lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-25-2019, 01:08 PM   #1
buckeyeclubcar
Not Yet Wild

Default Club Car Charger not shutting off, causing batteries to "bubble"

I just purchased a 2001 Club Car DS, batteries were shot so I bought brand new ones. I installed them per the user manual and the club car works without a hitch.

Problem I am having is after charging batteries overnight I woke up to bad smell in the garage and found the batteries making a noise as if the acid inside was boiling. I drove it a few times that day with no problems and then plugged the charger in. the charger did its normal thing, clicked on then clicked off and right back on and was pumping juice to the batteries, within 2 hours the smell started again and the batteries sound like they were boiling on inside. So, I unplugged the charger and am worried to charge them again. Charger is a power drive 2 club car charger.

I read online that the OBC on club cars are essentially the worse thing Club Car ever did to their carts and see lots of forums to just bypass the OBC. But if I bypass how do I know that batteries are charged and when to unplug the charger once bypassed?

What should I do next? I read to reset the OBC and try charging again. But I worry with the batteries “bubbling” that I am going to ruin batteries, and we all know how expensive those are.

Hoping someone somewhere can help, I know I may not have a bunch of details here. Let me know if I need to give more details.
buckeyeclubcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2019, 01:17 PM   #2
Mooncarter
Gone Insane

Club Car

Default Re: Club Car Charger not shutting off, causing batteries to "bubble"

What you are experiencing is normal. If it does not shut off after about 16 hours you may have a problem.
Mooncarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2019, 01:22 PM   #3
Sergio
Gone Wild

Club Car

Make sure the cart has no alterations to the charging circuit, there can only be one cable on pack negative battery post and it must go through the OBC.

Also make sure that you connected the charger receptacle Red wire back to the pack positive battery post otherwise You will overcharge 5 batteries and kill the #6.

They are not "boiling", just gassing heavily, what was the current on the charger meter and the pack voltage after 2 hours of charging?
Sergio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2019, 01:43 PM   #4
buckeyeclubcar
Not Yet Wild

The charger started at 15 amps on the gauge then dropped to about 5 amps over time(the first charge i let go over night, roughly 8 hours). but the noise and smell is what worried me.

I will plug in first thing in the morning this Saturday and monitor it and see if it clicks off on its own but I will not let it go longer than 16 hours or so. thanks for the help. i will report back once i have tried this
buckeyeclubcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2019, 04:59 PM   #5
teecro
Gone Wild

Club Car

As long as the batteries are not HOT to the touch or actually bubbling over your good to go here as new batteries will indeed put out a bunch of stink the first couple of charges.
teecro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2019, 05:09 PM   #6
Mooncarter
Gone Insane

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckeyeclubcar View Post
The charger started at 15 amps on the gauge then dropped to about 5 amps over time(the first charge i let go over night, roughly 8 hours). but the noise and smell is what worried me.

I will plug in first thing in the morning this Saturday and monitor it and see if it clicks off on its own but I will not let it go longer than 16 hours or so. thanks for the help. i will report back once i have tried this
This is a good plan. Just don't interrupt the charge cycle.
Mooncarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2019, 01:22 PM   #7
nickdalzell1
Resident Curmudgeon

While the OBC is annoying to deal with, you're not any better off with the later ERIC system. Those chargers are as bad as Powerwise QE or Delta Q SC-48s. extremely high failure rate and disposable.

Best to bypass OBC and get a DPI.

If you do an OBC bypass either way you will need a different charger. Otherwise it will just run indefinitely until the plug is pulled.
nickdalzell1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car