lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-16-2019, 09:12 AM   #1
Kylehernandez
Not Yet Wild

Default Bad batteries?????? 2006 precedent

I recently bought a 2006 club car precedent. The batteries were only manufactured 2.5 years ago but when I check the water levels they were below the cell. I added water and did all the re charging and stuff but still don’t seem to get what I think I should out of a full charge. I can plug it in and let it charge until the charger shuts off. When I unplug the charger the low battery light comes on for a few seconds. After this, I drive it to the golf course which is about 3/4 mile away and after about 9 holes the battery light starts coming on mostly when pushing the brakes then eventually will come on and stay on for 20-30 seconds at a time. Yesterday I drove it there which was roughly 3/4 of a mile and played 18 holes and the cart power seemed weak while driving back home. Should I be getting more time out of a full charge than this or is this normal? Thanks in advance
Kylehernandez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2019, 03:12 PM   #2
LabRat
Gone Wild
Mixed Breed

Default Re: Bad batteries?????? 2006 precedent

Try to rule out all the simple stuff first....are cable clean & Tight. Do any get hot after running the cart. How is the specfic gravity of the pack after charging. Battery Health is a branch of science all by itself.
yes 2 year old batteries can go bad due to poor maintenance,
LabRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2019, 04:33 PM   #3
Htownblue
Gone Wild

Club Car

Your batteries are toast man.
Htownblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2019, 04:43 PM   #4
Kylehernandez
Not Yet Wild

I figured so. No telling how long it was ran with water way below the cells
Old 08-18-2019, 07:36 AM   #5
alchemy
Gone Wild

Sounds like you put a lot of water in the batteries. How many times have you cycled it from charged to way down? When I put a lot of water in the batteries (making sure they are all even) I have to charge and discharge a few times before it starts acting normal again and once or twice taking it way down to about 50% SOC. I wouldn't even check them until you did that. Then If they are still sub par check them individually. Maybe you only have one or two bad. Then depending on how much time you have 2.5 year old batteries should be recoverable unless the plates got damaged. The first and easiest restoration is just charging the hell out of them individually.
alchemy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2019, 01:24 PM   #6
Kylehernandez
Not Yet Wild

Thanks man I’ll try that. I’ve probably only ran them down and re charged them about 5 times since adding the water. I checked the individual voltage of them once fully charged and all are 12.3-12.5.
Old 08-18-2019, 06:05 PM   #7
alchemy
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kylehernandez View Post
Thanks man I’ll try that. I’ve probably only ran them down and re charged them about 5 times since adding the water. I checked the individual voltage of them once fully charged and all are 12.3-12.5.
5 times should be more than enough for what I was talking about. 12.3-12.5 is getting up there but not there (assuming that's stable V's after sitting a good while). Personally I'd try charging them individually on a car charger for 24 hrs and see if that increases them any. The plates are probably sulfated and the new water you added will help remove some especially if you can agitate it enough like from charging. Beyond that, I'm an organic chemist and it get's too tricky to talk about here. I used to get bad battery cores from a local parts stores and brought some back to like new and used them for years.
alchemy is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car