lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-14-2012, 10:42 AM   #21
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Help~Cart dies intermittently then will run again once it sits

Don't discharge the batteries any more than they already are and if you have a 12V car battery charger, charge them two at a time.

You don't have to disconnect the interconnecting cables in the battery pack, just connect the 12V charger as shown on the attached drawing.

Each pair should be charged to an on-charge voltage of at least 14.7V, which may take a while unless the 12V charger puts out 20A or so.

-----------------

A PW-II is built like a tank and is 100% repairable, but if you are not comfortable digging into it, it might be best to take it to somebody that is.
The service manual I posted has schematics and how to troubleshoot it.

The problem is most likely either the Diodes or the Capacitor.
All the control board does is turn the charger on and off, and the charger is turning on, so it is most likely good.

The problem could also be a bad battery in the pack or a high resistance connection.

To eliminate the batteries and cart connections, try your charger on a different cart and/or a different charger on your cart.

If you do decide to go with a new charger, this is what I use:http://www.cartsunlimited.net/48v_Battery_Charger.html
BTW: I also have a PW-II that I have modified for some specific purposes.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Battery Wiring - TXT and Medalist -12V charger.JPG (36.2 KB, 0 views)
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 07-02-2020, 08:23 AM   #22
djcvet
Not Yet Wild

I am having the same problem. I have a 1996 EZGO 36 volt cart that I just bought and installed 6 brand new Rolls batteries in it. They were fully charged at 38.2 volts. We took it out last night and had 2 adults and a 70 lb dog on it. We road around with the lights on for about the distance of a 9 hole golf course. 1/2 mile from home I started noticing the power diminishing until it finally quit altogether. I towed it home and checked the battery voltage and it was at 37.2 volts. What am I missing here? I am new to the electric cart world. I was told that with this cart and good batteries under normal conditions it should go 30 miles before a recharge is needed. Just curious why a solenoid would fail after 20 minutes of operation?
djcvet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2020, 11:57 AM   #23
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by djcvet View Post
I am having the same problem. I have a 1996 EZGO 36 volt cart that I just bought and installed 6 brand new Rolls batteries in it. They were fully charged at 38.2 volts. We took it out last night and had 2 adults and a 70 lb dog on it. We road around with the lights on for about the distance of a 9 hole golf course. 1/2 mile from home I started noticing the power diminishing until it finally quit altogether. I towed it home and checked the battery voltage and it was at 37.2 volts. What am I missing here? I am new to the electric cart world. I was told that with this cart and good batteries under normal conditions it should go 30 miles before a recharge is needed. Just curious why a solenoid would fail after 20 minutes of operation?
Suggest starting a new thread rather than hijacking an 8 year old one.
Old 07-02-2020, 12:05 PM   #24
coosa
Gone Wild

Smile Re: Help~Cart dies intermittently then will run again once it sits

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnieB View Post
Suggest starting a new thread rather than hijacking an 8 year old one.
LOL, I read the whole thread before I realized it was 8 yrs old. I thought you must have bought a second cart to tinker with when I read that you had a cart that was stock. How long were you content to drive that thing around at 12 mph before you started upgrading?
coosa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2020, 12:17 PM   #25
cdressel
Getting Wild
E-Z-GO

A stock PDS cart will run approx. 19 mph.
Chuck
cdressel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2020, 12:58 PM   #26
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by coosa View Post
LOL, I read the whole thread before I realized it was 8 yrs old. I thought you must have bought a second cart to tinker with when I read that you had a cart that was stock. How long were you content to drive that thing around at 12 mph before you started upgrading?
Got 2008 PDS cart on 16-Jun-11 and ordered 2Ga cable set on 20-Jun-11.
Cart ran about 19MPH in freedom mode and about 15MPH in Mild Hill mode (Put a toggle switch in so I could switch between modes easily.)

I tolerated 12MPH on some of the steeper hills in the area for about 17 months and installed a DCX400 with a MZJ400 solenoid in Nov-12, which upped the speed up to about 24MPH, but still slowed down to about 12MPH on those hills.

Upgraded to a 42V battery pack a few months later and that kicked the top speed up to a bit over 28MPH, AND only slowed down to about 20MPH on the hills, so I was happy. (Also had 36+ mile range )

Exploded the stock PDS motor, which took out the DCX400, so I went to a DCX500 and a D&D ES-76-51 motor in Jul-13. Still had about same top speed, but a lot more torque and didn't slow quite as much on those hills.

I replaced the DCX500 with a XCT48400-PDS in May-15 so I could RPM limit my motor going downhill. I actually RPM limited my motor to 6250RPM, so the cart's top speed is now 25.5MPH and stays under 7000RPM going down the hill I exploded my stock PDS motor going down at full throttle.
Old 07-03-2020, 11:18 AM   #27
coosa
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnieB View Post
Got 2008 PDS cart on 16-Jun-11 and ordered 2Ga cable set on 20-Jun-11.
Cart ran about 19MPH in freedom mode and about 15MPH in Mild Hill mode (Put a toggle switch in so I could switch between modes easily.)

I tolerated 12MPH on some of the steeper hills in the area for about 17 months and installed a DCX400 with a MZJ400 solenoid in Nov-12, which upped the speed up to about 24MPH, but still slowed down to about 12MPH on those hills.

Upgraded to a 42V battery pack a few months later and that kicked the top speed up to a bit over 28MPH, AND only slowed down to about 20MPH on the hills, so I was happy. (Also had 36+ mile range )

Exploded the stock PDS motor, which took out the DCX400, so I went to a DCX500 and a D&D ES-76-51 motor in Jul-13. Still had about same top speed, but a lot more torque and didn't slow quite as much on those hills.

I replaced the DCX500 with a XCT48400-PDS in May-15 so I could RPM limit my motor going downhill. I actually RPM limited my motor to 6250RPM, so the cart's top speed is now 25.5MPH and stays under 7000RPM going down the hill I exploded my stock PDS motor going down at full throttle.
Thanks for the timeline. I started reading here regularly in 2013 and I knew you had already upgraded it by then. Your success at getting that kind of speed encouraged me to get a PDS cart. The old resistor cart I had before was lucky to make 12 mph on flat ground.
coosa is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO