lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-02-2013, 11:55 PM   #1
Commitclothing
Not Yet Wild

Default Six 12 volt Gel Cells in a 36v TXT

First off, thank you everyone participating in this forum, it's a killer reference place for new cart owners! I picked up a 2006 EZGO TXT series cart for cheap with no batteries. I got a deal on some 12v gel cell surplus batteries that were pulled from 2010 GEM smart cars. I took the batteries down to my local Bat. + store and Had them tested. Seven of these batteries that have tested out well and I figure they should work in the cart.

I'm going to run two battery "packs" which will consist of three batteries ran in series, the two packs being ran in parallel to the controller. Any ideas how this combo might be as far as performance/endurance is concerned vs six 6 volt lead acid?

My dilemma is charging. I got a free 36 volt golf cart charger that looks brand new, but haven't tested it yet. I have read that gel cell batteries should be charged with a 3 or 4 stage charger that is specifically designed for gel cell batteries. I have found this one: , at $300 it's not cheap but it's cheaper than $620 for a new set of 6v batteries, and possible s charge(if my free one doesn't work)

Anybody see why this wouldn't work or a better bang for my buck? I don't want to put a lot into this right now, but don't want to shoot myself in the foot either!!

Thanks in advance for any advice or suggestions.
Commitclothing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 02:58 AM   #2
traperguy84
Gone Wild

Club Car

Its been years since i had my electric cart but i do believe the more batteries the lobger your run time because of higher amperage. So in the running of 6 12v batteries properly wired should give you decent run time!

Never worked with that type of battery so i cant answer the charging questions

Posted using Tapatalk
traperguy84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 03:59 AM   #3
sportcoupe
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Six 12 volt Gel Cells in a 36v TXT

Assuming that your 12v batteries have a 100ah rating (I got that from a google search) you effectively have a 200ah 36v pack. You should get respectable performance and range with such a pack. Good find.

You're not wasting money on a GEL charger, most are capable of charging regular lead acid batteries too. If you get one of those it will still work when the GEL batteries fail and you go back to lead acid.
sportcoupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 11:28 AM   #4
Commitclothing
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by sportcoupe View Post
Assuming that your 12v batteries have a 100ah rating
Where did you find this onfo on the batteries? I cant find any info on these online anywhere except from the official GEM site, and it doesnt give any specs...
Old 04-03-2013, 05:01 AM   #5
JcXtreme72
Gone Wild
Yamaha

Get a gel charger and convert to 72 volt lol.
JcXtreme72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 07:08 AM   #6
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Commitclothing View Post
My dilemma is charging. I got a free 36 volt golf cart charger that looks brand new, but haven't tested it yet. I have read that gel cell batteries should be charged with a 3 or 4 stage charger that is specifically designed for gel cell batteries. I have found this one: , at $300 it's not cheap but it's cheaper than $620 for a new set of 6v batteries, and possible s charge(if my free one doesn't work)
What golf cart charger do you have?

If it has a setting for AGM batteries, it might work. Their charge profile is similar to Gel-Cells.

If it doesn't, the finish voltage will be too high and you will end up with bulging cases and leaking electrolyte.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 11:35 AM   #7
Commitclothing
Not Yet Wild

Looks like I forgot to link to the charger!!

http://www.chargingchargers.com/char...ll/i-3612.html

This is the one I'm looking at... does anyone have any better options?

Also..as far as converting to 72 Volts, I have ran that one through the idea bin as well. Im pretty sure i can get a hold of one of the 72v GEM chargers, then run all six batteries in series and I've got 72volts. I have read that I can use the stock EZGO 36v motor as it is rated past 8k RPMs....is this correct? and is there any decent controllers out there that can handle 72v without spending over $500? I know if I go this route I would probably need to change all of my cabling over to 2ga, besides that, will I have any problems?

My options to get cart running:
buy six 6 volt lead acid batteries = $620
buy 36v gel cell charger and use my 12v GEM batteries = $300 + Shipping
buy controller and cabling and run the cart as 72v = cost of controller and new cabling.....

Suggestions?
Old 04-03-2013, 01:11 PM   #8
sportcoupe
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

I just googled GEM 12v gel battery spec. If you post a picture of the battery (side and top) we can look up the exact Deka battery it really is.

If you run all batteries in series for 72v your range will be half what it would be at 36v.
Old 04-03-2013, 02:16 PM   #9
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by sportcoupe View Post
If you run all batteries in series for 72v your range will be half what it would be at 36v.
When you change pack voltage, you have to work in Watt-Hours (Volts X Amp-Hours) rather than Amp-Hours.
Assuming the 36V and 72V motor/controller have the same efficiency and the cart weight and/or rolling resistance doesn't changed significantly,the cart will take about the same number of Watts to move it from Point-A to Point-B, so the run-time will be about the same with a 200AH 36V pack or a 100AH 72V pack.

The most common example of this is the common practice of upgrading from 36V (6 x 6V 225AH battery) to 48V (6 x 8V 170AH battery).
Both battery packs have roughly the same kWh of stored energy and the run-time stays about the same.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 02:38 PM   #10
sportcoupe
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

JohnnieB is right about range, I was very wrong when I said range would be reduced at 72v compared to 36v with the same batteries. I should have remember that too since I am running 72v golf cart.

FYI, my 36v motor held up to 72v ok but did run warm during extended rides.

Tags
36v, charging, ezgo, gel cell
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO