lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-22-2020, 10:13 AM   #1
streetdemon70
Not Yet Wild

Default 1996 txt dcs

Hello,
First time posting. I have a 1996 ezgo txt DCS that i just got and recently got running. It has new batteries and a solenoid. The issue i have is when i go to take off going forward from a stop. The cart struggles to get going. Once its going it runs great. Going in reverse from a stop it has no issues at all. I did some searching but a lot of the info i found was geared more towards series carts. Just needing some ideas of what to look for. Thanks!
streetdemon70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-22-2020, 10:26 AM   #2
Sir Nuke
Master of All Things

E-Z-GO

Default Re: 1996 txt dcs

Be a little more descriptive as to what you mean when you say "The issue i have is when i go to take off going forward from a stop. The cart struggles to get going".

How so? is it just show getting going? or is it jerky? what?
Sir Nuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2020, 10:49 AM   #3
streetdemon70
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Nuke View Post
Be a little more descriptive as to what you mean when you say "The issue i have is when i go to take off going forward from a stop. The cart struggles to get going".

How so? is it just show getting going? or is it jerky? what?
It is very slow to take off. it doesn't jerk or anything.
Old 06-22-2020, 02:23 PM   #4
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

The difference between forward and reverse is the direction the amps flow through the motor's field windings and which direction the motor's armature rotates, so that narrows the problem down to the motor or the controller, or a mechanical issue.

Mechanical issues can be eliminated by pushing cart by hand. Should push with about the same effort in either direction.

If that isn't it, try swapping the F1 and F2 wires on to of the controller. Now the cart will go Forward when Reverse is selected, but only at half speed. If the cart now takes off good going forward (F/R in R), but bad going backwards (F/R in F), than the controller is bad.

The 1206SX controller is a failed design, so replace it with an Alltrax XCT48400-DCS controller.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2020, 02:58 PM   #5
streetdemon70
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnieB View Post
The difference between forward and reverse is the direction the amps flow through the motor's field windings and which direction the motor's armature rotates, so that narrows the problem down to the motor or the controller, or a mechanical issue.

Mechanical issues can be eliminated by pushing cart by hand. Should push with about the same effort in either direction.

If that isn't it, try swapping the F1 and F2 wires on to of the controller. Now the cart will go Forward when Reverse is selected, but only at half speed. If the cart now takes off good going forward (F/R in R), but bad going backwards (F/R in F), than the controller is bad.

The 1206SX controller is a failed design, so replace it with an Alltrax XCT48400-DCS controller.

Thanks for the tips it does push fairly easy. I will try and swap the wires when i get home and see if the problem follows the wire swap.
Old 06-22-2020, 04:22 PM   #6
streetdemon70
Not Yet Wild

Quote:

I went home and swapped the F1 and F2 wires with no difference happening. After a very short (30 second) run i pulled back into the garage and felt the wires. The wire that comes of off the A1 and the wire that comes off of the A2/B+ section were very hot to touch. Not sure if that helps narrow it down at all.
Old 06-22-2020, 04:31 PM   #7
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Check for worn insulation were the F1&F2 wires go around battery box. (See attached image)

Check voltage between F1 and F2, with pedal press about halfway.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Worn field wire insulation.jpg (593.6 KB, 0 views)
Old 06-22-2020, 05:07 PM   #8
streetdemon70
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Check for worn insulation were the F1&F2 wires go around battery box. (See attached image)

Check voltage between F1 and F2, with pedal press about halfway.
Just checked the wires and the F1 wire has a bad rubbed section. The F2 wire has a small section that is rubbed. Would it be good to upgrade to a bigger wire or should i replace it with the same size?

Also to check the volts on F1 and F2 i just check it from the post on the motor right?
Old 06-22-2020, 05:47 PM   #9
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by streetdemon70 View Post
Just checked the wires and the F1 wire has a bad rubbed section. The F2 wire has a small section that is rubbed. Would it be good to upgrade to a bigger wire or should i replace it with the same size?

Also to check the volts on F1 and F2 i just check it from the post on the motor right?
Same sized wire is sufficient. Less than 50A max even with an aftermarket controller. About 25A is the highest I've ever recorded with my setup.

If the copper in the F wires were touching each other or frame, that might be the problem......

Measure between F1&F2 at either the motor or the controller.
Old 06-22-2020, 06:06 PM   #10
streetdemon70
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Same sized wire is sufficient. Less than 50A max even with an aftermarket controller. About 25A is the highest I've ever recorded with my setup.

If the copper in the F wires were touching each other or frame, that might be the problem......

Measure between F1&F2 at either the motor or the controller.
If after the wires are replaced and the Amps are within range what should i look at next? Trying to get this thing going so i can put it in a parade on the 4th.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO