lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-22-2010, 05:22 PM   #1
Randy102771
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Default Buildup inside battery cells

Just bought a 2004 CC Precedent with 4 12 volt Trojan batteries. I think the batteries are 2007's. They seem to be in fair condition as far as run time. My question is that inside some of the cells is a buildup that looks like gray mud. Or imagine if you ground up lead into a powder, this is what it looks like. It does not seem to be a crystallized formation. Any ideas as to what this is and is it harmful to batteries? Can I fix it or treat the batteries with anything?
Randy102771 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 10-22-2010, 06:53 PM   #2
dougmcp
Gone Wild

Default Re: Buildup inside battery cells

I think that's an indication of stratification but I'm not entirely sure. I would just charge them and forget it. The older precedents have a habit of going through batteries every 2-4 years and yours are probably due.
IMO, I would look into the 4x12v to 6x8v battery upgrade next time you need batteries.
dougmcp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2010, 09:09 PM   #3
Colbyntx
Gone Wild

Club Car

I have the same thing in my 2008 stock trojan 4X12's. I just keep the water level good and forget about it. I can run 2 rounds of golf and still not worry about it!
Colbyntx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2010, 12:10 AM   #4
Randy102771
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Thanks for the info guys. I just wanted to be sure I wasn't headed for a big problem.
Old 10-23-2010, 01:12 AM   #5
xxjpegxx
Not Yet Wild

Have you deeply discharged the batteries??
I believe I have read somewhere when a very deep discharge is made it can lead to an oxidation forming on the separator plates in the batteries.
xxjpegxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2010, 04:56 AM   #6
2frank
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

Make sure the cap vents are clean and you are charging the batteries in a well vented area.....Frank
2frank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2010, 10:07 AM   #7
OLD MEC
Gone Wild

Club Car

XXJPEQXX is correct its called "SULFATION" and Trojan recommends a EQUALIZING CHARGE. If you charge after each time the cart is use and have the STOCK CC CHARGER and leave it hooked up until charger turns itself off, you will have this done automatically. By never allowing batterys to get below 50% MAXIMUM you should not see this until batterys are on the way to REPLACEMENT?
DOUGMCP is also correct the life of 12 volt batterys seem to be short ( 2-3 Years ) and most are being replaced when bad with conversion and 8 volt batterys that will increase range and life by minimum of 25-30% IF TAKEN CARE OF? Kit is CC numbers AM1275201 $345.00 and #10336840 $71.10 plus labor and new 8 volt batterys.
OLD MEC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2010, 05:23 PM   #8
Randy102771
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

I've only had the cart for 4 weeks so I can't speak as to how it's been treated in the past. I do have the stock PowerDrive2 charger and I let it charge till it cuts off. I do charge it whenever I use the cart fully even just for a few minutes.
With all that said if it is sulfation or oxidation or stratification, is there anything I can do about it to fix it?
Old 10-24-2010, 07:59 AM   #9
OLD MEC
Gone Wild

Club Car

If the charger doesnt help removing the material I wouldnt worry as it may be too late or that its as COLBYHTX says and its still working OK. There are lots of MIRACLE CURES for all kinds of battery problems, they are all quake material for sale to seperate you from your money that if did any good would be sold by battery companies?
Just sit back and enjoy your cart like we all do.
OLD MEC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2010, 08:32 AM   #10
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

It's been explained to me that the water becomes discolored when the lead plates are dissolving or breaking down. This material becomes suspended in the water. Typically the S/G readings will be lower in batteries with discolored water. The coloring is either gray or reddish. The only known cure is replacement. Start saving for new batteries
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car