lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-24-2011, 01:03 PM   #1
Mark45053
Not Yet Wild

Default Opinions-- going to four 12v batteries

The 6 - 8v batteries in our Club Car are finally shot after 13 years of use.
I have been reading how the 8v batteries give longer run time but that is not a big factor for us. Our cart is used for maybe 30 minutes a day maybe 3 or 4 days a week during the summer months. Weight is a factor however as we use it to run up and down hills and trails in our woods.
I was thinking of switching to four 12V.
Another consideration is I have an expensive computerized 12V de-sulfication charger I use for deep cycle trolling batteries.
My fear though is will my 48V Club Car charger work with the 12V batteries and will I get the same kind of life out of them.
Mark45053 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-24-2011, 02:27 PM   #2
SaltLifeCC
Gone Wild

Default Re: Opinions-- going to four 12v batteries

I'm confused - are you talking about using 4 trolling batteries? Or are you thinking of charging the batteries with the 12v charger? 1 at a time - what a pain.

Can't speak to whether your existing charger will work or not. But, the opposite of your question comes up quite a bit on Precedents that have 4 12v batteries, like mine does, and whether or not it is worth it to convert to 6 8v batteries. I've seen 2 things to consider given to those questions. First, it is said that 8v batteries will give better range. Second, it has been said that they last longer before needing to be replaced. As you have pointed out for your situation, mine is similar in that range hasn't been an issue for us. While we use our cart more than 30 minutes a day when we take it camping, it has never run out on us before we were done with it for the day. So, for me, why pay the expense to swap to 8v's if the 12v stock setup is doing what I need it to. As for lasting longer before needing to be replaced, I don't know that yet. Mine are 08 batteries and still working fine. I suppose some mathematical reasons can be given to support the longer life argument, but I don't have them. I've owned the cart for maybe a year now and I'm most likely going to keep it past the point of needing a new set of batteries. But, before those go south, it probably won't belong to me anymore, anyway.

I think my 2 cents in your case would be: if you got 13 years out of a set of 8v batteries, why change anything, whether you need the extra range or not. I certainly wouldn't want to charge each 12v battery up separately - unless you are just talking about using it occasionally for the desulfication feature. In all the posts I've read about converting Precedents from 12v to 8v packs, I haven't seen anyone say a new charger was needed. As a matter of fact, I think you'd find that many have the same chargers but have different setups (12v vs. 8v), so my guess is it would work fine. All that said, if I just got 13 years out of a battery pack, I'd probably be looking at putting exactly what was in it, back in it, or as close as I could get, and hope for another 13 year run.
SaltLifeCC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 02:28 PM   #3
Stevec3201
haveacupofshutthe****up

Club Car

Mark,
I have an '07 Precedent that still has the original CC batts (4X12). The batts are about 85% +/- strong and give me plenty of power and run time, so much, that I can't justify replacing them yet. I use my cart way more than you use yours, so switching from 6 to 4 should not affect you in any negative way.

As far as your other concerns, I'll leave that up to the experts, as I have no expeirence with 6 battery carts.

However, if I had your cart, I would keep the 6 battery arrangement. I bet the added weight of the batteries is well justified by the added amps you can store.
Steve
Stevec3201 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 05:18 PM   #4
samsonone
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

48 volt's is 48 volt's the charger will charge the batt's. No more than you are using tnem as long as they are charged properly an the water is checked on a regular basis 4 12 volt will work fine. but understand club car stop using them in fleet use because they would only last about two years. they wentback to the 6-8 volt setup or the 6-6volt system for a 36 volt cart.
samsonone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 05:25 PM   #5
shadowman
The Last Moja Morani

Club Car

welcome to BGW .............your gonna get so many opinions on this it will make your head spin......i,ll give you my perspective from working on carts with both arrangments and i,ll keep it as short as possible..............i would stay with the 8 volt batteries...........................
shadowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 08:06 PM   #6
TahoeDawgZ71
revolutiongolfcars.com

Club Car

The On-Board computer on the cart will have no idea how to react to this. Yes, 48 Volts is 48 Volts, but there are different on-board computers on these carts for a reason. Software versions vary throughout these OBCs. If you're gonna run four 12 Volt batteries you'd need a DS IQ computer, version 4.0. This was found on the 2006-2009 DS IQ cars with 4 12Volt batteries. However, your car must be 13 years old or more since you stated the batteries lasted you that long, you obviously don't have an IQ car. The only vehicle this OBC would be compatible with, other than an IQ vehicle, would be a 97-2000 Regen2. With your current OBC, the charger would turn on, charge, and turn off. However, you would either A. Not get a full charge on your battery pack, or B. Overcharge the battery pack before the charger turned off. It's all according to the software of your current OBC. If you can tell me the year and model/style of your DS Golf car I'll be able to help you a little more. My opinion on it, NO! Don't do it. You'd spend more money adapting 12V batteries into this car and making them charge properly than you would by replacing them with better 8V batteries.
TahoeDawgZ71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 09:34 PM   #7
shadowman
The Last Moja Morani

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by TahoeDawgZ71 View Post
The On-Board computer on the cart will have no idea how to react to this. Yes, 48 Volts is 48 Volts, but there are different on-board computers on these carts for a reason. Software versions vary throughout these OBCs. If you're gonna run four 12 Volt batteries you'd need a DS IQ computer, version 4.0. This was found on the 2006-2009 DS IQ cars with 4 12Volt batteries. However, your car must be 13 years old or more since you stated the batteries lasted you that long, you obviously don't have an IQ car. The only vehicle this OBC would be compatible with, other than an IQ vehicle, would be a 97-2000 Regen2. With your current OBC, the charger would turn on, charge, and turn off. However, you would either A. Not get a full charge on your battery pack, or B. Overcharge the battery pack before the charger turned off. It's all according to the software of your current OBC. If you can tell me the year and model/style of your DS Golf car I'll be able to help you a little more. My opinion on it, NO! Don't do it. You'd spend more money adapting 12V batteries into this car and making them charge properly than you would by replacing them with better 8V batteries.

shadowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car