local cart shop says I need the whole enchilada: new motor, controller, F/R switch, solenoid and 4 ga cables. Looking for advise on whether this is the only way to get what I need for my situation. I've seen some comments here and there, but jus tnot sure they are relevant to my current specs and what I'm looking for it to do.

Thanks and look forward to learning from you all and enjoying the new ride.
kellerjam is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-31-2011, 03:53 PM   #2
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Increase hill and overall speed 2000.5 series

They are right, but I would hold out on the motor for a bit. Try a nice 4-500amp controller package and a good 2-4g cable set and see if you don't like what you get in terms of added torque on the hills.... later on you can rewind the old or buy a new motor.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 03:59 PM   #3
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Speed is a little harder to get in a series cart. They are made more for torque than speed. It can be done and they are very durable at it but it takes a bit more doing than a sepex cart for speed. You will need to upgrade the controller, solenoid, Cables, and F&R. Then you will be ready for speed mods like any one or a combination of the things below:
Speed motor (PQ Bandit or a rewind)
Taller gears and/or taller tires
A voltage increase
Old 05-31-2011, 10:23 PM   #4
kellerjam
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

Thanks, ScottyB. Whats the risk of doing controller, F&R, solenoid and cables but no motor? I.e., good chance of burning out the motor?
Old 05-31-2011, 10:35 PM   #5
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by kellerjam View Post
Thanks, ScottyB. Whats the risk of doing controller, F&R, solenoid and cables but no motor? I.e., good chance of burning out the motor?
Not absolutely.... that depends upon what mods you run, what size controller etc. and how you drive it and where

I have seen stock motors run for years on increased voltage.
Old 06-01-2011, 02:14 PM   #6
Tbinkley3
Getting Wild

Club Car

Thumbs up Re: Increase hill and overall speed 2000.5 series

Hey kellerjam if i am understanding you correctly you and i have carts that are alike. I just went through some mods to get speed. Here is a link to the thread
http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/elect...-problems.html
Tbinkley3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 12:05 PM   #7
kellerjam
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

Yes, looks like they were made about a week apart (serial # on mine is A0032), so thanks. I'm even more of a newbie so all this input is helpful.

If I read your thread right, you put in a Plum Quick motor - did you also upgrade to 4 gauge cable and new controller, solenoid and F/R switch?

How's the speed up hill with a few people on it now vs before? that's my biggest issue. I may get greedy at some point and want a ton of speed but I don't live in an area where's that is a good idea - max 22-23 on flats and some reasonable speed on a 45 degree hill is my short term minimum need.

Leaning to trying the controller/cable/F/R/solenoid upgrade first that scotty mentioned, see how it does, then add the upgraded motor later if needed (and properly upgrade the brakes at that point)

Thanks - any other learnings are welcomed since I am on a similar journey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tbinkley3 View Post
Hey kellerjam if i am understanding you correctly you and i have carts that are alike. I just went through some mods to get speed. Here is a link to the thread
http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/elect...-problems.html
Old 06-02-2011, 12:10 PM   #8
kellerjam
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

Thanks, Scotty - newbie question on controllers: GE or Alltrax seem like the top 2 - is that right? Are there differences? i.e., one more reliable or better for torque vs speed or ? Are these plug and play if I want to do the controller/cables/F/R/Solenoid route first as you suggest or do I need to get it pre-programmed or program it myself? What needs to be done when I then get a motor interms of making sure the controller I will already have works with the motor I get.

Just joined the foruma nd still searching so if I missed a good reference site already, please feel free to toss me a vine for that.

Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyb View Post
Not absolutely.... that depends upon what mods you run, what size controller etc. and how you drive it and where

I have seen stock motors run for years on increased voltage.
Old 06-02-2011, 12:22 PM   #9
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

You can choose between controllers that are programmable or non programmable.
You pay more for a programmable controller and 90% of all users never reprogram their controllers. They come set to 100% output with reasonable throttle and voltage parameters.
Typically I can get you a higher amperage control without programming for the same money as a smaller controller with program options.

One scenario where you may want program options would be if you were buying a really big controller now with plans for a big motor in the future... you would want to turn down the output for the stock motor now.

The guys at FSIP have a nice series control with adjustable (mechanical) throttle response and output.

Both Controls are compatible with the PQ motors. And both suppliers can outfit your purchase with a field map (program) to fit any major motor producer on today's market ~ all you have to do is ask
Old 06-02-2011, 12:37 PM   #10
Tbinkley3
Getting Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by kellerjam View Post
Yes, looks like they were made about a week apart (serial # on mine is A0032), so thanks. I'm even more of a newbie so all this input is helpful.

If I read your thread right, you put in a Plum Quick motor - did you also upgrade to 4 gauge cable and new controller, solenoid and F/R switch?

How's the speed up hill with a few people on it now vs before? that's my biggest issue. I may get greedy at some point and want a ton of speed but I don't live in an area where's that is a good idea - max 22-23 on flats and some reasonable speed on a 45 degree hill is my short term minimum need.

Leaning to trying the controller/cable/F/R/solenoid upgrade first that scotty mentioned, see how it does, then add the upgraded motor later if needed (and properly upgrade the brakes at that point)

Thanks - any other learnings are welcomed since I am on a similar journey
I did put in a Plum Quick motor, but there were some minor adjustments made once we received it. I did not do those adjustments...my new best friend did lol. I wanted additional speed, I couldn't handle 13mph but I also wanted torque, a little jump off the line. I did not want to get into the controller, the F/R switch or anything else. I will however have to put disc brakes all around or we'll tear the cart up just trying to stop it. As far as the cables I'll do that when I put all new batteries in. My cart carries me and one other since it's set up to play a round of golf as well. Scottyb and these other guys have been doing this for years and I'd follow their lead. What I did not want to do was lift the cart mainly because of all of the upgrading that would have to be done (contoller, F/R, Batteries, lift kit, cables etc.) what I did want was speed. By adding 12" rims and low pro tires I gained 3-4 mph and with the new motor we GPS'd it at 27mph on flat surface (took a long time to stretch it out) but it crusies at 22-23mph. Can't stress enough - in order to enjoy it it'll have to have good disc breaks. On a 45 degree incline? Man I don't have a clue Scottyb or Shadowman can answer that. Hope this helps :)
Tbinkley3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car