lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Design Center
Design Center Shop tools, fabrication and Paint and Body

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-09-2012, 01:15 PM   #1
Finman
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

Default Sanding Question

I picked up a 1997 G16 Yamaha and need to repaint it. The plastic body is weathered and has a rough feeling to it. What grit sand paper should i start with to get it into paintable shape?

thanks,

Cris
Finman is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 10-09-2012, 01:56 PM   #2
Irishjoker
Tay-maha or Yama-dunn
Taylor-Dunn

Default Re: Sanding Question

Are there any deep scratches or gouges?
Irishjoker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 01:59 PM   #3
Finman
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

no, just the body is rough. it almost feels like sandpaper itself.
thought about starting with around a 350 grit and go from there.

Thanks,
Cris
Finman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 02:04 PM   #4
Irishjoker
Tay-maha or Yama-dunn
Taylor-Dunn

I start w/400, then 1000 & if need be 1500. I rattle can everything, so it maybe a little different for a nicer paint job. If so, someone else will chime up. Hope ths helps.
Irishjoker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 06:28 AM   #5
Gonkulor
Astronautilator

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishjoker View Post
I start w/400, then 1000 & if need be 1500. I rattle can everything, so it maybe a little different for a nicer paint job. If so, someone else will chime up. Hope ths helps.

Ha! some of these emotes are cool if you spend the time to look at all of them.

Fin you could step through as many steps of fine paper as you have time for. When you sand it and rub your palm across it you will feel if you need to sand it more. Paint will fill micro defects but if the defect is caused by a stress point, the crack will come back at some point. If you just have a crazed surface from sun and wear than 1500 grit will be fine.

I have a sanding kit with 20k grit micromesh wetsanding paper. That might be overdoing it but that kit is for windows, and maybe showroom quality I suppose.
Gonkulor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 06:34 AM   #6
1moretoy
Never really finished

Mixed Breed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finman View Post
I picked up a 1997 G16 Yamaha and need to repaint it. The plastic body is weathered and has a rough feeling to it. What grit sand paper should i start with to get it into paintable shape?

thanks,

Cris
Cris, I had to do mine twice because I thought I had it smooth enough after the first sanding and the small fibers in the plastic body came back to life once I started shooting the paint to it. Kinda looked like it had hair. What a PITA. Do it right the first time believe me
1moretoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 06:43 AM   #7
Gonkulor
Astronautilator

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1moretoy View Post
Cris, I had to do mine twice because I thought I had it smooth enough after the first sanding and the small fibers in the plastic body came back to life once I started shooting the paint to it. Kinda looked like it had hair. What a PITA. Do it right the first time believe me
There ya go. As I mentioned my 20k grit kit, but that is overkill. When do you stop? How fine did you eventually go 1moretoy?
Old 10-12-2012, 05:22 AM   #8
1moretoy
Never really finished

Mixed Breed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gonkulor View Post
There ya go. As I mentioned my 20k grit kit, but that is overkill. When do you stop? How fine did you eventually go 1moretoy?
since mine had new paint and just needed the fine hair like fibers smoothed out, I went back with scotch brite first then 600 grit and wet sanded it.

Kinda funny, while doing the wet sanding (on red paint) my wife came out to my shop to check on things and thought I had cut a finger off or something. Bright red runny stuff all down my arms and hands and drops on the floor.
1moretoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 07:12 AM   #9
Gonkulor
Astronautilator

E-Z-GO

Very very glad you didn't lose a finger. I would have done the pout look and assisted in all forms of make me feel betrer! A guy can pout and if you get luck.... *cheers
Old 10-12-2012, 08:57 AM   #10
Honorstick
Gone Wild Still Learnin

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gonkulor View Post
Very very glad you didn't lose a finger. I would have done the pout look and assisted in all forms of make me feel betrer! A guy can pout and if you get luck.... *cheers
That depends on the wife, mine's a nurse and unless I'm dieing I can't get any sympathy.
Honorstick is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Design Center