lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-03-2020, 06:59 PM   #1
Nucc10
Not Yet Wild

Default Need assistance; 05 Club car losing power.

Hello,

My 05 48v Club Car DS IQ was working fine after new batteries, and adding a street legal kit light and blinker kit. Also added a lift kit. After a week of zero issues when I went to use Yesterday the cart lost power after about 20 yards and the roll away buzzer comes on and the safety brakes feature kicks in. When I try to press the Accelerator again it has a short light jolt and loses power again. On the third try it doesn't even jolt. If I shut the key off and then on and try again I get a tiny jolt. If I shut it down into tow then run again it seems to go back to step one and rolls a little then loses power again.

Batteries are at 51v and 3 weeks old. All lights brakes and Led lights work fine also off my 12v converter that's supposed to run off the whole pack. All accessories are cut from key switch with no draw on power and they all run through a small fuse block.

I replaced the MCOR 4 that Already had a conversion kit but that didn't fix it.
I thinking it may be the Solenoid going bad maybe?

I took readings with my multimeter and got 49.8v from yellow big wire on big terminal and ground on controller. The big red on other large terminal with black touched on controller tested at 50.3v.
When I touched both small terminals it read 30.1v

Multimeter red to One small terminal and Black to ground read 19.6 and the other doing the same read 0.

Besides all that when I turn the key on I'm not hearing the Solenoid click. Not 100% though if it is or not.
Any ideas????
Thank you-
Nucc10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 07-03-2020, 07:25 PM   #2
mrgolf
Old Sky Soldier

Club Car

Default Re: Need assistance; 05 Club car losing power.

You said you installed a lift kit? Check the wires going to controller under the controller cover.
mrgolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2020, 09:34 PM   #3
Nucc10
Not Yet Wild

Thank you. What am I looking for? My brother in law and I have the same cart and did it together. I've been running great all week. Parked it a few days and it's charged perfect with the proper algorithm. Can bigger wheels and a lift kit cause this?
Old 07-03-2020, 11:06 PM   #4
Nucc10
Not Yet Wild

My current sol doesn't have a diode or resistor. The upgraded one I see on vids has them. Should I go for that set up?
Old 07-04-2020, 05:46 AM   #5
mrgolf
Old Sky Soldier

Club Car

You most likely pulled a wire loose.
mrgolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2020, 08:34 AM   #6
Nucc10
Not Yet Wild

??? Looks good. The cart ran great all week after the lift kit install. It runs for 20 yards and dies out. After resetting into Tow then Run it repeats. I also have a very small sweet spot where I can depress the pedal about 50% to get power and inch along at about 1 mph. This works maybe 2 times before it needs another reset.
Old 07-04-2020, 11:09 AM   #7
Fairtax4me
Bonafide Nincompoop

Club Car

Sounds kinda like a loose or poor connection or the solenoid is not engaging. Double check all battery connections, solenoid connections and the connections at the controller and motor. Make sure all are clean and tight and none are burned or heat damaged.

You should be able to hear and feel the solenoid clunk. Lift the rear wheels of the ground put it in F, Key On, press the pedal just enough for the micro switch to click. Solenoid should clunk and you should be able to feel it clunk if you put a finger on it.

What controller do you have? The solenoid does need to have a diode on the small posts. Some controllers require a resistor on the large posts and some do not. The diode and resistor both have very important purposes.

With no diode on the small terminals of the solenoid the throttle switch and/or the controller can be damaged. If your controller requires a resistor and you don’t have one the solenoid contacts will arc and burn when the solenoid engages and it will cause the contacts to have no connection which ruins the solenoid.
Fairtax4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2020, 06:00 PM   #8
Nucc10
Not Yet Wild

Thanks for the explanation. The current Solenoid is A black circular small generic One and was on the cart issue free for about 8 years I believe. It doesn't have any resistors or diodes.
Here is a photo of the controller cover. I'm out of town and can't do the test just yet but have a new solenoid with the resistor and diode if it's recommended I use them. Can you tell from the controller cover?

I also bypassed the OBC with the kit and it ran great all week also. The ERIC charger works excellent with the recommended alg 71 for my U.S.Batteries. Thank you.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg A5DCD6FE-8DA2-4728-ACFD-AFFE9C3536FA.jpg (116.5 KB, 0 views)
Old 07-09-2020, 01:54 PM   #9
Nucc10
Not Yet Wild

Just checking in again here to see if the controller above calls for the solenoid to have a diode on the small terminals and a resistor on the large terminals? When I bought the New solenoid This week it came with a resistor but no diode.
I arrive back in town this evening and can run those tests above or just replace it and see how it goes. Since I've got the resistor and also the diode, should I just use them?
Old 07-15-2020, 11:58 PM   #10
Nucc10
Not Yet Wild

All fixed. The solenoid was bad. Thank you.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car