lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-01-2019, 05:22 PM   #1
sahkanaga
Not Yet Wild

Default Finished My Alltrax Upgrade Today

I finished installing my Alltrax XCT48400 I got from Scottyb today. What a difference in speed and power! The instructions from Scotty were great and made it much easier to install than the SR48300 that I also got from him for my EZGO. I played around some with the programming to let it run a little faster when coasting downhill. I also upgraded all of the battery and power cables to 2 AWG except for the one running through the OBC where the hole it runs through would only allow for a 4AWG cable. I thought of drilling the hole out larger but didn't want to mess up anything in the OBC. The very best part, and the original reason for the upgrade, is that I no longer have to rely on a dealer's IQDM handset to troubleshoot potential problems or change any settings.
sahkanaga is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-01-2019, 06:23 PM   #2
NoleFan4Ever
MOD of all BS!

Club Car

Default Re: Finished My Alltrax Upgrade Today

Quote:
Originally Posted by sahkanaga View Post
-snip- except for the one running through the OBC where the hole it runs through would only allow for a 4AWG cable. I thought of drilling the hole out larger but didn't want to mess up anything in the OBC.
Yeah, you did not want to do that as you would have lost the Hall sensor and the OBC would have been useless. If it only would not fit because of the 2AWG lug, then just take 2 pair of needle-nose pliers and bend it like a "U" and it will go through. Then just flatten it back out and terminate it to B-.

If it would not fit due to the cable sheathing (which would be odd), then you can get a brass stud kit and mount it through the hole and connect to both sides of the OBC.
NoleFan4Ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2019, 06:25 PM   #3
mrgolf
Old Sky Soldier

Club Car

What ever you do, do not drill the obc hole out. That will destroy the obc, the hole is a sensor.
mrgolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2019, 06:31 PM   #4
NCPW
Just Gone

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by sahkanaga View Post
I finished installing my Alltrax XCT48400 I got from Scottyb today. What a difference in speed and power! The instructions from Scotty were great and made it much easier to install than the SR48300 that I also got from him for my EZGO. I played around some with the programming to let it run a little faster when coasting downhill. I also upgraded all of the battery and power cables to 2 AWG except for the one running through the OBC where the hole it runs through would only allow for a 4AWG cable. I thought of drilling the hole out larger but didn't want to mess up anything in the OBC. The very best part, and the original reason for the upgrade, is that I no longer have to rely on a dealer's IQDM handset to troubleshoot potential problems or change any settings.
DO NOT DO THIS! Unless you want to destroy the obc.

You have a few options to run your larger cable through the obc:
-Use a brass stud/bolt kit with 2awg cables connected on each end to go though the obc. You can buy the kit from scottyb or source the parts yourself from the hardware store.

- take a 2awg cable without a lug on the end and feed the cable through the obc after lubing it up with vaseline or dielectric grease then crimp your new lug on the end.

- lastly, you could take a 2awg cable that already has a lug crimped on and fold the lug into a "v" shape with a pair of pliers. Then feed it through the obc after greasing it up then unfold the lug back to its normal shape
NCPW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2019, 06:32 PM   #5
NoleFan4Ever
MOD of all BS!

Club Car

You guys type too slow....
NoleFan4Ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2019, 07:37 PM   #6
sahkanaga
Not Yet Wild

The diameter of the cable with the insulation is too large for the 2AWG to fit through the hole. I will re-wire using a brass stud as suggested. I remember now that the drawing supplied with the controller mentioned a brass stud but I guess memory is the second thing to go. I may make a copper stud which would be better than brass.
Old 08-02-2019, 09:00 AM   #7
Hunter450
Gone Wild

Club Car

Or you could purchase 3 feet of quality 2ga welding lead with thinner sheathing that will go through the OBC hole.
Hunter450 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2019, 02:47 PM   #8
NCPW
Just Gone

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoleFan4Ever View Post
You guys type too slow....
My dang fat fingers on this dang phone!
NCPW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2019, 05:15 PM   #9
sahkanaga
Not Yet Wild

I hadn't thought of measuring the 2AWG welding cable that I have, but will do so now. I always use tinned boat cable, but have plenty of welding cable laying around that I took off of some yachts and replaced with boat cable when I had my marine electrical business. In a salt water environment the welding cable often absorbs oil and water and should never be used on a boat. I know it is overkill in a golf cart but old habits die hard.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car